Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion...

Options
  • 05-02-2003 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I live in a 3 bedroom semi-detached dormer!

Was thinking of converting the attic and just wondered if anyone knew whether I need planning permission to do so? I would be looking to turn it into a sort of office cum extra room (maybe with futon couch or something).

Anyone ever converted an attic before? "roughly" how much does it cost? I will be looking to put say 2 velux windows up and put a floor in. I know that I would need to move the water tank also (maybe hide it behind a false wall).

Thanks in advance,

Voodoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Am not exactly sure of the area of the attic. It's only a new house (2 yrs old).

Also, I know that there is not alot of beams up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

We had the attic converted in our last house and our current house. It's money well spent.

No, you don't need planning permission (not in Dublin anyway). It would be akin to knocking down a partition wall inside the house.

The watertank will have to be moved and they will have to put metal girders in to support the floor. A staircase will have to be built too.
    Get velux windows and make sure you get blinds for them - the room can get very very hot in the sunshine ...like a greenhouse.

Plan for wiring especially if you're going to use it as an office. Put loads of CAT-5 for network and phone, put co-ax for TV/Satellite.

Don't forget that the eaves at the sides of the room can be used for storage. Get them to put cheap chipboard boards down there so you can store loads of things - have them put small doors so you can access the storage. You'll be amazed at how much storage you get - more than you're currently using in the attic as it is.

You will have to make sure that the conversion is done properly though because when you go to sell the house you'll need a statement from the company that did the work. Ask an estate agent about this - worth getting it now just in case you can't locate the company in a few years time. Otherwise you'll have to get an engineer and god knows what else to sign paperwork for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by voodoo
    I live in a 3 bedroom semi-detached dormer! ..... Anyone ever converted an attic before?
    Eh, how big is the 'attic' if you live in a dormer? Height, width (discount floor space where the ceiling is less than 1.2m high), length? Give me these details and I might be able to give you an approximate figure.

Advertisement