Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT Monitor goes red sometimes.

• 04-02-2003 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

My monitor, 17" Gateway EV700, goes red now and then. It's three years old and did it a couple of times when it was fairly new but then stopped. Lately it's happening more regularly.
    A light slap on the side makes it behave again. I'm guessing that either the green or blue signal is dropping out somewhere. Will I have to replace it soon or is it fixable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

This happened my old monitor only it was green coming from the sides of the screen after it was on for a few hours.. they said the monitor couldn't be fixed so i had to get a new monitor.. and the damn thing was under warranty up until a week before i phoned :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

3yrs old...... 99.98% chance its a dodgy electrical connection somewhere.

try wiggling your lead next time it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Same thing happened to me with a crapped-out secondhand Gateway EV500 (which I still have and use) turning yellow. Being something of a daredevil, I removed the back cover (after unplugging it for a couple of hours*) and found a section of the monitor covered in black dust- kinda like it was slightly burned. Knowing sod all about CRT's I just cleaned up the affected area and replaced the back cover.

Perfecto!

I thought I'd fluked it, but when the problem recurred a year later I repeated my procedure and was once again successful.

* For the love of god be careful if you're tinkering around inside monitors. IT'S QUITE POSSIBLE TO KILL YOURSELF EVEN AFTER IT'S BEEN UNPLUGGED FOR SOME TIME!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

* For the love of god be careful if you're tinkering around inside monitors. IT'S QUITE POSSIBLE TO KILL YOURSELF EVEN AFTER IT'S BEEN UNPLUGGED FOR SOME TIME!!

Maybe that warning should be at the beginning of the post :D

Anyway if you must risk death to do something like this, DONT touch it.. get some compressed air!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

it happens when your wires arent connecting correctly, or your crt is buggered up. if it happens only every now and then id say its probably the crt acting the mickey.
    anyway, try checking the pins on your db15 plug, and if they are all fine and accoutned for, theres not much you can do.
    dont bother opening up a monitor, its not worth the hassle. youll probably electrcute yerself!

new monitors are cheap these days anyway, and you can probably pick up a 17" second hand for about 40 lids anyway, if it finally dies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bs217

If you want a replacement 17", similar spec, I'm selling a few here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=740168#post740168

Advertisement