Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underated / Under-achieving Games

Options
  • 28-03-2001 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I recently recieved a copy of "Dark Reign 2" from a friend ,I had seen it in the shops , looked it over curiously but Inevitably put it down . I just had Doubts , even when considering the pedigree of its Lineage.

So when this game came around I gave it a Whirl. I was pleasantly suprised , Minimalist Tech tree , Lovely Terrain and a fair bit of Ambience , It ran a fair clip aswell on my Friends lacklustre PC . I started thinkin : Where did this game go? Its very Good , Not a Masterpiece but still very good, but yet Hardly a word was spoken of it and was quickly relegated to 19.99 section of the shops . Truly a pity for such a nice game . Anyne else think of any games with such Bad luck?

Shrewgar!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Looking Glass always got shafted with their excellent games: Thief 1/2, System Shock 2 .
    Swat 3 is damn good, no one has it ! I'll kill ye's all smile.gif Who am I supposed to play online eh ?

And Sierra released an FPS game called Half-Life or something, that bombed like hell, shame really, it was alright

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

Looking Glass really got ****ed over, Terra Nova was miles ahead of mech warrior when it was released, and Flight Unlimited put microsoft flight simulator to shame

[This message has been edited by decdoc (edited 28-03-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

giants is excellent but underrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Planescape: Torment is a criminally under-rated RPG. You can get it now with BG1, Fallout 2(another cracker) and itself in the one pack. Buy it.

Also the LG games like Thief and SS2 were v overlooked as mentioned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've played Theif (don't ahve a copy myself) and it's an unreal game - so much great fun to be had with it!

"I'm going to the bear pits tomorrow - want to come with?"
    smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    Planescape: Torment is a criminally under-rated RPG.</font>

I must disagree, fallout and bg are FAR better than torment.(I just plum don't like that game.)

[This message has been edited by DrunkLeprachaun (edited 28-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

The entire scrolling beat em up genre. Capcom went a long way toward making it fun but no other developer bothered it's ****ing ass to attempt something by way of originality and that is criminal because the best games have to be ones that ask you to walk along streets and beat the **** out of everyone that comes along. Absolutely ****ing tragic.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Oddly enough , I picked up Torment for a tenor about two weeks ago , While I wouldnt put it ahead of Fallout 2 and I suppose Baldurs Gate 2 , Its certainly better than BG1 . A bit more...adult .But while were on the subject . Water from the river styx? Its got me nabbed for the better part of four days , Anyone know where it might be ? ..I mean the only actual body of water ive seen is in the Drowned Nations , but nothing there ..

Shrewgar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Battlezone 1, it was great fun back then, very original too, shame nobody bought it smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Wargasm. Take control of a tank, APC, infantry or even a helicoptor. I was looking forward to playing it instead of tfc but no1's ever heard of the bloody thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I have....I also have a copy of it.....but it in ireland frown.gif

Wargasm won alot of awards and whatnot back in...98? cant think but it was a little hi spec for me at the time so i never played it , also whatever about battlezone 1 , Battlezone two had atrocious sales for such a lovely game

Shrewgar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

what about overated games? the half life single player must have been one of the most overated games of all time, along with goldeneye.... the tru beauty of the game lies in the mods....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Am I the only person who owns terra nova, system shock 2 and thief 1 and thief 2.
    The worst thing about Looking Glass breaking up was Thief 3 isn't going to be released and it was supposed to be set in a big city without any missions.

Nah, I got system shock 2. btw If ye don't have it, you can pick it up in EB on Henry street along with 5 other games for around £12. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

under-rated games hmmmmmm

Hidden and Dangerous (way better then rainbow six)

Battlezone system shock 2 thief 1+2 were all f*cken classics

never played BZ 2 friend has it though he said it was good
    Quote by Thunderingmike:
    "The entire scrolling beat em up genre. Capcom went a long way toward making it fun but no other developer bothered it's ****ing ass to attempt something by way of originality and that is criminal because the best games have to be ones that ask you to walk along streets and beat the **** out of everyone that comes along. Absolutely ****ing tragic"

Hey the best scrolling beat em up EVER!! was streets of rage by SEGA not capcom, Sega were the ones who did the best scrolling beat em ups: Streets of rage 1,2,3, DIE HARD, (****load of other megadrive ones)
    Spikeout, Spikeout 2 (cool 3d arcade ones)

BK the KK
    Fraggen with a smile smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BlitzKrieg (edited 29-03-2001).]

Gah...Rainbow six may not be as good as H&D *maybe* but Rogue spear is well better than the Erstwhile Hidden and dangerous, I still play RS ,plus RS has good multiplayer and a nice mod community .

Shrewgar!

H&D was good, but bugged beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mills:
    Battlezone 1, it was great fun back then, very original too, shame nobody bought it smile.gif</font>

Yes, Battlezone rocked my world biggrin.gif

Advertisement