Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scores,titles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Hobart
    Look Guy's. In general I agree with what both of you are say. I am not looking for 'special' treatment for Newbies. What I am asking for is that people are treated with some sort of tollerance if they are new to the boards. Or, as I have said, if they have asked a question which is in the FAQ or posted on the wrong board well then tell them that or ignore them. Flaming/comtemptious replies to stupid questions are going to leave a bad taste in most peoples mouths. If you don't want to post don't post. Maybe it's just a bit of civility that's required. I, like most of the people on boards, enjoy the bit of craic/slagging/flaming that goes on. I enjoy posting and reading funny/humourous/smart ass replies to obvious questions et-all. We can all be smart, and yes TypeDef your confidence does grow with your familiarty, maybe I am just trying to say give some obvious newbies a break and go for it with the obvious wind-up merchants!

Giving newbies a break is treating them differently. Giving them special treatment. Nobody else gets special treatments. Admins don't get a break. Mods don't get a break.

But. This is not real-life? This is not a democracy! So your analagy does not seem to fit.

I never said boards.ie was real-life(tm). I fail to see the relevance of it's political structure here. And if you think ignorance of the law is a defense in a real-world(tm) benevolant dictatorship then I suggest you do more research.

That's your opinion. And I have mine. I believe that is allowed.

Of course it is. You are totally entitled to your opinion. What you advocate is opression of the right for others to express their opinions if someone posts something that is, in their opinion, stupid.

And, in my opinion, your arguments and points are flawed. Imo you should think more before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

but tbh i have never seen people jump all over me because i am a newbie. I don't really think there is a big problem with attitudes towards newbies on boards, and also i have noticed that(at least i think this is the case) there are no special secret forums that one can get into when they get over x numbers of posts.

honestly things are fine as they are. The one thing that is a bit silly is when people get annyed about when newbies ask questions that are on the faq.

As for rating people via post count.

post count means nothing to me when i see a post (i.e. i think wwm is a knob and does nothing but flame all day but he has a high post count).

and anyway, its nice to keep count :)

now feed me back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Giving newbies a break is treating them differently. Giving them special treatment. Nobody else gets special treatments. Admins don't get a break. Mods don't get a break.
    Fair enuf. You read it your way and go on and on and on. All I am saying is that it is nice to be nice. Try to be civil. If you can't don't. Do what you like.
    I never said boards.ie was real-life(tm). I fail to see the relevance of it's political structure here
    No you did not. But your use of the 'Ignorance' analagy between a Court of Law and Boards would lead any resonable person to think that you were comparing boards to a court of law and hence to the 'real' world.
    And if you think ignorance of the law is a defense in a real-world(tm) benevolant dictatorship then I suggest you do more research
    Eh! I never said/intimated that. I suggest you do more detailed reading of what I said.
    What you advocate is opression of the right for others to express their opinions if someone posts something that is, in their opinion, stupid.
    No I don't. Post whatever you like. Stop filliblustering. Opression versus Giving a break???? Hmmmmmmmmm... Sounds like your own ignorance has lead you into the realms of a Ad Hominum Attack
    And, in my opinion, your arguments and points are flawed. Imo you should think more before you post
    As I have said.............

Originally posted by DapperGent
    No it isn't it's there so newbies don't have to bother asking.

Asking what? The same question 1,000,000 times?

As has been said if you find a question irritating why not try not replying?

It'll disappear in a day or so anyway.

If you find replies to stupid questions irritating why not try not replying?

This thread will disappear in a day or so anyway.

But seriously, as boards grows and grows I can only see more and more stupid questions being asked by what will still be a small fraction of newbies. But a small fraction of a large intake is still a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I've noticed that newbies that get jumped on, are usually throwing themselves out for abuse in the first place, or are being ignorant of the rules and such*

I think force feeding newbies the FAQ will help a bit. I dunno, make the front page for newbs the FAQ or something equally as annoying.

*doesn't apply in ALL cases

Originally posted by Hobart
    Fair enuf. You read it your way and go on and on and on. All I am saying is that it is nice to be nice. Try to be civil. If you can't don't. Do what you like.

Ah so now you withdraw your request to be tollerant and nice to newbies and make a more general be nice and civil to everybody argument. Fair enough. I agree. Maybe we should all be nicer to each other.

No you did not. But your use of the 'Ignorance' analagy between a Court of Law and Boards would lead any resonable person to think that you were comparing boards to a court of law and hence to the 'real' world.

Certain aspects of the real-world(tm) are comparable to boards. Just because boards.ie is not a democracy does not invalidate the comparing of precendents and laws in the real-world(tm)

No I don't. Post whatever you like. Stop filliblustering. Opression versus Giving a break????

I have advocated throughout this thread that people, all people, regardless when they signed up, have a right to an opinion. My use of the word opression was specifically used to parady the inconsistency in your argument.

On the one hand you wanted to have newbies treated with tollerance which effectively means that others should not make light of them.

Ah so now you withdraw your request to be tollerant and nice to newbies and make a more general be nice and civil to everybody argument. Fair enough. I agree. Maybe we should all be nicer to each other.
    No I don't. All I am saying is that I will be tollerant. You can be whatever you like. If you lokk back at my initial post I said 'I think'. That was my opinion. That's all amp. Obviously you can act whatever way you please to people, within the confines of the rules, I expressed my opinion and I still stand by it.
    Certain aspects of the real-world(tm) are comparable to boards. Just because boards.ie is not a democracy does not invalidate the comparing of precendents and laws in the real-world(tm)
    Yes I am sure they are comparable. So what?
    I have advocated throughout this thread that people, all people, regardless when they signed up, have a right to an opinion
    And we will all breath with a sigh of relief because of this. However of people read the charters/FAQ's they will know that they are entitled to their own opinion.
    My use of the word opression was specifically used to parady the inconsistency in your argument.
    Yea. Of course it was. It was so evident. How did I not pick that up? I'll never know.
    On the one hand you wanted to have newbies treated with tollerance which effectively means that others should not make light of them.
    And on the other??

Look amp. I have about as much interest in continuing this back and forth dblspeek discussion as I have in tearing out my toenails. So lets leave it at that. You have your opinion I have mine. I actually agree with you on some of your points. But TBH the use of phrases like "Newbies should be scared of mods" and "And I'll flame anybody, newbie or not, if they ask a stupid question " are not opinions I agree with ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by amp

Asking what? The same question 1,000,000 times?
    Yes.
    Originally posted by amp
    But seriously, as boards grows and grows I can only see more and more stupid questions being asked by what will still be a small fraction of newbies. But a small fraction of a large intake is still a lot of people.
    And you'll fix all this by what? Being cheeky?

I dunno it's seems to me you just enjoy the slaggings. If you like baiting the new guys away you go and have fun, but stop burying yourself in semantics that appear to suggest you will be performing a valuable service while doing so.

• Advertisement

Hobart: fair enough, we agree to disagree.

Merc: Bullies pick on the weak and vulnerable. The short kid or the fat kid. And bullies repeatedly attack the same people, they persue them.

Most people get flamed for a reason. For anti-social behaviour, for being a muppet, for whatever.

To equate getting flamed for doing something stupid with being bullied is an insult to anyone who's gone through the emotional torture of being the victim of bullying.

Given that I'd love to hear why exactly Merc thinks it's bullying.

Originally posted by DapperGent

And you'll fix all this by what? Being cheeky?

Sure, not only will the poster read the faq, it will also advertise to others that reading the faq is probably a good idea. In fact I wonder how many people have read the Faq since this thread got all sweaty? Lots I'd imagine.

I dunno it's seems to me you just enjoy the slaggings.

Of course I enjoy it. I wouldn't do it if there wasn't some enjoyment in it. It's not like I get paid to flame people.

If you like baiting the new guys away you go and have fun, but stop burying yourself in semantics that appear to suggest you will be performing a valuable service while doing so.

I never denied that I gain pleasure from flaming stupidity. That I perform a valuable service while doing so is an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What Typedef said. I was hated when I first came to boards ( I still am by some hehe).
    Originally posted by TruckledUncivil
    now feed me back
    /me gives Truckle some Hendrixesque guitar distortion feedback *wheeoooooowwwwwzzhhh*

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeVore
    I think maybe we should change the "Moderator" tagline back to the usual various levels but leave the list of boards they mod underneath their post count.
    I suppose this is a good solution as it takes "moderator" out of your face. It also leaves the quick links in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

There's been a lot of talk about a perceived division of the boards population into newbs and the "in-crowd" or old-school.

I don't see it that way. I see a different division: group A: People with a sense of humour vs. Group B: people who take everything too seriously.

After all there's plenty of people who've been on boards for years and still have a pole stuck up their arse and will rant about pretty much anything. And some newbs are funny, witty and relaxed about the whole boards experience from the start.

Group A people generally are more laidback than Group B. Group B seek out injustice and wrongdoing, Group A laugh at Group B's intensity and taunt and poke them into more outcry's of injustice.

Thankfully, lot's of people in Group B make the transition to Group A (like Typedef, Gordon and to a certain extent myself; when I first joined boards I had the odd Fight the Power fit) and some people just automatically arrive into Group A.

But let's be clear about this and also to get this back on topic, changing the contents of the box beside your post is not the answer to changing the above state of affairs. It's much more fundemental than that.

A more visible FAQ would have a much more profound and lasting effect than mucking about with Post counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I agree with Amp to a certain extent (amazing really) newbies aren't a weak vulnerable timid creature we have to nurture and look after.

They're as variable a group as the oldies. Only a small number of newbies complain (at least I think it's a small number) of injustice and so on. Trying to hide the fact sombodies a moderator just to make everyone feel a little less threathened is a silly notion.

If newbies run in fear at the merest troll/flame then they probabaly wouldn't fit in really well here anyway.

.logic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It is a small number. Actually its a VERY small number.

The vast majority of new users fit right in (we have 20 a day on average). Also, one thing is that while this group here (on Feedback) like to think of themselves as the "old guard" and perhaps even the "in crowd".... if you added up all the posts of all of us (and I include myself in this) that people have taken years to work up etc, the rest of boards would generate that in less then a month.

Take a walk around boards sometime, just wander through our 250 boards and discover that while we may like to think of ourselves as old guard, there are communities in each of those boards who couldnt give a toss.

I'm convinced that there are people on boards who have no idea who DeVore, Cloud, Regi, etc are. Nor Amp, Logic, Bard, Typedef etc...

Its a very small storm in a VERY large teacup these days....

Like the saying goes, no matter how big and successful you are, roughly 1 billion chinese couldnt give a fnck.

DeV.

I'm convinced that there are people on boards who have no idea who DeVore, Cloud, Regi, etc are. Nor Amp, Logic, Bard, Typedef etc...

/me phones marketing department

amp: Find these people, convince them amp is the real power behind boards AND BOARDS WILL BE MINE!

BWA!

HA!

ha

hmm... I was funnier yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by amp
    /me phones marketing department

amp: Find these people, convince them amp is the real power behind boards AND BOARDS WILL BE MINE!

BWA!

HA!

ha

hmm... I was funnier yesterday.

really...
    can you post a link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

haha that was almost sarcastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by lafortezza
    really...
    can you post a link?

Proof that newbies can fit right in :)

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by amp

Of course I enjoy it. I wouldn't do it if there wasn't some enjoyment in it. It's not like I get paid to flame people.

It's true, he was funnier yesterday:D

Briefly:p

Originally posted by lafortezza
    really...
    can you post a link?

Here ya go ya little scamp. Now run along and play nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

How long do you have to be a member to lose your "Newbie" status tho? or does it all go on post count? :confused: :rolleyes: :p:o

Newbieness is a state of mind Dazzer, haven't you learned anything from this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I'm convinced that there are people on boards who have no idea who DeVore, Cloud, Regi, etc are. Nor Amp, Logic, Bard, Typedef etc....

but everyone knows who i am :)

Of course they do

Advertisement