Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N Korea warns US of pre-emptive action

Options
  • 06-02-2003 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like George and the Oil Junta are after the wrong bad guys eh. Can you imagine if Saddam came out with a comment like this Baghdad would be flattened.

Heres a link to the story on the BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2731305.stm

Gandalf.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

North Korea is puffing itself up in a desperate attempt to look threatening. They can see what's happening in Iraq; the USA has made up its mind to invade regardless of all other factors.

In their position I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same. Perhaps their reasoning is that the USA will treat a country that DOES have WMDs which present a valid threat with a little more respect than it's treating Iraq (which patently doesn't. No, Colin, tanks that spray chemicals aren't WMDs.)...

Hmmm,Tony Blair did admit at last weeks pmq's that NK was next on the agenda after Iraq.
    Obviously, a different strategy is required there due to it's big neighbour China, and it's within striking range of, well Japan and the South.
    Best solution really to my mind would be annexation by china, thats the problem solved.
    mm

And whats their excuse going to be for the invasion of North Korea? Since N.Korea haven't made an aggressive move against the US or their allies in years. Their ownership of Nuclear weapons, is their right as a country. I don't see the UK demanding the total disarnament of US Nuclear & Biological weapons....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Thank you George Bush, for taking a Big Mac sized dump on North-South Korean rapprochament.

I think it's to do with non proliferation of these weapons.
    A despot, who allows his people to starve for ideological reasons, simply cannot be trusted to hold these weapons.
    Especially when his ideology is so strongly held that the creation of his own weapons of mass distruction, outweighs his desire to feed his people.
    What sort of ideology/madness is that?
    And these people regularally say the U.S are Evil??
    mm

• Advertisement

A despot, who allows his people to starve for ideological reasons, simply cannot be trusted to hold these weapons.

Funny considering the N.Korean government have a number of projects currently running, that would change the starvation factor, and the poorness of the country. People were starving in Korea before the Rebellion, and to expect that to stop overnight is a bit much. I don't ratify their "government" however its not so black'n'white as it seems.

What sort of ideology/madness is that?

Yet, its an idealogy that the people of N.Korea have embraced. What would you say, if america told you that Ireland doesn't deserve a Republic, and that they're going to take over? I have a feeling you'd be pissed. North Korea, was taken by the people. The Idealogy was chosen by the people. And i daresay it'll be protected by the people.
    And these people regularally say the U.S are Evil??

You're saying that these people are evil. Are u any more correct than they? In their eyes, america is the source for most of the things that go wrong. Just as they see the US as being the Aggressor in Iraq. Economic sanctions by the US against N.Korea, and Iraq, for the last decade really does give them a reason to hate America.

Originally posted by klaz
    Funny considering the N.Korean government have a number of projects currently running, that would change the starvation factor, and the poorness of the country. People were starving in Korea before the Rebellion, and to expect that to stop overnight is a bit much. I don't ratify their "government" however its not so black'n'white as it seems.
    my point is they are not starving across the border in China or south korea,I wonder why they are starving in north korea then??
    Yet, its an idealogy that the people of N.Korea have embraced. What would you say, if america told you that Ireland doesn't deserve a Republic, and that they're going to take over? I have a feeling you'd be pissed. North Korea, was taken by the people. The Idealogy was chosen by the people. And i daresay it'll be protected by the people.
    considering they are completely closed off from the outside world, not even with radio's that can receive outside stations, it's not surprising that, their way of life is endorsed, it's all that they know.
    kim Jung on the other hand has been to the west many times and is well aware of how warped his society is, but closes his eyes to that.
    You're saying that these people are evil. Are u any more correct than they? In their eyes, america is the source for most of the things that go wrong. Just as they see the US as being the Aggressor in Iraq. Economic sanctions by the US against N.Korea, and Iraq, for the last decade really does give them a reason to hate America.
    no i'm not saying they are evil,but, it would be simple enough for them to run a communist state china style if thats what they want without, expending resources on Nuclear weapons and missiles.
    As I say it would be good for , the region probably if Kim opened talks for merger with china.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i am sorry but why with china and not with 'South 'Korea' ?
    it's like saying , you irish we had enough you better merge with germany or something.

There has to be something in N-korea that Usa and UK want.. i just can not believe that all the sudden N-korea has become a target while they have been in a state of isolation for many years.

(btw: if people starving of hunger because your leader wants to have more weapons is a reason to invade and replace the government , then we should really invade the USA.. and place a UN ex company CEO as replacement.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

All this crap could have been avoided if Rumsfeild had have kept his trap shut. But the idiot like his commander and chief cant help it...the former Nixon adviser (4 million civilians obliterated by secret bombing of Laos and Cambodia) cant help it...he really seems to be enjoying himself.

they are not starving across the border in China or south korea,I wonder why they are starving in north korea then??

Actually its only recently that China has stopped the huge lack of food for their people. Historically all thats been needed in China for starvation is a flood. N.Korea currently have plans for a dam to prevent such from happening in the future.
    considering they are completely closed off from the outside world, not even with radio's that can receive outside stations, it's not surprising that, their way of life is endorsed, it's all that they know.

I'm not arrogant enough to say that my life is any better than another persons. You're looking in on another country's culture, from an agle whereby you're being clouded with western opinions. Asian Culture is alot different to ours, and its in N.Korea you'll see that the most. I'm not saying that their culture is perfect, however i don't think a westerner can make a judgement on it.
    it would be simple enough for them to run a communist state china style if thats what they want without, expending resources on Nuclear weapons and missiles.

True. But Peace has never been declared between South & North Korea. They're still in a state of war. N.Korea has as much right to having such weapons as any other country. I don't see russia or india as being any more responsible with nukes than N. Korea.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Wook
    i am sorry but why with china and not with 'South 'Korea' ?
    it's like saying , you irish we had enough you better merge with germany or something.

There has to be something in N-korea that Usa and UK want.. i just can not believe that all the sudden N-korea has become a target while they have been in a state of isolation for many years.

(btw: if people starving of hunger because your leader wants to have more weapons is a reason to invade and replace the government , then we should really invade the USA.. and place a UN ex company CEO as replacement.)
    Hey, wook, i mean, I'd be worried about the weapons, but commenting on starvation is just referring to the stupidity of it all, priority wise :)
    mm

Actually its only recently that China has stopped the huge lack of food for their people. Historically all thats been needed in China for starvation is a flood. N.Korea currently have plans for a dam to prevent such from happening in the future.
    I still cannot recall having heard of mass starvation in South Korea, my point being, that you can starve your people, to promote an ideology, and in the 21st century, thats not right imho.Thats not arrogance, just humanitarian concern.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Originally posted by Man
    Hey, wook, i mean, I'd be worried about the weapons, but commenting on starvation is just referring to the stupidity of it all, priority wise :)
    mm

i would read the previous post first before making comments like this. I was refering to somebody who wrote this in a post.

Originally posted by Wook
    i would read the previous post first before making comments like this. I was refering to somebody who wrote this in a post.
    pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Man
    I still cannot recall having heard of mass starvation in South Korea

That's because South Korea is for all intents and purposes is a different country. It's like comparing East Germany to West Germany during the cold war.

Asian culture is very different and each country is just as different from each other. North Koreans have a different culture to say South Korea or Japan.

North Korea government isn't starving it's people, the famine is the due to floods over a number of years. The US was giving aid to NK in return to not starting up it's nuclear program but was dragging it's feet on giving it food. What happens? NK starts up it's program. (Asked a SK friend to give me details. Here's a Link. Warning, cheesy music).

TBH, it's in US intrests that NK did start up it's nuclear program. As it has a huge military contract with SK. The feelings of anti-americanism (hate that phrase) are high due to two girls getting killed by US soliders, and also SK and NK becoming a lot closer then they had been in years (despite SK having to bribe NK to sit at the table) would of messed all that up.

When I was in China I saw on the state run TV some kind of NK show which was celebrating NK presidents birthday or something. What was on, looked very similar to what you saw in Russia during it's cold war days.

I see what you are saying Hobbes regarding:
    TBH, it's in US intrests that NK did start up it's nuclear program. As it has a huge military contract with SK. The feelings of anti-americanism (hate that phrase) are high due to two girls getting killed by US soliders, and also SK and NK becoming a lot closer then they had been in years (despite SK having to bribe NK to sit at the table) would of messed all that up.
    It's a bit like us here in Ireland being friendly to the U.S on account of all the jobs here that depend on U.S multi nationals.
    Although I would hope, theres sincerity in U.S - Ireland relations.

East Germany was poor, relative to the west alright, but , they were hardly as extreme as North korea in terms of poorness.
    My problem with NK, is not it's culture, just that things do not have to be the way that they are.
    mm

just that things do not have to be the way that they are.

Which can be said of every country in the world. You're always going to find something that can be changed with a country.

Personally, while i don't really like the restrictions placed on the population of N.Korea, I can admire the fact that they're getting there. Where they were dirt poor, and starving, they're turning it all around, with huge investments in land reform and city modernisations. We look on a poor country and we can't judge them since we're used to having a lifestyle compared to them thats downright rich.
    N Korea warns US of pre-emptive action

N.Korea knows that the US have wanted to re-invade them, and they're now building to prevent that. You don't see the US making moves for the invasion of China do you? N.Korea sees this, and knows the only way to stop an invasion by the US & Europe is to have Nukes at their disposal, and the ability to deploy them.

N.Korea knows that the US have wanted to re-invade them, and they're now building to prevent that. You don't see the US making moves for the invasion of China do you? N.Korea sees this, and knows the only way to stop an invasion by the US & Europe is to have Nukes at their disposal, and the ability to deploy them.
    Given the difficulty, the U.S have persuading China, that invading Iraq is a good idea, I doubt, Kim need have any fears regarding an invasion of his country.
    He would probably be more worried that at some point, his citizens might, wake up and smell the coffee so to speak, that maybe , their countries earnings would be better spent improving their lot, than on nukes.
    I'd say thats what Kim is worried about.

John simpson did a a very good under cover film on current conditions in North Korea, a few weeks back on Newsnight.
    His film, I can tell you, showed no evidence of huge investments in land reform, and city modernisations.
    There was a lot of evidence of impoverishment, something which makes , a drive to develop nuclear weapons very stupid.

Incidently Hobbes, when you talk of the cultures of North and south Korea being different, what do you mean by that?
    I understand that there are whole families which were divided by the split in the country , after the war.
    They couldn't have different cultures.
    You must be referring, to communisim as a culture in the North??
    I wouldn't regard communism as a culture.
    mm

Advertisement