Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Stuff

• 05-02-2003 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any weird modifications to there guitars, ie extra control knobs, i was thinkin of putting banjo string on e on my guitar, any other things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

A banjo string? OoooK! What will that do?

I was thinking of putting in a new pot for my tone control on my bridge pickup that will act as a button instead of a wheel. Makes very interesting sounds.

Speaking of guitar mods, a guitar that really interests me is the ones used by Matt Bellamy (Muse). It has a built in phaser and distortion, a MIDI pickup (??), and a copper plate that causes a wah effect in the presence of a hand! Very strange guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Boss or maybe Roalnd make a midi pickup for geetars,so technically you could play drums piano or whatever on yer guitar,how ****ing trippy is that.

Yeh anyways considering the amount my guitar is worth ( say 2000?) im prolly gonna put a few 9 inch gutter nails through the body and neck,and a flame thrower on the top,sound good ?

NeM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

What guitar would that be?

Gibson Les Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The best mods I've seen were as follows:
    For starters an onboard automatic tuner. Just use the top mounted control pannel to select what pitch you want each string and it adjusts automatically!! Frightenngly expensive and I'd imagine very heavy!

Secondly and more realisticly: A Roland GK-2A midi pickup wired into a Roland VG-88 midi multi-effects unit. Enter totally fcuked up tunings at will, bag loads of guitar, amp and effects modelling.
    Accurate acoustic simulation (even nylon stringed!) also on board. But the coolest thing is the freeform guitar editor; basically you can make the body size huge for a big bodied acoustic sound, or put a virtual pickup pickup at the twelveth fret for total rythm, or a Mr. Horsepower style multipal pickup job! It's pricey but I think it'd be worth it.

• Advertisement

"For starters an onboard automatic tuner. Just use the top mounted control pannel to select what pitch you want each string and it adjusts automatically!! "

I have seen that and its ****ing incredable,was like a grand a few years back,im guessing about 2500 now

wtf is with the price of **** these days ? I bought my amp a Marshall AVT 275 middle of last year cost me 666 euro (blieve it or not),today in music maker same amp i saw it for 945 euro,i didnt buy it originally from them but still..

The les paul i bought in 97 i think was about 1400 1500 irish,now the exact same guitar is 3275 euro in waltons..least thats what i thought he said..3 something or other deffo over 3200 anyways..what are the ****ers at ? I guessing you can get marshall amps for cheaper in the u.s.,and whats ****ed up the factory is in england,so shipping costs to the u.s. would be larger...****ing ireland and its ****ing prices

NeM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Tee hee, phasers.

I'll get my coat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Guitar mods, i think the worst i've seen is a guy had put the low E of a bass string on instead of the high e of his guitar, so instead of a botton e he has a big nasty E bass string.

You can get great deals on amps from the US but the shiping and delivary by truck will cost ya also you gona need to get a power converter type thing coz the US power supply is defferent to here,
    (i think the same trouble with pedals) :(

but US guitars will work fine, so if u know some1 going to the US seriously give them all your money because you can get guitars that would have three 0's on the end of em here for less than half price.

Don't know if you know the band Meshuggah
    but they had to buy their gear from a trip to the US.
    They bought 7-string Ibanez Universes and had the pickups dipped in wax(stop feedback) other than that they were totaly stock. And thats all they had with them on tour with slayer lol, one 6-string backup guitar between them. The guitars in sweeden are so expensive they could of bought a small car for the price of them and its the same here.

This has to be BS as were right beside the UK who have guitar/amp factories (but the exchange rate) and were one of the nearest to the US in europe for shipping.

Give us cheap stuff you bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

A cool modification is that sort of key you can fit on a bass guitar to tune the E into a D.

Talking about prices, Ireland is the most expensive country EVER for music gear, I saved €500 (!!!!) by buying my bass in Italy.

Fortunately there's the internerd: my favourite is www.thomann.de, we bought most of our studio equipment there: they have much lower prices and the service is good.

For instance a Line6 POD XT costs €800 at Music Maker and €522 at Thomann.

You'll find some tips about buying equipment and dealing with music suppliers here

Regards, A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I was close to making a "staccato" swtich for my old banger of a guitar. It just cuts of the sound when you press it and its springy :)

I also made a kind of "E-BOW" out of an electric tooth brush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Giblet, pray tell how you did that....

is buying equipment from mainland europe and paying postage/shipping still cheaper than from uk/ireland? im on the lookout for a drum kit for cheapcheapcheap!!

Originally posted by superconor
    is buying equipment from mainland europe and paying postage/shipping still cheaper than from uk/ireland? im on the lookout for a drum kit for cheapcheapcheap!!

Definitely cheaper. The shipping fee is just €23 as Thomann don't ship with a carrier but with German Post. I don't know for a drumkit though, the biggest item I bought was a bass cab. Try email info@thomann.de

Take care, A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Line 6 have just shown off there new guitar at NAMM. It is the king of weird stuf. It's the worlds first modelling guitar!!! Correctomundo. Strat, Tele, LP, whatever the hell, all recreated perfectly on one machine! No more need for a van load of guitars to get "that" sound.

Originally posted by Don1
    Line 6 have just shown off there new guitar at NAMM. It is the king of weird stuf. It's the worlds first modelling guitar!!! Correctomundo. Strat, Tele, LP, whatever the hell, all recreated perfectly on one machine! No more need for a van load of guitars to get "that" sound.

The idea is cool but it looks quite crap........ it's a shame, really

Check it here: http://www.line6.com/variax/uk/home.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It looks like a spade, but it will no doubt be popular with studio heads wanting different sounds without the cost.

Originally posted by Giblet
    It looks like a spade, but it will no doubt be popular with studio heads wanting different sounds without the cost.

True. It will make a great guitar for studio recording. Some studio guitars are actually cool, Parker for instance: it has so many knobs and regulations that you can't really use it live but in studio allows to find *that* sound in every occasion

Advertisement