Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting a pc and laptop

• 04-02-2003 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

what is the cheapest and easiest way it can done laptop running windows 98 and pc running windows xp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'm not sure about win 98 but I think there is a direct connect option ... you can connect with serial or parallel .. this is kinda slow ...I'd say get a pcmcia network card and a pci network card and a crossover ethernet cable .. how much would this cost? have a look in the for sale board .. there may be something there that you could use ... komplett or peats or one of those guys should sell crossover cables ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If the laptop already has a network card in it, pick up a PCI network card for the desktop and either buy a CAT5 crossover cable or do what I did and bastardize a standard cable.

Alternatively, do what I also did: If you are going to the expense of buying a PCMCIA network card for the laptop, go the whole hog and go wireless. Skip over to Ebay and pick up some cheap PCI and PCMCIA 802.11b cards. Should be able to pick them up for around $40 each plus postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i agree with milltown.....just get a NIC for the laptop or desktop, whicever is missing one!

Seriously man, the direct connect is VERRRRRY slow and doesnt always work.

NIC is pi$$ easy to setup and relativly fast :)

stick a wanted ad in the, err, wanted section.

Advertisement