Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr to ask roy to return to irish international scene?

• 05-02-2003 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Heard today on 2fm that he was in manchester and wanted to speak to roy keane about returning, and alex is trying to convince roy to quit the international scene altogether and focus solely on his club carreer....nothing about it on fai.ie ... anybody else hear anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

From UTV newsroom -

Keane famously abandoned the Irish Soccer Team
    in Saipan after a bust up with former manager Mick
    McCarthy setting in motion a chain of events which
    many believe led directly to McCarthy`s resignation.

It is thought that any meeting between the two will
    be kept low key and will most likely take place in
    Manchester.

Sources close to the Mayfield man have said that
    he has not yet made up his mind about his future in
    the Irish soccer team, but the general feeling is that
    he is keen to don the green once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chippy Brady

It wouldn't surprise me if he decides not to come back. He had made the decision to retire from international football after the world cup before the bust up with McCarthey. He wants to prolong his club career and also, it is harder for players to shake off injuries when they are 30 plus. He won't be the first, look at how Bergkamp and Shearer have had their careers being revitalised after making the decision to retire early. They have longer breaks to recover and have less games. I hope Roy does come back though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

imo i'd love to see him leading out the irish team again but will hr players play with keane for what he did???

Quinn, Staunton, and Kelly are gone. Also, McAteer didn't make the squad and the younger players like Robbie, John O'Shea and Duff look up to him. I don't think there would be a problem with the players. I think there might be a problem with the fans. The fans seem to be split over whether he should come back or stay away. Another point, it wasn't just McCarthey Roy had a problem with, it was also the FAI and they haven't exactly changed over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness, I think that very few of the fans have an issue with him coming back. Most people want to forget about the Saipan fiasco and concentrate on the future, with or without Roy Keane.

If he comes back, great. We need him. But if he doesn't, the job still has to be done, and talking about him won't be any use.

The fact that he's at least meeting with Kerr is quite a good sign. The word was that he wasn't impressed with the selection of Kerr, but if he's going to meet with him then thats a step forward. Obviously Ferguson wants him to stay in retirement, but you can understand that. I think people overestimate the influence Ferguson has on him. He's a determined guy, and if he decides that he wants to do it, I can't see him being stopped by anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I really do hope he does come back as we need his inspiration for now qualifying for Euro 2004... the irish time has dug itself a hole and its now up to Roy to come back and dig us out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i hope he never plays for ireland again, he's a little upstart twit that deserves a good kickin (in my opinion)

Bateman, your right about Fergusen having a big influence on him, but surely Roy will feel he has unfinished business with the Irish team. He never lead out Ireland in an international tournament.

>>>He never lead out Ireland in an international tournament.

He won't cry over that though. He wants to win tournaments, not to lead out teams. He is better off in the team than out of it. Better for him, better for Brian Kerr, and better for Ireland. I don't think many rationally minded people argue against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Weird thing is he used to play for Kerr in the FAI /FAS thing in the late 80s

kdjac

• Advertisement

Long time ago though. There can be no doubt that Kerr is tactically very strong, he is unproven when it comes to "dealing" with highly-paid players (Eddie Gormley aside!), and so Keane should probably give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems to do well in "discussions", as the FAI seemingly gave him the job on the basis of strong interviews...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

There will be lotta pissed off people if he doesnt come back. He said last year that he wants to play for Ireland again but only if Mick goes. So I hope he means that and wasnt just trying to make life harder for mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I was listening to Radio 1 this morning, and Tony Cascarino was on it and he made quite a good point about the whole Roy Keane issue:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/story.asp?newsid=3875

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 eric_the_head

I hope Saint Roy comes back into the fold.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Not for the first time, I think the ice cream man is talking utter arse. Surely noone can be surprised a club manager wants one of his players to retire from international ball and concentrate on club football. Also I do not think Fergies comments would deflect any flak from Roy if he chose to retire, the whole affair has stirred up to many emotions for the book to be passed now. Either Roy, or the FAI & Mick are going to get caned for this one depending on each persons own perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by Washout
    I really do hope he does come back as we need his inspiration for now qualifying for Euro 2004... the irish time has dug itself a hole and its now up to Roy to come back and dig us out of it
    if the irish team dug their hole and keane comes to dig them out then wont keane be just digging a bigger hole???

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    if the irish team dug their hole and keane comes to dig them out then wont keane be just digging a bigger hole???
    Maybe... but at least its a better hole than we're already in.

Advertisement