Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marrying your first girlfriend HELP

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Typedef
    Bah, psuedo-cynicism aside, if you were so right about relationships being founded on the principal of companionship as opposed to love in 'all' instances, then it would be highly unlikely this chap would be getting married to his first girlfriend now, would it?
    You’re not listening, are you? I said: “It all becomes a bit more about companionship and less about fireworks.”. Not in 'all' instances and specifically in relation to as we grow older. You seem have a narrow definition of ‘love’, which is what I was trying to point out - as you grow older, it companionship supersedes the ‘fireworks’ in importance as an component of ‘love’.

So granddad, how did you find and your attitudes towards relationships develop, as you grew older?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    So granddad, how did you find and your attitudes towards relationships develop, as you grew older?

I became less of a bastard, with women, when I grew up.

What goes around comes around and all that, be a prick with women and it 'will' come back to bite you in the ass. Treat women with respect and affection that you will get the same in kind.

At least, in theory.

I accept that perhaps vis-a-vis sex, after say thirty years, there might not be the same keeness for each other as in the first few months of a relationship, but, a change of venue, change of atmosphere etc,etc could do wonders for that I'd think.

However, without love, between two people, I personally don't think that fear of being alone is sufficient premis to base a long-term relationship on.

That is 'my' opinion and I accept there is no accounting for taste. Hopelessly romantic? Perhaps, but, on my Maslowian hirearchy of needs, 'I' need more then companionship with a woman, I need fireworks, even if the accepted wisdom (tm) is that fireworks don't last.

Basically.

However, without love, between two people, I personally don't think that fear of being alone is sufficient premise to base a long-term relationship on.
    Again, no one is saying that (although I've seen it happen).

As for the rest of your post, it bares no relevance to my point - to a point you’d rather debate, perhaps, but not to what you disagreed with.

Read what was posted again. Think about it. Come back in ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Read what was posted again. Think about it. Come back in ten years.

Yeah, people tell me that all the time.

Notably my mother and father who were younger and my age (respectively) when they got hitched. I don't do self exclusive hypocrisy, so, I guess that's not congenital.
    ha.

Go figure.

Notably my mother and father who were younger and my age (respectively) when they got hitched.
    And your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jesus H. You wouldn't believe that The Corinthian and Typedef are ol' stud muffins the way they are bickering would you?!

Back on topic etc etc.

Advertisement