Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Monolith games are so so-so...

Options
  • 22-03-2001 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

They say attitude is everything and if this is how every employee in Monolith thinks then it would explain alot about the mediocreness of their games. (This little extract is taken from an arrticle about Doom 3)

What was your reaction when you heard that there would be a new Doom?

My first reaction was of complete and utter disinterest. Well there is a chance my eyebrow did a slight twitch but I assure you that there was no Jumping for Joy. Such a small thing as a video game has very little impact on the Larger world of reality. There are many more important things to spend one's attention on. People are starving to death for peanut butter's sake!

Do you think it is a good idea to develop a new Doom title? Will expectations of gamers and developers alike be too high?

I believe that many people will enjoy a new Doom and will probably even pay many of their hard earned dollars and euros to get their grubby little hands on a copy. My experience has been that insular communities such as the Hard core fps gaming community have very unrealistic expectations and are almost always very disappointed by the final product. Many of them do not understand the process of game development which is, in part, the fault of the Developers who themselves often do not have the best grasp of the subject. So the Developers invariably promise to deliver amazingly fun and innovative features that due to the Reality of poor scheduling and a lack of understanding of the capabilities of their team as well as the ubiquitous interference on the part of the publisher do not get into the final game. Very often the final project is a mere shadow of what the designers were aiming for and they feel that if only they had a "few more months" they could have ironed out all the bugs and completed all of the left out features.

If you've had any hands-on experience or viewing of the new Doom technology, what are your comments about it?

As I've focused my attentions elsewhere I have not seen the new Doom technology and as a result have no comments available.

[This message has been edited by Lex_Diamonds (edited 22-03-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The first answer is blatantly taking the mick - come on, please, we claim that yanks can't see our sarcasm, don't lets all end up on the other side of that coin. smile.gif

The second answer, however, is blatantly true. I couldn't agree more. Doesn't mean Doom 3 will be a bad game, natch, but he's got a VERY good point nonetheless.

By the way, I think a lot of folk would take issue with describing No One Lives Forever (and arguably Shogo) as "so-so".

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Greenbean growls

Greenbean barks "No-one lives forever favourite fps ever".

Greenbean growls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Lithtech; quality engine.

Bloke who said that is either inapropriatly sarcastic or else a stupid ****.

Advertisement