Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tape/cd and video/dvd

Options
  • 04-02-2003 9:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

ok my dad is kinda in charge of a local museum and he's mad in keeping records of everything that went on there during the past 20 years. This included loads of tape recordings and old video's.
    he asked me today that he wants to back up all this data on audio cd's and dvd so heres the question!!

how can i get a tape onto a cd. is it only a matter of pluging in the stereo into the computer and saving it onto the harddrive to burn onto the cd!! is there more to it than that!!

how can i get old vhs videos onto dvd. we dont have a dvd burner on our computer but he said he'll but one if nessasary( good for me!!)
    is the method kinda the same as the tape. pluging in the video into the computer, saving it and then burning it. is there software out there to clean it uo as these videos are kinda old and have been sitting around a while!!

one last question. if i burn dvds will they play on any dvd player ie. will they have to conform to one of the four standard that are out there and will they paly on MAC dvd players:confused:

please help
    any hints and tips will be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Here go's. I have limited knowledge but it's a start.
    how can i get a tape onto a cd
    You need a decent souncard with an audio in port which connects to your stereo (headphone jack maybe). You then need some MP3 ripping software (MP3 Encoders) , one of these will surely take the sound in and convert to MP3. You then need to burn the MP3's onto a CD-R/RW. You will need an MP3 compatible DVD player to playback these MP3's as well as a CD burner on your PC.
    how can i get old vhs videos onto dvd
    Again you need a decent graphiocs card with video in. You will also need software that captures video and will probably encode it to MPEG format. You can complicate it by going further and making VCD's (VCD Help. Again you will need a compatible DVD player.

If you buy a DVD burner for your PC, I think you will need a really high class DVD player to read these DVD-R's

Advertisement