Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my dell?

Options
  • 04-02-2003 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell XPS T450.
    I am thinking of buying a new case/mobo/CPU?
    I have 512Mb of SDRAM and a 64mb GF3 Ti200
    and a 80Gb Deskstar.
    What problems would be incured with using any off this stuff on the new case/mobo/CPU?
    Has anyone done anything similar to this?
    any good ideas on what to buy?
    any help would be great?
    sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

depending on what you upgrade to - you'll probably need to ditch the ram too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

hmmm, doesn't sound like an upgrade, more like a complete replacement. Considered selling the box whole? ie. keep the monitor, kb, etc and just sell the actual machine itself. You'd probably get more for the whole thing than you would from the parts. Also you could buy the parts from someone (say komplett) and still have all the fun of building it yourself. You'd probably get a good deal on a kit.

just a thought.

Ape

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have upgraded one of these machines before. Its a lot of hassle really. Your psu will need to be replaced, (or you could rewire it) and a bit of haxoring will need to be done to the motherboard mountings to get the board to fit. You'll have to look up the pinout of the front panel connector before you can hookup the power and reset switches, and the led's. So basically you would be better off buying a new case.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Dell machines are a nigthmare to upgrade, most people have been lamed with eth onboard graphics card which emans they loose out on a agp slot. You will have to buy a new case, mobo, cpu, fan & heatsink & ram....AMD are the way forward, with a good asus mobo, just keep teh Graphics card & HD sell everything else & start from scratch :)

Advertisement