Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harp Lager the forgotten beer

• 04-02-2003 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Anyone else Harp is a nice beer but it just got bad publicity ?
    It's sweet, it's nicer than that mingin' beer Bud

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Nothing wrong with Harp in my opinion, I'm a strict carlsberg man though usually.

Heh, I rather drink the strainings from the devils jockstrap than drink than pansy Bud stuff, it's what I call a trendy beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Harp Export is bloody good. Haven't tasted normal Harp since the late 80's when the taste changed from okay to crap.

Freezing cold Bud is good on a really hot day. Any other time it's crap, hence why it's always crap in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Didn't Harp have a big problem with one of the main distributors in Ireland? Going back at least ten/twelve years.. hence why it wasnt available in the majority of pubs.. although I'm sure a few places have it nowdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

my dad and i used to work in Guinness and Harp is lovely,

Harp export is rocket fuel, I'm from dundalk, it's brewed in Dublin and dundalk, so it's on tap in nearly every pub in dundalk, it's a beer of pure distinction and character. We used to get free slabs of beer each month, breo was also underrated!

Anywhere else in the country and I drink Carlsberg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Galvatron

Double Vodka's for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

Originally posted by mada999
    breo was also underrated!

my god man are you insane... breo!!! absolute filth... should have been called 'FizzyRiverLiffey'

hey man they were free and the taste grew on me!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Galvatron

Lots of things can grow on you that doesn't make them good!

yeah, i suppose ur right, I'm used to bud now but i'd never pay for it!

There's this beer in aldi called steinmeiser (or something) €4.99 for 6 bottles (5%) and it tastes like a cross between carlsberg and harp! it's damn good!

I'm in college in carlow and i went to my christmas party in dec and the boss bought us all 2 drinks.

This was good. So i went to the bar and asked for some bottles of carlsberg the barman said they'd none left so, i had a look behind the bar and i seen bottles of becks. So i got 2 bottles of becks and went over to drink them, 3 mins later one of the lads came over and told me to read the read the label it was non-alchoholic -

like what the **** i used to get it years ago and it was 5% alc !! **** head of a barman he could of told me it was non-alc, i asked for carlsberg first! I bet ya he's one of them gimps who charges for dashes of ****ty nash's orange!!!!

wankstain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by mada999
    breo was also underrated!
    [/B]

breo tastes like lesangie, whoever invented it deserves to be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I used to work doing QC in Dundalk on Harp and its not bad at all.
    The in brewery bar had really nice Harp. The Italian Harp Export being the best.

I think a major problem in pubs is that because it doesn't sell as well, the lines don't get as good servicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Procter & Gamble have been making Breo for years, but they called it Dreft.

As there's so many ex-Guinness employee's about the place, can you tell me if Smithwicks Export still exists and can you get it in Ireland. I remember it from Aer Lingus flights a few years back, but haven't seen it since.

there was smithwicks export when i was working there, but that was back in 1999, i'll try and find out if it's still on the go today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I must say that all of the mainstream lagers in Ireland do nothing for me, and to be honest, I'd put Harp near the bottom of the list (although definitely above Bud).

They're mostly all fine and drinkable, but given a choice, Id go for a decent import or microbrewery beer.

Messers Maguires on the quays in Dublin used to do some excellent beers about 2 or 3 years ago and would have been my beerery of choice, but I hear its gone downhill since.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

My very first pint was a harp, i was 12 :D
    After that i didn't taste it again till i was about 15, it was horrible, havn't touched it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I like it although I rarely see it for sale in bars in Dublin. When I was up North last year it was seemed to be everywhere. It used to be quite cheap to by cans of Harp in my local offie and supermarket although one day the price shot up. I wonder why...........i dint think its considered to be a premium drink.

man i was glad to get back to dundalk over the weekend to get a a few pints of the good stuff,

It should be on draught in every pub instead of buying that shítty american bud or mingin' heineken!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

never really drank harp ever, although i did see it alot when i was up in belfast a few times.

Mostly drink heiniken, my beer of choice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Harp was the first thing I ever drank when I was 12. :)

It tastes OK. I end up drinking dutch mold and linden village a bit in college so most drinks are OK in comparison.

The fave mainstream beer is definately Carlsberg. Yum!

• Advertisement
Advertisement