Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows2000 and NTP

Options
  • 05-02-2003 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I look after some pc's at work (in our departments little workgroup, isolated from the main domain), and mostly they are NT workstation ... I had a NT server that I had timeserv on and used that to get time from ntp.maths.tcd.ie, and then all the NT workstations got their time from it (using timeserv as well)... works like a dream ...

But now I want to make my selection of servers Win2k ... (including the time server) ... how do I set it up so that the NT workstations get their time from a win 2k machine ... I've been farting around with this all morning and for the life of me I cant get w32time to supply time to any of the 3 NT workstation test machines...

On a side note, the NT workstations have an app on them that is constantly turning off daylight savings time ... :mad: , has anyone seen an app that can turn this on and lock it on, or reset it to on at regular intervals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

you can get NTP as service for both NT and 2000, it works a dream, you can disable w32time on 2000 if you use NTP. See

http://www.five-ten-sg.com/

and

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/

You might as well use the real thing instead of that windows fudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

i did it a few years ago with nt/2k machines. I can't remember how exactly, but it involved registry tweaks. I found out how to do it on support.microsoft.com, there was decent documentation on it back then anyway,
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Why not use a little net time script ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I didnt want to use login scripts because the machines themselves are actually connected to hardware that might not be turned off for days or weeks .. so a workstation would not get to login very often ... I do not want to schedule a job, have had problems in the past .. and manually running a script is out of the question, too many machines ... its be a pain in the a$$.

My problem is that all the workstations have timeserv running nicely, i just wanted to clean install win2k on the server and do absolutely nothing on the workstations ... the problem is that w32time seems to give back crap to timeserv, because timeserv just does not get time (I tested by swapping IP's on old and new time servers, and back again because the flippin workstations didnt get time:( ).. I did some playing with it to try to get the two to interoperate but they just did not like it ... no-siree-bob :confused:

I'll do some more googling on it .. and also keep an eye out for a win2k app that may do the job (tested two already that did not do the job :rolleyes: )

Advertisement