Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best o.s. for gaming?

• 05-02-2003 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine said something to me the other day that got me thinking about this subject. was just wonderin what are peoples opinions on this topic.

i dual-boot between xp & 98 but do all my gaming in xp, but on thinking about it dosent xp use more resources than 98, ram etc, so in theory shouldnt 98 be faster?

whats the best O.S. for gaming 143 votes

win XP
    0% 0 votes
    win 2000
    44% 63 votes
    win ME
    32% 46 votes
    win 98
    1% 2 votes
    mac O.S.
    16% 24 votes
    linux
    1% 2 votes
    other
    4% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I made the switch from win 98 to win 2k last year,win 2k is sooo much more stable than win 98 ,having said that win xp imo is the biggest piece of crap iv ever had the misfortune to use.To be honest win 2k from wot i remember only crashed twice since i installed it, whereas win 98 would crash @least twice a week.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

W2K for me. Never had any problems with it and as Combatcow says its pretty stable. Can't comment on XP as I haven't used it much. Down side is trying to get drivers for old cards etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

XP. Completely stable.

No problem with drivers for "old cards" as I don't keep old hardware in the PC :P
    If you have a graphics card that doesn't have XP drivers you know it's time to move on and upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I just got my date for my broadband and
    was thinking about this today.
    I dual boot between debian and Win2k. I was wondering If its possible to get HAlf-Life/CS working under WIn2k...
    I have a copy of XP but i will never install it as it will play havoc with my LAN....
    Can anyone help me here or shoudl i go to teh gamers boards?

I know Win98 works and is pretty good but i don't want to triple boot as I need Win2k for a rare number of apps... I mostly use Debian these days..

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

XP Pro works on every game i have ,pc is decentish so havent had any probs.

98 was same no probs with any games.

Win2k had probs with most games ,gave up on it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

only problem i would think with windows xp for games is that it is more ram hunger then any other o/s and this could affect your gameplay i suppose if you haven't got bundles of ram in the machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

you should remember that XP is just 2K with all those annoying colours and schemes.
    XP is also WAY more resource hungy than 2K.
    2K is the most stable OS,best UI and most effieient at mamaging resources.
    2K is the best OS for gaming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

TuxRacer!
    gtetrinet!
    liquidwar!
    Frozen Bubble!
    FreeCiv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by longword
    TuxRacer!
    gtetrinet!
    liquidwar!
    Frozen Bubble!
    FreeCiv!
    You forgot tuxcart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

XP by a mile, followed by win98se

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Depends on your gaming.

XP is fine for newer games. But if you are a 'gamer' gamer, then you probably appreciate the classics too.

Older games run well on 98 too. I haven't seen a game not run on 98SE. For me its the king. XP can be faster with newer games sometimes though.

Horses for courses though really. If you like to play some older games (eg: Even Colin McCrae 2 won't run unpatched on XP...no good for the casual user), then XP/2000 etc... are not the way to go.

That said I use both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd say XP. I haven't had any problems with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Win2k is the only viable option for the majority of gaming (with the exception of beardy alternatives - Commuinism Yeah!).

WinXp in either form is a big pile of steaming kitten ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd love to be able to use Linux as my primary gaming machine but good and all as Tuxracer is, it's just too much hassle.

Consequently I use Win2k for gaming and find it excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

hrm, I don't have a problem running any games on win2k, I don't play many older games, but they seem to work fine. ( like rally championship which runs under dos 4gw, doom, f1gp 1 (1991 ), etc. Quake3 runs faster for me under win2k than on win98se, but then it runs faster on freebsd than it does on win2k :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

2k appears to be the most stable for me even though I never had any problems with 98.

XP is only good for new games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minbari_weh

Just got my new desktop from encom.ie last week. Stuck the debian boot disk in, did the base (50MB) install, and told apt to install openGL. It connected up to the net, and asked me what video card I had (ATI Radeon 7000).

3D worked fine out of the box. No need to download separate drivers or anything. No crashes, no messing. Just wolf and quake.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

XP runs all modern games, and is pretty stable. Just get rid of the vomit inducing "themes". And shut down the Services you don't need. Mr Gates decided that most of them should be started by default. Try this site to run a lighter version of XP
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

XP for me.. not that its much better than 2k but put it this way.. i have had pretty much NO problems on my main rig with XP, with 2k it was not as stable and i got the odd blue screen installing drivers that were in fact designed for 2k. I guess it depends on the system and personal taste.. once you turn off the eye candy its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

All this talk of Win2k for games

CAN ANYONE RUN Counter-Strike/HalfLife???

on Win 2k
    I'm not interested in XP(burn it)..
    If it is at all possible to run CS on Win2k plz plz plz tell me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

2k for me.

chaos engine - yes it runs just dandy although if you do have trouble then try running/installing in compatability mode.

