Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Places In the City Center

Options
  • 04-02-2003 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Grimes killing time between Lectures. Being a staunch Southsider myself :P i was just wondering whats the best places poeple like to go. I fit whatever came into my head first on the poll so if Iv'e left out somwhere and tis might insult somone who i have forget to mention their Regular haunt, just mention it.

Grimes

Best Drinking Hole In Dublin City Center 38 votes

Zanzibar
    0% 0 votes
    Bruxelles
    5% 2 votes
    Fierwerx
    34% 13 votes
    JRB ( Judge Roy Beans)
    7% 3 votes
    Handles
    2% 1 vote
    Mc Turchaills
    15% 6 votes
    The New Palace
    18% 7 votes
    The George
    0% 0 votes
    Dame Lane
    7% 3 votes
    The International
    7% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

none of the above ^^ :p

flannery's down on camden street is usually a good spot on weekends

whelans is also good

rathmines is prolly one of my favourite drinking spots though

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Isaac Butt's, Whelans......

I'll go with Handles for the purpose of the vote, although it's been annoying me with sh1te music recently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Originally posted by kamobe

I'll go with Handles for the purpose of the vote, although it's been annoying me with sh1te music recently :)

How the Hell Did I forget Whelans? Anyway YEah Handles Grew Up in that place. Knew the Bouncers( Chris and Steve) and The Barmen ( manix and johnny) but then the Music went downhill big time. So we all stoped going, no more Handles Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Mc Turchaills ... except no subsitutes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what this new palace??
    has it been re-open I was under the impression it was going to become a gym!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Toast in rathmines tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I like a bit of Hogans meself, dunno why because it is so festeringly packed on the weekends. I think it is a memory lane type place for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i went to dame lane last night and it was ok, but a bit too dead

out of that list i would probably go to bruxelles, (and i rarely go there :))

i went to capitol recently, and liked the comfiness of it. i also went to the bar in blooms hotel, that has been done up, it was great coz we got good seats at about 9, and the music wasn't too loud, and then it got quite busy but nice, and the music never became so loud you had to shout over it.

i like the bar in vicar st, its nice to just sit their and chill after work. when i go out it's usually to go clubbing, i rarely just go to a bar. unless im pub crawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Been a while since I was out in Dublin, but none of the above get my vote..there was one place, if I could just remember the bloody name of it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ixidor

ya just can't beat Whelans no matter how hard you try or how drunk you happen to be while trying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If I have to go out in the city, I'd go to Bruxelles. Pretty much everywhere is too expensive and it annoys me so much that I generally avoid town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gatheringdust

if i was to go to town, id go to macturcaills or long stone...

ds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Handels??? thats full of poncy stuck up underage bitches from Bruce College with small tits.

Like the international myself

[aaawwwwww.... gatheringdust, Posts : 8. Post per day 8. so inncoent;) ]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I like a lovley little place near Grafton Street, its called "This side Up". Its a squeeze at one person but its fun and sometimes people even throw you some money and other attempt to beat you up. You do usually have to bring your own drinks though which can be annoying..... oh wait, im rambleing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

New Palace is not designed to be student/under 23's friendly.
    it is unlikely that they will run a student night. They don't need the hassle. Flannery's does very well and is a popular format.

As regards the new venue (Officially called 'The Picturehouse' btw i.e. the old Camden DeLuxe Theater).

Nice idea... they split the place in two as you come in the door.

One side is trendy bar style and you will eventually be able to get into the nightclub section from here. I have seen the new dancefloor (not open yet) and even though it was nowhere near finished you could see that it is a good layout.

The other side is a small snug type place but it is still quite big in normalpub terms. Goes from inside front doors down to the arch where the steps used to be (right hand side of club as you walk in). The music is generally only on one side. This side of the pub is whre regs can go for a quiet pint (like thats going to happen) with the other regs. Anyone can go in though.

I saw they were putting in the new doors yesterday which appear to be the exit/main entrance for the niteclub. So they must be opening out back soon.

As regards the gym, upstairs is undecided.

You forgot spirit btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    Handels??? thats full of poncy stuck up underage bitches from Bruce College with small tits.

actually most of them are from the institute these days. :p

personally i like the porter house, nice atmosphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Club92 tbh but it's not in the city center.

The last time I was in town Soho was still Pegs, I think that was the last place I was.
    No actually the last place I was was the Redbox. Apparently the Q Bar is good.
    I dunno from the list, Fireworks, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Mewzel
    actually most of them are from the institute these days. :p

Or the "Tute" if u will:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    Or the "Tute" if u will:rolleyes:

i stand corrected :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Not mad about any of the options, so voted for Bruxelles
    My choices would include Messer Maguires and Whelans. Maybe the Porter House too but that would be more for novelty beer value, don't actually go there all that often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i got the beer in there the other week (porterhouse)
    It was vile.
    tasted like someone had shat in a bucket of water and drained it into a glass.
    They used to sell Corona, which rocks.
    But now they just plain suck.
    I change my mind about places every week but at the moment I'm quite fond of AKA for pulling women, and Messer Maguires for pure craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by fisty
    i got the beer in there the other week (porterhouse)
    It was vile.
    tasted like someone had shat in a bucket of water and drained it into a glass.
    They used to sell Corona, which rocks.
    But now they just plain suck.
    I haven't been there in a while but surely there was plenty of other beers you could have tried. Thats kind of the point to the whole place. Where else in Dublin can you get chocolate stout?

The stuff they make themselves I wouldn't be that big a fan of. I have have to pretend that I'm enjoying oyster stout (don't forget to smile):D Anywhere with a beer menu is good in my book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 arloeisenberg

yeah handles man i grew up in that place too, it seems to have lost its charm tho, less packed and the music...meh, i remember the old days where the place'd be packed and people would be dancing the whole works...but now it's like a ghostbar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

was heaving the other night when I was in it ....
    rose coloured spectecles on your part perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 arloeisenberg

Handels was heaving? damn it's time to take a trip back so...hmmm maybe i've just been unlucky on my visits, thanks for the heads-up i'll be back. Ta V much

Advertisement