Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL Digital Box cutting picture?

• 05-02-2003 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

HI,

I recently signed up to the NTL digital cable service and find it pretty good except that I find it occaisionally cuts approx one-third of the right hand side of the screen off in 16:9 widescreen mode.

When I go into the menu, and flip to Pan&Scan or 4:3 and then back to 16:9 its fine, just needs to be done every now and then.

Anyone else seen this? Want to report to NTL but dont expect much joy so would like to know if its happening to everyone....

Foxo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Nothing like that happening here. Just the annoying picture break up from time to time. Have you set your TV to force widescreen rather than auto detect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yes its happening me (I have the newer silver pace box, with just 3 leds on the front).. and what's even worse is that it permanently cuts off a bit of the right hand side in any mode. I get the exact same problem as you, but also notice no matter what mode my box or tv is in, the 4 of TG4 watermark is missing always, and I notice credits are all slightly to the right... I keep meaning to ring, but have yet to get around to it.

.cg

Heh, technician is due Monday. Whats the bets nothing will change.. or that I won't be able to demonstrate the problem!

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally posted by cgarvey
    Yes its happening me (I have the newer silver pace box, with just 3 leds on the front).. and what's even worse is that it permanently cuts off a bit of the right hand side in any mode. I get the exact same problem as you, but also notice no matter what mode my box or tv is in, the 4 of TG4 watermark is missing always, and I notice credits are all slightly to the right... I keep meaning to ring, but have yet to get around to it.
    How have you got your box connected to the tv? Because if you are using Scart with the output set to RGB, that could be the problem. I don't have NTL Digital yet but my DVD players' image is shifted to the right when its outputting RGB and apparently this is a known issue with some tv's. Something to do with the tv not synching to the RGB signal properly.

Originally posted by Calibos
    How have you got your box connected to the tv? Because if you are using Scart with the output set to RGB, that could be the problem. I don't have NTL Digital yet but my DVD players' image is shifted to the right when its outputting RGB and apparently this is a known issue with some tv's. Something to do with the tv not synching to the RGB signal properly.

Its connected with a shielded scart lead. RGB or Composite modes make no difference (other than a slight picture quality difference) to the cropping.

Putting the scart through my VCR (again either RGB/Comp) still has the same problem, yet the analogue stations on the VCR are fine.

Cheers

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

have you tried resetting the decoder? just disconnect from the mains for 30 seconds and plug in again.Do not interupt the decoder while it goes through its
    set up procedure and everything should be just fine,takes about 2 minutes.

huggs2

Heh... I've to do that every 2-4 days :) If I'm just channel surfing (at some speed), it tends to lock up completely.. so I've to cold boot the damn thing.

I also notice that these problems are all more frequent in the evening time, so maybe its something to do with my signal strength.. I'm sure the technician can tell me that tomorrow if he shows!

Ta

.cg

Right, the technician has come and gone (11.45) for an "afternoon session.. sometime between 2.00pm and 6.00pm).. expecting me to be in?

Anyway, those of you who took the bets, you all owe me :)

Nothing done.. the "signal levels are all bang on; around -7". "That'll happen sometimes", etc. So anxious that he do some physical work so that he can say goodbye, he replaced the connection on the distribution box outside. He said that "should" improve the signal quality (but by now the singal meter was back in the van, so he wasn't going to test the huge improvement).

So, bottom line .. live with having to manually switch the widescreen.. live with the cropped image (in all modes)... live with the freezing for 1-2 seconds.

Well done NTL

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Foxo

Its got to be the software on the decoder box as anyone with an ounce of common (technical) sense could see.

Im sure if they bothered to setup a 3rd line support structure with Pace or even checked with them it would be a known issue.

Advertisement