Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I got a starting problem too

Options
  • 05-02-2003 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I have a 98 Transit 2.5 diesel and it's hard to start most cold mornings.

There's no glow plugs in it so that can't be the problem, I got a new starter motor and battery recently.

It cranks and cranks with lots of power but will not fire, it's had a new air filter too, what else can cause poor starting?

(This sorta harps back to my earlier thread about reving or not whilst cranking)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

clogged injectors ?
    low compression (worn rings) ?
    Fecked Fuel Pump?

is it running super wotherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I would suggest the following;

1) check the water-temperature sensor. If could possibly be that your Automatic choke is not coming on or is sticky... I believe thats an easy fix...1) service the choke mech 2) but new temp sensor...beware can be up to e50!

2) what level is the diesel tank at? Full, empty, half way?

3) Are you starting it on level ground?

4) Do you ever get jerking while driving? If so, check your injectors, fuel filter, then fuel pump, then check for an epileptic foot (joke)

To me sounds like the choke though...OR a head gasket possssibly with damp plugs from coolant seeping into the pots...
    HTH
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

What kinda milage is on it Neil?Cold mornings are the best test for a worn diesel engine.I presume you must get it going eventually.How?By towing maybe?
    It might also be an injector pump problem,or excess diesel valve.The only real way to find out that, is by bringing it to the garage,or a Diesel Injection Engineer for them to test the fuel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks for the replies peeps, I had the battery checked and 2 cells were almost dry!

I'm in a bit of a debate with the garage who sold it to me a few months ago, they say I should check the cells water level every month, I say impolite things back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

So was the battrey the problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement