Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 05-02-2003 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

A bill for Customs arrived to my parents house today for dvds I bought at Christmas from amazon.ca.
    It is for approximately €40.

Any advice on how i can get out of paying this?

They were gifts which I believed were exempt.

Even if I have to pay up will future purchases from Canada be hit for customs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Gifts below the vaue of €45 afaik are exempt. I'm afraid you probably fecked. You'll have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I got a 30 or 40 euro bill from Fedex about a year back. I just ignored it and never heard from them again.

But saying that, i didnt sign for the goods so i had something to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭mfield

If you order stuff (say a large order) from the US and post it to someone you know living in the US who in turn posts it back to you as a gift and minus all the formal billing etc, will you get away without paying duty?

mfield.

If you order stuff (say a large order) from the US and post it to someone you know living in the US who in turn posts it back to you as a gift and minus all the formal billing etc, will you get away without paying duty?

Yes - so long as they put down the value of the goods as under €45.

But this can be a double edged sword. Take my example. I bought a Creative Jukebox from the US for approx €200. It was a private sale on ebay so I asked the seller to wrap it up, put gift on the customs slip and only put the value/insurance down as €40. If my packaged went missing/got damaged I'd only get €40 back for the insurance. You have to ask yourself is it worth the risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭mfield

Originally posted by daveg
    Yes - so long as they put down the value of the goods as under €45.

Oh, that's nice to know! As there is large savings to be made when buying from the US! :cool:

Thanks for that daveg.

mfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Red Devil did you get these shipped by courier or ordinary mail ?

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I am a little confused about the value of goods that can be gotten. This is because I got about 150 euro of dvd's from canada and nothing was said about it. Is it just pure luck or something more?

Bullman - it's pure luck (according to the custom guy I spoke to before). They cant pull all the packages so they just check a sample amount.

Advertisement