Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working in Canada

• 06-02-2003 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Im hoping to move to Canada in the next 6 months
    Just wondering if anyone has experience working there
    and are there any really good recruitment websites ?

The area Im going to is Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Any help advice/ much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

a few of my friends went to canada, they tried to look here for a job but had no luck, as loads of companies don't really want the hassle of forgein workers ... I mean they have to interview over phone, that sort of thing, but when they got there they found jobs easyish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm thinking of going also.

Try http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/e_index.htm - it's the embassy in London. Loads of good info including links to jobsites. Don't bother ringing them, my wife did and they referred her to this website.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

i know that the Gov over there had a big drive there a while back
    about getting the umemployment rate down and trying to reduce
    the rate of foreign workers coming into the country taking what
    little jobs were available..

So as far as I know there can be some serious amounts of red
    tape involved when going for certain positions..

But then again that could have all changed by now..

I know the area that you are headin to is fairly sparsely populated
    and that there arent many big towns around that area compared to ontario or the west coast..

Why type of job are you looking to get..??

This site is mainly for people moving within canada but might have some
    handy tips..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why in the hell would you want to live in Halifax? I mean it's pretty and all, but it's in the middle of no where and jobs would be very thin on the ground.

It's *extremely* difficult to get a working visa for Canada. There is an employment slump there right now, basically they only people that are going to get in are the very very highly skilled, those with Phd's etc.

Advertisement