I had 1 problem with win2k and hl and it's mods. I was running a yamaha ds-xg and I tended to warp around the place. (v.v. old sound card but not that old) I upgraded to a nice5.1 card and problems dissapeared.

It's not had any trouble with anything I've thrown at it, haven't had a single game crash and the only time my pc has bsod'd was from overclocking.

Currently running hl and mods, ut2k3, mohaa, (and have tested) wc3, ms flight sim, ut original, QIII (osp/arena) and a whole load of junk I can't remember off the top of my head AOE and AOE II also.

If your looking for some classics/older titles to run on it.

www.mameworld.net/easyemu/mamegameinstall.htm
    www.classicgaming.com
    www.mameworld.net/easyemu/mamegameinstall.htm
    http://www.epsxe.com/
    http://www.emuparadise.org/

what sort of hardware you have in the machine chaos?

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    All this talk of Win2k for games

CAN ANYONE RUN Counter-Strike/HalfLife???
    Works fine under Linux ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Has to be 2k ... XP is utter bollix ...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    I just got my date for my broadband and
    was thinking about this today.
    I dual boot between debian and Win2k. I was wondering If its possible to get HAlf-Life/CS working under WIn2k...
    I have a copy of XP but i will never install it as it will play havoc with my LAN....
    Can anyone help me here or shoudl i go to teh gamers boards?

I know Win98 works and is pretty good but i don't want to triple boot as I need Win2k for a rare number of apps... I mostly use Debian these days..

thanks

In my experience Hl/CS works better under win2k than it does under 98. More stable, better fps etc. The only problem I've had with win2k and gaming is i cant seem to install jedi knight II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I find win98se best. Windows 2000/XP can have problems with older games. Games also run a bit faster on windows 98. However windows 98 is also an unstable pos so your mileage might vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

No problems with JKII on 2k on my pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the amount of people saying xp is utter bollix, is utter bollix get over it 2k has had its day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I was going to vote for '98 considering the fact that I've got some older classics that don't like XP and refuse to run... but having your game crash out to the desktop or BSOD is no picnic either, so XP gets my vote for solid uninterrupted gaming.
    As Quigs said, it all depends on what era of games you want to play, I've never had any problems with XP and newer games... oh wait - I have... GTA3 drove me mad with that garbled GUI bug, but that's been patched, so all is forgiven :)
    (eg: Even Colin McCrae 2 won't run unpatched on XP...no good for the casual user)
    Great game that, I picked it up in HMV on grafton st. for under a tenner, worked first time in XP, right out of the box... but it was a re-released version which was probably patched ;p
    Funny that this topic should pop-up actually, I only came online tonight to patch-hunt for some of my older games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i cant see why "classics" wouldnt work (depends what you define as a classic though, some games are just old :) ). Have you tried the compatibility feature of XP?

Tests show that there's no reason today to use Windows 98/ME in a new system. In many of the benchmarks, XP and 2000 are ahead - albeit only by a small margin. The biggest advantage of 2000 and XP, however, is in the more modern architecture, which, thanks to the increased stability and safety from crashes, allows for a much more relaxed work environment - and, of course, increased demands on the hardware as well.

98/ME users might ask if it is worth spending the money on XP and the additional RAM required for 2000/XP. This depends, above all, on how you plan to use the system. If you're only going to play games on it, then you can continue to use ME or 98SE. Most of the manufacturers no longer offer driver support for 98, but support for ME should still continue for a long time. All ME drivers work on 98 without a hitch (the naughty ones say that ME is only the retail version of a service pack for 98 SE...).

For those who use their PCs for other purposes as well should turn to XP or 2000 - with regard to performance, there's no difference between them. Games now run on both systems with optimal performance, and they mostly run faster than on the older operating systems. Only the 60 Hz problem (http://xp-refresh.net/) puts a considerable damper on the gaming experience. (Help in the article below)

There is a 6 page article about it here from toms hardware

Or you can glance at the below based on the following system:
    Processor Intel Pentium 4 2,2 GHz (100 MHz)
    Memory 2 x 256 MB, PC 266, CL2
    Graphic Cards ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
    NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti Ti 4600
    Mainboard ASUS P4T-E
    Drivers & Software
    Graphics Driver NVIDIA - v. 30.82
    ATI - v. 02.3
    DirectX Version 8.1

osbench1.gif
    osbench2.gif

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    the amount of people saying xp is utter bollix, is utter bollix get over it 2k has had its day.
    Perhaps you could tell us what Windows XP has to offer over Windows 2000? Most of the benchmarks I've seen suggest that Windows XP is slower. XP has that nasty product activation messing. XP has a nastier EULA.

Advertisement