Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scores,titles

Options
  • 05-02-2003 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Remove the mod title from all mods. Leave it on the persons profile page. Newbies won't be scared away. Remove the post count and leave it on the profile page. Keep the rank as a vague measure of persons reliability.

Random thought for the day.

Gav
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

But that would be bad for that wonderful element of bulletin board culture that are the "Post Count" and "Moderatorial Knob Waving". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Good idea except I think people should know who the mods are for each forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH can't see it making much of a difference. Some more confusion, as the titles do help identify the mods.

Even if you remove the post count, you'll just have people waving their ranks :/

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Good ol' UBB *sniff* only identifies moderators as so on posts to the forum(s) that they moderate. Everywhere else they is plain ol' members...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Agreed with Verb, remove all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Slydice
    No Life

Pff :D

BTW I disagree keep everything, people need to know who moderate's a forum if they are posting on it. And post count gives everyone over 2k posts the right to act superior to eveyone else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Licksy20
    Good ol' UBB *sniff* only identifies moderators as so on posts to the forum(s) that they moderate. Everywhere else they is plain ol' members...

This would be perfect I reckon.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

boo no way!!

down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it's an idea, but it makes it very difficult to find out about private boards then.

Moderators are noted at the top of each board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Victor
    I think it's an idea, but it makes it very difficult to find out about private boards then.

Moderators are noted at the top of each board.

There's a full list of moderators here.

I agree with Licksy, Verb and daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Bard
    I agree with Licksy, Verb and daveirl

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i agree too.

get rid of post counts. get rid average per day. get rid of mod titles. get rid of admins. (maybe not the last one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by azezil
    boo no way!!

down with this sort of thing!

Maybe just take this fools title away. And his post count. And the boards he mods. Ah what the heck, take him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

/me looks up into the clouds ...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its something I've thought about alright, though I wouldnt go as far as you are suggesting.

I think maybe we should change the "Moderator" tagline back to the usual various levels but leave the list of boards they mod underneath their post count.

DeV.

There seems to be this huge concern about the treatment of newbies on boards.ie.

SAVE THE NEWBIE! These people cry as if they're panda's or elephants or some other endangered species.

Let's get rid of this myth that newbies are fleeing/will flee from boards.ie. They are coming to boards in ever increasing numbers. The vast majority of them have the cop-on to understand boards.ie and it's culture. A small few don't because of laziness or misdirected fight-the-power angst.

I'm against all these changes. Removing post count has been tried before and has had no effect. Removing Average post count would be plain stupid as this is a guide to who's spamming.

Removing Moderator titles is a daft idea. Hiding the fact that someone is a mod is not going to change anything. Newbies should be scared of mods. If they weren't then they'd ignore the charters and there'd be chaos. Moderators are the police force of boards.ie. We keep the peace.

And if newbs don't understand we don't moderate the boards we're not moderators of, well then the FAQ should specify that more explictly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

There seems to be this huge concern about the treatment of newbies on boards.ie.SAVE THE NEWBIE! These people cry as if they're panda's or elephants or some other endangered species.Let's get rid of this myth that newbies are fleeing/will flee from boards.ie.
    I think it is right to be concerned about the treatment of newbies in general. And I don't think that anybody is under the impression that they are fleeing from Boards at all. In fact you were part of a thread last week where DeV pointed out that this was not the case. Again I think it was DeV who said that he wants to encourage Newbies to this community. I think, however, that to insult/call a Newbie a muppet for asking a stupid question is wrong! Yes we all have bad days. We all get sick and tired of being asked the same question 1,000,000 times. Just Ignore it. Simple as that. And this has not happened regularly in the past.
    I'm against all these changes. Removing post count has been tried before and has had no effect. Removing Average post count would be plain stupid as this is a guide to who's spamming.
    I totally agree with you.It would make no difference at all.
    Removing Moderator titles is a daft idea. Hiding the fact that someone is a mod is not going to change anything.
    Again I totally agree.
    Newbies should be scared of mods. If they weren't then they'd ignore the charters and there'd be chaos.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Scared of Mods eh! I presume you are trolling?

Originally posted by Hobart
    I think it is right to be concerned about the treatment of newbies in general. And I don't think that anybody is under the impression that they are fleeing from Boards at all. In fact you were part of a thread last week where DeV pointed out that this was not the case. Again I think it was DeV who said that he wants to encourage Newbies to this community. I think, however, that to insult/call a Newbie a muppet for asking a stupid question is wrong! Yes we all have bad days. We all get sick and tired of being asked the same question 1,000,000 times. Just Ignore it. Simple as that. And this has not happened regularly in the past.

I disagree. Ignorance of the FAQ is no defence of asking a stupid question. FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions by the way. It's there so we don't have to hear the same question 1,000,000 times.

In real-life(tm) ignorance of the law is also not a defence. I can't go up to a judge and say that I didn't know that punching someone was against the law.

And I'll flame anybody, newbie or not, if they ask a stupid question for which the answer is waiting for them in said FAQ.

What you(and indeed others) are asking for in effect special treatment for newbies on boards.ie. This has never been the case. Newbie's should be treated like any other poster, be they a veteran poster, moderator or admin.

There is a learning curve to boards.ie. Discriminating treatment of newbies would have a detrimental effect on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Hobart I think it is right to be concerned about the treatment of newbies in general.[/B]

When I first came to boards I was righteously indignant about what I thought were a shower of old skool tossers when their heads inserted in their own asses.

There is an acclimatisation process and you either get used to the vicissitudes of forum/grouping (x) or you do not.

Your aclimatisation is a function of how much effort you put into the same.

People don't jump all over what I say as much as they used to, before I got to know various people around boards, that is natural, in any new group (ie) after people get used to you, they learn to tolerate you.

Is this some vast rescpticle of truth I have been keeping to myself or is it obvious?

I'm thinking it's pretty obvious.

Wise words indeed, Typie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Shut Up Typedef!

*effect ruined by amps split second reply reactions*

What's an East Mac Dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Its like the West Coat man, only american.

(still taste great btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Look Guy's. In general I agree with what both of you are say. I am not looking for 'special' treatment for Newbies. What I am asking for is that people are treated with some sort of tollerance if they are new to the boards. Or, as I have said, if they have asked a question which is in the FAQ or posted on the wrong board well then tell them that or ignore them. Flaming/comtemptious replies to stupid questions are going to leave a bad taste in most peoples mouths. If you don't want to post don't post. Maybe it's just a bit of civility that's required. I, like most of the people on boards, enjoy the bit of craic/slagging/flaming that goes on. I enjoy posting and reading funny/humourous/smart ass replies to obvious questions et-all. We can all be smart, and yes TypeDef your confidence does grow with your familiarty, maybe I am just trying to say give some obvious newbies a break and go for it with the obvious wind-up merchants!
    In real-life(tm) ignorance of the law is also not a defence. I can't go up to a judge and say that I didn't know that punching someone was against the law
    But. This is not real-life? This is not a democracy! So your analagy does not seem to fit.
    There is a learning curve to boards.ie. Discriminating treatment of newbies would have a detrimental effect on that.
    That's your opinion. And I have mine. I believe that is allowed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I agree with Dave.c and amp.

Well actually no I only agree with amp's first post about azezil. I haven't read the rest of the posts yet.

// EDIT - I agree with Dave.c and amp on both counts. Which is pretty impressive considering they are making opposing arguments :)

Nah, I think that a middle of the line approach by making a few small changes would be good. The approach mentioned by licksy sounds like a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by amp

FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions by the way. It's there so we don't have to hear the same question 1,000,000 times.
    [/B]
    No it isn't it's there so newbies don't have to bother asking.

As has been said if you find a question irritating why not try not replying?

It'll disappear in a day or so anyway.

Advertisement