Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fees demo?

Options
  • 04-02-2003 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone going to the national fees demo tomorrow?, USI are saying that 10000 students will be marching on the dail

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Well then i guess 10000 students are going. You answered your own question :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well hopefully 10,000 students will go up. A high turn out from the Dublin based colleges could lead to a massive protest.

It's €4 return to travel up from NUI, Galway for the protest. (People escaping to go shopping should be shot on sight ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

stduent-protest.jpg
    From rte news:
    February 5, 2003

(20:19) About 100 students staging a 'sit down protest' on the street outside Leinster House have been physically removed by gardaí.

The students began the 'sit down protest' following a massive demonstration outside Leinster House this afternoon, which was attended by up to 8,000 students.

The President of the Students Union of Ireland has said that the numbers that turned out showed there is huge resistance to the re-introduction of fees throughout the country.

A number of opposition TDs took part in the protest.

Student leaders say if tuition fees are re-introduced it would put the cost of a four-year course at €50,000 when living expenses are taken into account.

The Minister for Education, Noel Dempsey, has said that fees may return for those who can afford them. A report from his Department setting out the options is due to be published soon.

If fees do return, it is thought the average student would be expected to pay over €3,000 a year.

Ahern challenged in Dáil over fees issue

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern was challenged in the Dáil this morning to confirm that the Government planned to reintroduce third level fees.

Sinn Féin group leader, Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin, also attacked the Government's record on school facilities, claiming that students and teachers were facing unacceptable conditions.

Mr Ahern insisted that an enormous amount of money was being put into the school building programme, and said the Minister for Education had already made it clear that he was examining third level funding to ensure that more people from disadvantaged backgrounds went to college.

This country is a fúcking joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Advertisement