Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jeff buckley's latest

Options
  • 04-02-2003 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

what do you all think of the jeff buckley/gary lucas songs to no one?

ive heard some bad reviews, but i like it. the first track is stunning. it's definately no where near as consitent as the other stuff, and has no where near the amount of polish, but you can hear how lovely his voice sounds on the cd, despite all this. there's a couple of funny moment though, such as the point in mojo pin where he sounds like he's having some sort of fit, or the harmonica in the middle of grace!!!! (maybe im just being picky coz its not what im used to but still!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i thought it was interesting, and there are some great songs. but the versions of the songs we already have are a bit ... pointless. i'm just wondering how much they're going to get out of jeff buckley. he released one album in his musical career and since he's been dead they've managed to get four albums (two live) and a collection of eps from the grace period. speaking of which: it's going for something crazy like 45 euro in HMV, so i'm certainly not getting it, but is it any good?

em, that song she is free (or is she free or whatever) is damned good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm i picked up the grace eps boxset for e25 in hmv before christmas.. well worth it imo, especially for the studio version of kanga-roo.. and the way young lovers do.. both brill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

The first track, the Ediath Piaf cover, is totally amazing - especially if you ever hear the original. I agree though there is a bit of a necro-pheliac buzz from the record company, even though the Gary Lucas thing is actually independently released.
    They could have compiled a lot of the stuff from "My Sweetheart..." and the more recent live albums and made a really good quality double album. But if they did that then eejits like me wouldn't go out and but them the second they appear in the shops so........
    If you don't own a Jeff Buckley album, Grace is only 8 euro in Tower at the moment - which is pretty cheap for one of the best albums ever.
    Seeyiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i have all the things in that box set on single anyway, apart from live at the bataclan, so just say the word and ill have tapes at the ready AGAIN!:)

actually, i kind of prefer the live version kanga*roo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Its a bit over the top all right all the realeses from a man who only made one album.

But that album is one of the best off all time and for such a great artist to die so early in his carear is extremly tragic.

The songs to no one has some great moments I like cruel a lot and the early versions on the grace songs show how the songs matured.

Its definatly only for obsessive colectionists though. Grace,My sweetheart the drunk and Mystery white boy are the best realeses and should satisfy most people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement