Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Cable Modem just ordered

• 04-02-2003 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was on the phone yesterday with a very helpful NTL sales person (I was wondering if any did exist), who has informed me that I am in fact in an area currently covered by the interet cable (after being told yes then no before). I only have Sky Digital at the moment so they are coming out on Monday to install the works, tv, didital and analogue and internet.

I was quite looking forward to this and just came to this board to see what Personal Firewalls people were recommending. Nortan seems to be the one to go for.

Anyway, I started reading some of the NTL post here and now I'm less optomistic.

Will they turn up on Monday? After all I have to take a day off work. When they turn up is it possible that we are not in the correct area? If so will I be able to tell them not to bother installing anything without being charged for the engineer to come out?

I hope I will be posting a reply to this on Monday from my new broadband connection but frankly I'm not so sure I will be now.....

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Norton will do nicely

congrats on getting them to realise where their own network is

anything can happen ()or not) with NTL, if they don't show or don't rearrange the visit in good time, then use the small claims court, thats what it's for.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spoofer

Anybody know what areas NTL offer broadband in?
    NTL don't seem to know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Thanks Mercury_tilt,

The only problem is I have to give some sort of notice to get off work (being a contractor and all).

A quick question, I have a NIC but I use that to connect to a hub and in turn to connect to my laptop, is it better to get a second nic for the desktop instead of using USB?

Cheers

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Tom
    A quick question, I have a NIC but I use that to connect to a hub and in turn to connect to my laptop, is it better to get a second nic for the desktop instead of using USB?
    By default, NTL will provide you with a cable modem that connects to your PCs USB port. If at all possible, get them to give you an Ethernet connection instead. Then you can use a router like this (€85 delivered to Ireland) to share your connection with your laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Ardmore
    By default, NTL will provide you with a cable modem that connects to your PCs USB port. If at all possible, get them to give you an Ethernet connection instead. Then you can use a router like this (€85 delivered to Ireland) to share your connection with your laptop.

Hmm - the one they gave me (just after christmas) was an ambit ntl: home 100 which has USB and ethernet ports.

Tom, if they didn't show up, PM me and I'll give you details on who to contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Hmm - the one they gave me (just after christmas) was an ambit ntl: home 100 which has USB and ethernet ports.
    That's good to hear - I know two people using NTL and they are both connected with USB (and were recommended to purchase USB hubs), so I put two and two together, and got 3 and a half :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

The modem NTL supply has both ethernet and USB. Both are ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Anyone know where the boundry is on the d16 side?

Your best bet is to ring them directly and they should (ahem!) be able to tell you if you are covered.

It would not surprise me if D16 only has a handful of areas covered.

• Advertisement

I think its just knocklyon, but I could be wrong.

As for giving them a ring, it took them 3 months of saying I couldn't get it before they admitted their records were wrong, so good luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jmm

How about ringing them, and getting a "yes sir, you can get cable" I then get clearance from the boss of the job, who were willing to pay for the cable, so I could work from home.

I call back NTL next day, and get a "sorry sir, you cant get cable now, that was a mistake" so I ask for the supervisor, she goes, "terribly sorry sir, yesterdays rep was wrong in what they said, they'll call back and apologise to you"

So I say "you want me to accept the apology of someone who you just told me lied to me??"

I had my cable installed that saturday at a time of my choosing :)

Granted, I now have the nitemare from hell, trying to get the b******* to clear up a noise problem on my line, which means I get massive packet loss and/or dropped completely, but thats another story. :mad:

Hi Guys,

The installer has just left and I'm very impressed with this new broadband connection. It's a flyer, 15.3 seconds for a 1 mb file. Class, I just hope the sevice stays this good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I've never had any problems with ntl installing my cable, works grand
    its only ever gone down once, which was just before christmas, I rang them and got through after a little wait(less than 8mins) and I was told there was a problem with their server, should be sorted in a few hours.

About them comming to install it, I gave them my mobile number and requested it to be done in the morning.
    went to work at 9am, they rang at 9:30 to let me know they were outside :)
    they dont mind waiting as they're getting paid and its only the start of the mornin ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Tom could you do the following and copy/paste the results.

ping www.eircom.net

ping 193.120.211.34

Chief.

Originally posted by Chief---
    Tom could you do the following and copy/paste the results.

ping www.eircom.net

ping 193.120.211.34

Chief.

I'm on ntl and I get:

C:\>ping www.eircom.net

Reply from 159.134.237.56: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51
    Reply from 159.134.237.56: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51
    Reply from 159.134.237.56: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=51
    Reply from 159.134.237.56: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 159.134.237.56:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: