Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I upgrade from Win95 ver. 4.00.950 A to ver. 4.00.950 B or C

Options
  • 06-02-2003 4:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

The above question. The family computer is a P1 133Mhz which has a max of 64MBs of RAM so I'm running Win95 on it. Just found out that it has Win95 version A on it and I'd like to get version B which has FAT32 support or C which has FAT32, USB and AGP support and probably some other improvements. Does anyone know how to upgrade? Can I download B or C patches or something?

Thanx,
    Calman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

hmm if I remember correctly the C version, although the best version, was OEM only so had to be installed from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You do remember correctly - so was B.

Backup data files, wipe, format, reinstall. No upgrade option (or at least no upgrade disc) to ver B or C

There are a few ways around it but really it can be a whole lot of hassle and you're truly up the creek if it all goes wrong.

B has USB and AGP support as well btw (or at least the version I have (which I know to be B (or OSR2.0 as opposed to C (OSR2.5)) has support for both - the disc even has a little note about it)

"Version A" is basically the original version with SP1 applied - no USB or FAT32 support as you mentioned (didn't know about the lack of AGP support but does your machine have an AGP slot? Most P133s don't)

It's definitely worth upgrading to get FAT32 support to be honest (unless your disc is pretty small). Win98 (not ME, though I have popped it on a 133) would run perfectly well on a P133 with the amount of RAM you have and will convert to FAT32 after installing if you like. Just another option - if you're happy enough with getting a better version of Win95 on the machine there's probably no real reason to upgrade to 98 unless you want to run photoshop 7 or office XP (98 and up only).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you should be able to download the updates (SR's) from microsoft.com

Failing that, get a copy of a 98SE UPG disk

Failing that again, get more RAM and stick 2k on it :), the pro will do an UPG for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

at 64Mb RAM I would chuck w2k pro on it straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, but it would be icky. Clean install with sp3 occupies 62-71 Mb RAM, before you scratch your nads youll be using a swapfile :(

2k is tha dogs though, WTF were MS thinking with XP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

You sure he can download them from MS? I remember reading in PCW that Windows95 is now no longer supported by MS for some reason. It's old or something and they not longer do anything for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Zyox
    You sure he can download them from MS?

Win95 updates are still there, though they're basically not writing any more fixes. Like meglome said though, there is no supported upgrade path from win95A to B or C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have win 95 C and doubt they on msft website much longer its unsupported we destroyed about 11,000 copies (mostly floppies ) recently unspported back catolgue.

Can have win 95 c if ya want i never using it again.
    original with cd key.
    kdjac

Advertisement