Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipx -> tcp tunnelling

Options
  • 20-03-2001 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

ok story is we have no ipx on our lan here ... which basically means few multiplayer games are supported

anybody know a good proggie if any that can fake or tunnel ipx over a tcp lan?

I know kahn did it over the net and kali too but need one for a lan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

why don't you just install IPX drivers on the machines? Only really old games use IPX anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

it's the UL lan ... those that answer your question?

Starcraft even the rescently release RA2 uses ipx for multiplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not really. If you have access to a windows CD just install the IPX on the machines? Your a resourceful chap smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Doesnt kali do that, fake IPX

yup but over we'd have to keep setting up a server for everybody here

Hobbes ... not even I can get access to that ... plus I'm not going to do it to every single computer here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Correct me if Im wrong here, buuuut, in UL you have LAN connections in ur rooms yeah ? so like if the entire Network uses only TCP/IP, why not just install IPX only on the machines you need them on? , it wont affect the other machines, or the rest of the network for that matter, I dont really know what way they have the set up down there so explain if what ive just said didnt work

RentZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Do you have admin access (staff/postgrad)? If you do then just get yer mits on an NT4 cd. Go to the network panel in Control panel and install IPX on your machine. Do that on the machines that will be used for the games, should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Possibly the UL routers aren't configured to propagate IPX. In which case LK has a valid point.

it's win2k and no ipx period. only way is TCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I believe that LK is refering to the student machines rather than the villages, and all college machines would be admin restricted naturally. Just to clear things up. Now instead of pointing out the obvious (but unavailable) solutions, try viable solutions:P

Redesigned

• Advertisement

exactly ... yet still no help ;-)

Hmmm wonder they release a play starcraft by email yet?

I was talking to sonic earlier and meation how skynet would let us put a machine in to host servers and stuff and could stick up some sorta kali/kahn server I suppose ... the die hard players won't mind ... plus that way peeps should be able to play peeps off campus too in theory but that would be next semester.

Advertisement