Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Noam on Iraq

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Why do you think what the extreme left wing crank chomsky is blabbering about will make an 'interesting read'? I thought you were supposed to give your own opinions on articles posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I think Chomsky is brilliant. He is a great source of lesser known facts that the White House doesnt want people to hear. He isnt actually given any coverage in the US by the media giants, kinda like Moore. I am reading a book of his at the moment "Rogue States" which compares the US human rights and international law abuses against their dictations on such subjects to other countries. If anyone wants a clear history of US advernturism should read Chomsky, especially all of the America sympathisers and people who think it is the last bastion of democracy. People need a factual history lesson rather than the history that is written by the winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Saint,

I am in the middle of reading the same book, interesting if not heavy going. It's normally people who don't understand his view point who are so quick to discount his views.

BTW Hobbes. I believe Turnip is correct. You should also post your views/opinion on the subject.

Yeah, it is pretty hard going. I'm reading it bit by bit over the last couple of weeks. Its not like a Michael Moore book that you can read in a day or two. I also have quite a lot of audio interviews with him which are quite interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Hobart
    BTW Hobbes. I believe Turnip is correct. You should also post your views/opinion on the subject.

I thought I did. :) It is an intresting article, and Chomsky is far from a crank, but it is intresting that nearly every argument against him is to attack him rather then the argument.

You think he's a crank? Why? Can you point out exactly where?

The first time I saw him was on US TV. It was funny to watch as he was giving valid information and citing sources and the woman who was the counter argument ended up screaming at him saying he was a 'Crank' (sic).

He's also a well respected Professor in MIT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

As good as Chomsky is I think he turns away a large potential audience with his musings coming across like an early morning college lecture while your nursing the mother of all hangovers. He needs to speak to the MTV generation, dude :D

I dont think dumbing down is the way to go, Michael Moore is an alternative if you cant get your head around what Chomsky says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I didnt say I cant get my head round Chomsky but surely you want your massage to reach as many minds as possible, even the less educated ones. On Michael Moore, I do dig him but he does have a tendency to substitute shock value for substance, but then maybe hes doing that to achieve my first point.

whatever

Exactly. If he dumbs down you lose substance.

Advertisement