Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Bush may get involved in the north

Options
  • 04-02-2003 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

Bush may get involved in the north
    Tuesday, February 04 by webmaster

US Envoy to Ireland Richard Haass has said that the US would do its best to help if the northern irish parties look for the involvement the US with either Bush or Powell. Haass was speaking after a meeting with Brian Cowen (TD, FF, Offaly-Laois), Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Who will be Bush's next target: Iraq, Iran, IRA? One wonders about the governemnt's softly, softly approach. Is there an agenda we don't know about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Don't worry Victor at least the IRA or Ireland don't have WMD *cough* OIL *cough*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't worry Victor at least the IRA or Ireland don't have WMD *cough* OIL *cough*.

Some of thier leaders are pretty iol-y though...and they have WLocalD...

Mike.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm sorry, but is that guy's name really Dick (H)aass?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Phoenix takes up the story www.phoenix-magazine.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Phoenix takes up the story www.phoenix-magazine.com

I've heard worse ideas....

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think the Good Friday agreement needs cementing. The IRA needs to disarm. Tony Blair has made much progress with Northern Ireland. I hope that his leadership of Labour is secure over Saddam.

But the US have been helpful on NI - It is welcome Bush is getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cork explain what you mean when you say "I think the Good Friday agreement needs cementing".

As far as I can see the IRA are disarming (maybe not fast enough), what Trimble wants is it happening in public and the IRA surrendering which would play right into hands of the disadents.

Judging by the pigs ear Bush is making of the Iraq & Korean situations and the disaster that he has made of the US economy I am sorry to hear he's getting involved in NI. All we need now is Rumsfeld dispatching B52's to realign Belfast :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Some of thier leaders are pretty iol-y though...and they have WLocalD...

thats a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    I think the Good Friday agreement needs cementing.

From article 29.6 of Bunreacht na hEireann:
    The State may consent to be bound by the British-Irish Agreement done at Belfast on the 10th day of April, 1998, herinafter called the Agreement.

Any institutions established by or under the Agreement may exercise the powers and functions thereby conferred on it in respect of all or any part of the island of Ireland notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution conferring a like power or function on any person or any organ of State appointed under or created or established by or under this Constitution. Any power or function conferred on such an institution in relation to the settlement or resolution of disputes or controversies may be in addition to or in substitution for any like power or function conferred by this Constitution on any such person or organ of Sate as aforesaid.

"needs to be cemented" my ass. That's as "cemented" as we get in a legal sense in this country. Everything not in the legal sphere is just policy. Policies change. Therefore it's as "cemented" as it's ever going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Who will be Bush's next target: Iraq, Iran, IRA? One wonders about the governemnt's softly, softly approach. Is there an agenda we don't know about?

In exchange for British help in the war, the US will reclaim Ireland for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by gandalf
    Cork explain what you mean when you say "I think the Good Friday agreement needs cementing".

As far as I can see the IRA are disarming (maybe not fast enough), what Trimble wants is it happening in public and the IRA surrendering which would play right into hands of the disadents.

Judging by the pigs ear Bush is making of the Iraq & Korean situations and the disaster that he has made of the US economy I am sorry to hear he's getting involved in NI. All we need now is Rumsfeld dispatching B52's to realign Belfast :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

The Good Friday agreement needs to be built upon. There is no going back to shootings, bombings and punishment beatings.

Clinton did a good job with Ireland. George W may also do a good job. Give the man a chance.

Tony Blair has done very well with regards Ireland - A point that we in this country should not forget.

Bertie has also dobe well. Although I would prefer Albert.

Gandalf, please change the topic from:

[Article] Bush may get involved in the north

to:

[Satire] Bush may get involved in the north

it seems to have gone over some people'd heads.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/390387?view=Eircomnet
    US demands Cuba frees suspected conspirators
    Wednesday, 19th March, 2003
    AFP

"We call on the Cuban government to release them immediately," US State Department spokesman Mr Richard Boucher said.

The Cuban government said yesterday it had arrested "several dozen people" accused of involvement in a "conspiracy" allegedly led by the head of the US Interests Section in Havana, Mr James Cason.

The arrests came after officials admitted that tensions between the two Cold War rivals had reached boiling point.

State run television in Cuba reported that the detainees were being held for "provocations" and "subversive activities" allegedly hatched by Mr Cason, whom Mr Castro has called "a bully with diplomatic immunity."

Mr Castro has also threatened to close the US Interests Section, and Havana has imposed limits on the travel of US diplomats on the island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

George W may also do a good job. Give the man a chance.

I wouldn't give the man the steam off my piss. Go away Cork, you're bringing shame on my city and county.

adam

Advertisement