Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gprs

• 04-02-2003 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Jeepers, two topics from me in one night. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, Just messing around with email of the 7650. Now I'm not to familiar with GPRS. I understand that I am charged per kb. Upstream and Downstream ?

If I check my email, it seems to maintain an open connection to the mailbox. I'd image this passes data back and forth, checking for new email etc, thus me getting charged for extra traffic ?

If I leave the GPRS connection on all the time, does the phone send data back and forth at all ? again cost me extra ?

How do I go about using HSCSD to check my email ? I used to use this with my 6210 from the pc and it was lovely, and cheaper than gprs it appears.

thanks !
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

I understand that I am charged per kb. Upstream and Downstream ?

Yes - Up and Down is counted, you can use the Log feature of the phone to keep track of the data volume. Per Session and also Cumulative (but be sure to reset this on the montly GPRS billing date).

I'm assuming you're with Vodafone as you mentioned HSCSD later on, Vodafone GPRS charges are high (compared to O2's). If you are going to use it a lot you should subscribe to Vodafone's GPRS1 option plan, still pricey at approx. Eur 12 for the subscription incl. first 1MB, with each additional KB costing Eur 0.68 (i.e. Eur 6.96 for each additional MB), however not choosing an option means GPRS data costs 2c per KB which adds up fast. (If you are a ShareTime user you can get a GPRS5 option).

If I check my email, it seems to maintain an open connection to the mailbox. I'd image this passes data back and forth, checking for new email etc, thus me getting charged for extra traffic ?

For e-mail: unless you request/agree to retrieve e-mail, you select a message that hasn't been downloaded yet, or you send an email (with send immediately chosen in the mailbox settings), it won't just go and check, at least it hasn't for me (there is no check interval setting - on V3.12 anyway) with the default Messaging application.

I'd suggest you take a look at Cibenix's Active Mail application, as this can be set to just download headers only / or with body / or with attachments, schedule downloads, and set up rules for what mail to download. So you can save mucho Kb taking down only what you need when on the go.
    If I leave the GPRS connection on all the time, does the phone send data back and forth at all ? again cost me extra?

Not unless you have an application installed that does it for you (like IRC or an Active Mail scheduled mail check), or an Off Network MMS is retrieved. Read The Corinthian's topic on "free" MMS. Also you don't really need to be connected to GPRS 24/7, read Trap4's post about doing things to conserve battery life.
    How do I go about using HSCSD to check my email ? I used to use this with my 6210 from the pc and it was lovely, and cheaper than gprs it appears.

HSCSD can be cheaper for some applications, GPRS can be cheaper for others. There are some details of what to keep in mind for using either one here.

To set up HSCSD, ensuring it is activated for your Vodafone Account and the SIM you are using:

Go to the Main Menu and open Tools, Settings, Connection...

Select and Open Access Points
    Press Options with the left function key and a menu appears.
    Select New Access Point
    Joystick Right and choose Use default Settings
    Connection Name: Voda HSCSD (or what ever you want to label it)
    Data Bearer: High Speed GSM
    Dial-Up Number: You ISP's number (e.g. +353876202222 for Voda Mobile ISP)
    Username: Your ISP's Login name (e.g. your @e-merge.ie or @vodafone.ie email address for the Voda Mobile ISP)
    Prompt Password: No (if you dont want to have to type it in at every connection)
    Password: Your ISP's Password (e.g. your My Vodafone login password for the Vodafone Mobile ISP)
    Authentication: Depends (use Normal for Voda Mobile ISP)
    Gateway IP: leave blank
    Data call type: Depends (only been able to use max ISDN V.110 for Voda Mobile ISP)
    Max Data Speed: Depends on Data call Type selected and modem you are dialing into (use 38400 for Voda Mobile ISP when ISDN V.110 selected)

Press Options with the left function key and a menu appears.

Select Advanced Settings
    Phone IP Address: Default Dynamic or enter in a Static one (use Dynamic for Voda Mobile ISP)
    DNS Addesses: Leave Blank when server sends them, Enter them in if required (Leave Blank for Voda Mobile ISP)

Press Back with the right function key. Your new Access Point should be saved and you can use this with any app that requires a (web) full internet connection.

HTH,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thanks for the extremely comprehensive reply Brian !

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dear god Dub you are far too helpfull !!! you should be on the phones on child line or somthing ?

Advertisement