Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network problem

Options
  • 05-02-2003 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

we have a network set up at home with 4 computers 3 of which are wireless and 1 is joined by ethernet. the problem only the 1 wireless comp that is joined ncan see it. any suggestions on how we can forward packets on?????????????.
    we all have windows2000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Are you talking about a proxy server? are all the PC's able to ping each other? Are they all on the same IP range? A little more info would help us help you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 loppy1011

we have changed the ip rage of the wireless section say to 10.0.0.1 and so on and the lan section is 197.0.0.1 at the moment only only 1 computer can see us all that is the one that has the 2 network cards

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Set up a network bridge to 'bridge' the ethernet and the wireless connection? I had to do that for a unconnected firewire port so my ethernet lan would work although this was on xp.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

does your wireless access point have an IP?
    is it hooked into a switch/hub with the Ethernet PC?

how is the network setup physically?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

we just have 3 computers with wireless network cards (1 ethernet card in one of these) and a computer with an ethernet card only!

The computer with the wireless card and the wireless card is connected physically with cat 5 cable to the pc with the ethernet card,

so the 3 computers with the wireless cards can all communicate effectively, but the one with the ethernet card only can communicate with the computer with both the ethernet card and the wireless card.

We can play starcraft 4 player using UDP protocol and the computer with the 2 cards hosting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

the laptop you'rfe using as the bridge isn't setup to actually bridge to link.

try setting the "gateway" field in the ethernet-only machine to the Ip of the wireless+ethernet machine.

I haven't layed around with routing in windows much yet.

emm.... could just be me, but dont you need a access point if you want to connect an wired network to a wireless? Also try putting the lan section onto the same 10.0.0.* range as the wireless.

infact the easyest way to do this is..

Get a Hub or Switch. Set the two PC's with ethernet cards up on it. Then get a wireless Access point that has a ethernet connection on it. Plug all them into the hub/switch. then have the AP setup to bridge a ethernet/wireless network. Then bobs your uncle you should have them all working then.

Otherwise when ever the PC with the wireless and ethernet card is down or shutdown. your network wont work!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

might not be correct here but when the wireless pcs are talking to each other, the setting in the wireless card are set to adhoc.. its in the properties there somewhere..... If i remember correctly when i was doing a similar opperation i had to use the other setting cant remember what the name is .... i also had to use another gadget to get it working....... (Have seen it work ....)
    wireless to wireless worked for me using adhoc, to get the other working, i think and i'm not 100% sure you need the wired pc connected to the gadget with antenna, set the settings on other wireless pcs to other setting thats available (Non Adhoc) Hey presto... done... One problem ! the gadaget that you dont have costs more than a wireless net card ... only suggestion, buy a 4th wireless net card...

Originally posted by tmcd
    might not be correct here but when the wireless pcs are talking to each other, the setting in the wireless card are set to adhoc.. its in the properties there somewhere..... If i remember correctly when i was doing a similar opperation i had to use the other setting cant remember what the name is .... i also had to use another gadget to get it working....... (Have seen it work ....)
    wireless to wireless worked for me using adhoc, to get the other working, i think and i'm not 100% sure you need the wired pc connected to the gadget with antenna, set the settings on other wireless pcs to other setting thats available (Non Adhoc) Hey presto... done... One problem ! the gadaget that you dont have costs more than a wireless net card ... only suggestion, buy a 4th wireless net card...

I think you mean wireless access point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

I think you mean wireless access point?
    Correct...... Gadget = wireless access point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by tmcd
    might not be correct here but when the wireless pcs are talking to each other, the setting in the wireless card are set to adhoc..

surely adhoc is for 2 , like an XO cable, his network has 3 wireless nics

hmmm... thats what I thought as well. That only two wireless nics can talk to each other.
    I wonder can the O/P open two ping windows to two of the other wireless PC's at the same time. Or will one not be seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ive used ad hoc mode to link three pcs up.

easier way to do all this is to use ICS (internet connection sharing)

just do a google for ICS and you will find loads of sites explainign how to do it. simple really.

Advertisement