Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service summer job

• 04-02-2003 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

does anyone know if they still need people for during the summer and if so how do you go about getting a job? my sister worked in the civil service a few summers ago and was just wondering if they still took people on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by fizzy
    does anyone know if they still need people for during the summer and if so how do you go about getting a job? my sister worked in the civil service a few summers ago and was just wondering if they still took people on.
    I get the impression they won't be taking many on this year (given tight budget and recruitment over the last few years). However I think they do keep panels of part-timers, certainly for low level jobs. Try http://www.publicjobs.gov.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

check out website but probably better to phone civil service commission at 6615611

unfortunately there is a huge cutback in spending at the moment but you never know ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Sorry to re-open the thread after so many days without a post, but I was just wondering how do you go about getting into the civil service?

I'm currently a 2nd year computing student and was considering applying for something like a junior admin or something of the sort, but just who do I appply to and how?

And do you have to apply to each department seperately such as Finance or Foreign affairs, or what??

The more info you can provide the better.

Thanks,
    memphis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They usually avertise in the main papers for either specific jobs (professions, management) or for panels (clerical / administrative). See the above website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They advertise postions at http://www.publicjobs.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I would recommend finding somebody that you know who works in the civil service and asking them to recommend you for a temporary job. I'm currently a temp in one of the health boards and this is how I got in. There's different channels for full time positions, ie they have to advertise and then set up an interview panel for candidates they see fit for the position.

Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

John, you're in the Limerick area? You don't know if they're hiring this summer?

(no, I'm not trying to use you as a leg in the door btw, I'm just wondering - given my current student status I'll have to find something for the summer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Hi sceptre,

Yes I am based in Limerick. Haven't heard anything about them hiring temporary people for the summer although keep an eye on the website, www.mwhb.ie. I know that they will be hiring permanent grade III's and IV's soon but I'm sure you're not interested in that.

There was some kind of student summer scheme in the past but the money was complete p1ss. I'll keep an ear open for you anyway.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks John, much appreciated.

You're certainly right about the student summer scheme - it was grand for someone who someone who either had a job and could do the scheme as something fo a nixer or someone who wanted to sleep for most of the summer - 200 hours isn't much really. All abandoned nationwide now from what I hear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Looks like a lot of the contract positions aren't being renewed.
    As previously noted- all jobs on offer are on the web- www.publicjobs.ie and also in Thursday's Irish Independent, and Friday's Irish Times.

At the moment there is a competion for the position of AO (Administrative Officer) / Third Secretary in the Department of Foreign Affairs. The requirement for applying is an honours degree by 31-12-03. Nature of job is policy related (but really depends on what Department you end up in). Salary is around E24k (incremented annually) but get all the details from the website or by calling the commission.

BTW closing date for the above competition is tomorrow- so get your skates on.

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement