Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jason Sherlock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Alany, bringing this thread back to the top does you (as a Mod I understand) no favours whatsoever. Your comments about Jason, and I'm not talking about your comments on his football ability, are a pure disgrace. I'm embarrassed that there are Dublin supporters out there who would write that type of nonsense about their own players.

Back to football.
    I can maybe see how people could have questioned Sherlock getting picked for the Derry game last year, if you were unaware of his club form. But surely nobody would question his value to the team now?

Its very easy to pick out Connell, Sherlock, Keaney and Quinn as our four best forwards this year in the league - probably in that order. Adding Brogan to that list, who has more ability that any of them, gives probably the strongest forward line we've had in quite a while. Brogan was immense in the 2003 league, but disappointed in the championship. Six months away might well have done him good, and he looked in good nick v Longford, so I'm very hopeful that he'll be back to his best come the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Alany, bringing this thread back to the top does you (as a Mod I understand) no favours whatsoever. Your comments about Jason, and I'm not talking about your comments on his football ability, are a pure disgrace. I'm embarrassed that there are Dublin supporters out there who would write that type of nonsense about their own players.
    Rooster you tried to scold me on a different thread, you have to stop taking such a morally superior and condescending view every time someone disagrees with your viewpoint. Please do not blame others for your lack of a sense of humour. Noone at the time was offended by any of Alan's comments as everyone knew they were intended lightheartedly and in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Rooster

Waylander got there before me, That thread has to be taken in context. its plainly obvious too see My comments in the small text were part of a running joke...

Please dont think just cause Im a Mod I cant be part of a childish joke.

However I standby my comments in the larger text, At the time I considered him to be a waist of space and didnt deserve a run on the Dublin team. thankfully over time it looks like I will be proved wrong ( I hope I will)
    Well I did say I didnt expct to see him unless he does someting very special and he did.. apperently word around Na Fianna and the Duvlin camp is that he deserved his place ...again to his great work rate....but me wonders was this another flash in the pan ?

Im still wondering that. But im more hopefull now !

On the Mayo thread, Mighty Mouse said to another poster "Are you 8 years old?".

This was deemed to be a personal insult, and Alany issued a gentle warning to MM on his future behaviour.

But repeatedly writing that Jason Sherlock is gay is supposed to be humour?

I don't think so......

Or maybe you can explain it to me. Although you seem to deem explanations as some sort of condescending behaviour.

Thats not what these forums are about. I'm all for humour, but I'm sure most moderators would delete all references to the above, and be embarrassed that another moderator had made them.

Personally I thought Al's admonishment was a bit over the top there. I thought the othere guy was acting a bit like an 8 year old, but Al is the moderator and he calls it how he sees it. His Jason Sherlock comment were not a direct dig at a fellow poster, they were light hearted jokes about a public figure. Everyone except for you saw them as such. I do not deem explanations as acts og condescention,
    Thats not what these forums are about. I'm all for humour, but I'm sure most moderators would delete all references to the above, and be embarrassed that another moderator had made them.

I think that kind of tripe is an attempt to be condescending and morally upright.
    bringing this thread back to the top does you (as a Mod I understand) no favours whatsoever. Your comments about Jason, and I'm not talking about your comments on his football ability, are a pure disgrace.

This comment maybe a little too. And in the other thread you pretty much told me that Dublin fans like me make you sick, because I said I thought Jason Sherlock was a poor player, even though my comment was actually about him redeeming himself. Now I wonder where I got the opinion that you are a little condescending in your comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I love when sherlock gives one or two good games to get dubs hope up and then suddenly turns into a crap footballer who isnt good enough for club lvl .

And its gonna happen again .

Waylander, I don't mean to be condescending, and I try to explain my comments, if anyone has a problem with them.

As for the accusation of being morally upright, well I didnt think there was anything worng with that? I have no problem with anyone saying anything they like about Jason's ability on the football field, I'll will happily debate and argue the point. But I do have a problem with personal jibes and calling into question an amateur sportsmans's sexual orientation, especially when its a complete lie, especially when its a Dub, and especially when its Jason who is constantly the subject of rascist and other non-football related verbal/written abuse and bias. So forgive me if I'm a little touchy on the subject. But lets put this issue to bed.
    you pretty much told me that Dublin fans like me make you sick, because I said I thought Jason Sherlock was a poor player

Thats not even close to the truth waylander. I got annoyed because you said it pained you to admit Sherlock played well. As I already explained I couldnt understand how a real Dub fan could be "pained" by a Dub playing well. You explained yourself. End of story.

Big Ears, I love it when culchies talk about something they know nothing about!

Actually Rooster I explained that you had misread my post. I certainly did not "explain myself" to you. And maybe you should stop jumping to conclusions every time you hear a comment about a dublin player. Al's comment about Jason Sherlock were inoccuois enough that nobody else anywhere was remotely offended, or at least they did not register a complaint. It is obvious to 99.9% of the people that they are intended in good nature, and if you cannot realise that I think the fault lies with you. Both Al and myself have been posting on this board since the GAA forum was initiated, and I find it laughable that you think you can come in and demand explanations for comments, when noone else is bothered by them. Al was using a childish quip to kepp the conversation light hearted. Get down of your high horse and please do not presume to lecture me again!

Originally posted by The Rooster

Big Ears, I love it when culchies talk about something they know nothing about! [/B]

Bollox what gave it away :D .

Tipp for the Hurling .

Actually Rooster I explained that you had misread my post. I certainly did not "explain myself" to you........do not presume to lecture me again!

What on earth are you talking about Waylander?

I certainly didnt misread your post. I asked you why it pained you that Jason played well. You explained why it pained you. End of story. Don't be trying to take hidden meanings out of the way I structure my sentences. You're not my girlfriend!

And I certainly havent "demanded" anything. I've made comments and asked questions. Is that not allowed? Is this shop closed?

I've said my piece on Jason (and I thought I'd finished trying to explain my views!). I firmly believe Al was out of order and am amazed he hasnt deleted all references in small print by himself and another poster. Nobody else complained, because 99% of the posters were bashing Jason.

And here's a quote from the GAA charter posted by Al.
    Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated. If you are unsure about something or have a complaint or question PM me or another experienced mod (like Gandalf).

So do Al's comments constitute good natured fun or personal abuse of a sports person? I know what I think, but maybe it was fine. I'll PM Gandalf (or other experienced mod if I can't get him) and ask him to read pages 3 and 4 of the thread, and I'm sure he'll tell me I'm way off base.

What on earth are you talking about Waylander?
    I certainly didnt misread your post.

That would explain why you apologised for the misunderstanding several posts later in that thread Rooster! I did not take any hidden meanings. In fact you assumed I was some kind of biggot or racist because I had criticised Jason Sherlock. I take exception to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Lads I would just like to point out that I started this thread as a place we could bitch and comment about Jason Sherlock. You guys keep getting distracted and talking about nothing cups and the likes. Please humour mwe and tell me how bad a player Sherlock is!

Jesus this is a little too much. These guys are amateur players who have sacrficed a lot to play for their counties. Of coarse they're gonna be times where a player is called crap etc but the extent to which it goes on with sherlock is unaccpetable.FFS its not like the Dubs have a line of better players. I think he adds something when he comes on as a sub.

Its really only because of his physique that he gets abused but look at cooper for kerry or dunning for roscommon.

I really think ye should ease off a little here

well jayzus... Im so sorry I bothered to bring this thread back up again.
    Some people ….
    That’s not what these forums are about. I'm all for humour, but I'm sure most moderators would delete all references to the above, and be embarrassed that another moderator had made them.
    So you know exactly what these forums are about?
    How is that exactly ?
    And you know how moderators would feel about something would you ?
    and calling into question an amateur sportsmans's sexual orientation, especially when its a complete lie

ok, no one was calling Jason’s sexuality into question. its fair to say nobody cares.
    You know only too well it was a childish joke... and you choosing to take it seriously cause you seem to be in love* with Jason

especially when its a Dub,

Now..thats the reason he’s getting slagged. not cause of his race ( your the only one who brought that up btw) not cause of any other reason than hes a Dublin footballer ..that hasn’t performed.

And another Thing.. if your going to start shoving my rules down my neck please refrain form personal attacks on other boards users**

"Big Ears, I love it when culchies talk about something they know nothing about"
    personal attack on big ears
    You're not my girlfriend!
    personal attack on waylander and your girlfriend***
    see how silly people can be with rules ? ....

What you fail to grasp Rooster is that the rules are there as a guideline. No one on the gaa board has a problem with a little flexibility on these rules ... especially when things are relaxed and jovial.
    I dont know if you noticed I even have a {shock} Joke {Horror} in the Charter {Gasp}....in case you cant find it, its the comment about Meath.
    The only time i bring the rules into play is when there is an obvious Muppet or things get a bit tense... Like now:ninja:

*may not be true
    **friendly warning
    *** if such a person exists

@ Rooster

If you do have a serious complaint I recommend the following steps

1. PM me – see if we can sort it out ( if that doesn’t help)
    2. PM Kaimera ( the other GAA mod) as Gandlaf will have his hands full with soccer (if that doesn’t help)
    3. PM an Admin - Ecksor, DeVore, Vexrog, Regi ( think that’s em all ??)

Well anyway, For those of you that cannot understand a joke
    I would like to say sorry. Im sorry you read what you read and
    Im sorry for your interpretation..

To clarify I don’t think Jayson Sherlock is gay. I never did …

@Mighty Mouse.
    I understand your point about these lads being amature and maybe they do deserve less “critizim” than professional sports players. However GAA is my sport I have been going to Dubs games since I was 8 and I get emotional … as emotional as any fan of a professional sports team….

and now everyone ... back on topic please (unless you have a pressing responce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ya know...I said I'd take a gander at this thread cos I was wondering how a two page epic had sprung up in the past week without me noticing.

read away...wondered a bit about the whole '95 thing...things started turning...checked the post date [x/x/2003.

said to self:
    "Self, what tit decided to drag up a bloody year old post"

saw it was Alany and literally did a :rolleyes: x 1000. :)

I just scanned down the other posts and yes, the small print caught my eye and yes, I chuckled to myself.

Does that make my a bad man for laughing to myself? I doubt it.

I dont care about Jayo. Imho, the old posts were just a bit of harmless banter among guys. No different that being out and having the same conversation and making similar comments.

There is always one person who is so PC that the good humour intended in the moment is picked apart and a moral issue raised.

I'm staying out of this one for the time being tho but I will keep an eye on this thread.

/*****************\
    btw, for Alan: postcount++.

there is an EDIT button ya know!!!

I see no need to edit anything I say..when I can up my massive postcount by making corrections, additions and subtractions in a new post. ... you have a post ration of 2.04 ... that makes you weak and pointless..

Seriously, I dont like to edit things i say ..just so people cant accuse me of covering up

Originally posted by Alany

"Big Ears, I love it when culchies talk about something they know nothing about"
    personal attack on big ears

I feel so vunerable , he just came out of nowhere .
    My soliciter will be sending u a letter regarding mental damages from what u have said ( rooster )

Bollox what gave it away

It was those ears. You're an obvious culchie!

what tit decided to drag up a bloody year old post

Well put.

Waylander/Al, I never called (or implied) anyone a racist!

Waylander, you're just making stuff up in your all out attempt to *win* an argument. I give up. I concede. I just hope Jason pains you a lot more by playing out of his skin this summer. :D:D:D:D :cool:
    I would like to say sorry.

Thank you. Rooster happy :)

well thank god thats over.. ... no more posts about this poxy argument please

The topic is Jason Sherlock ?

You comments are welcome.
    cept yours big ears, your just a culchie...with big ears :ninja:

The topic is Jason Sherlock ? Your comments are welcome

He's bleedin deadly!

But keep it quiet, we don't want the culchies getting wind of it

Originally posted by Alany
    well thank god thats over.. ... no more posts about this poxy argument please
    The topic is Jason Sherlock ?
    You comments are welcome.
    cept yours big ears, your just a culchie...with big ears :ninja:

Another personnel attack on Big Ears , i just hope my Culchie friends in Kerry will sort yee out .
    And laugh at yee in that thick ( in more than one way ) accent of theirs .

Tipp for the Hurling .