Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry?

Options
  • 06-02-2003 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Someone told me the other day that Derry's council now has a nationalist majority and are going to be renaming "Londenderry":mad: back to Derry:D i anyone know if this is true?

Also what are people's views on this?
    Is is a waste of time?
    Is it just to annoy the unionists?
    Should it be called something impartial?

What do you think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kapper, you seem to have made your :D own :mad: mind up.

I think the name should be changed completely, to something like Foyleville or SlashCity (as in Derry/Londonderry) Actually they sound terrible!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

How about Slash City II: The Revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Who cares what its called. People should be allowed to call it Londonderry or Derry and not have some bigoted idiot rant at them because they do.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by gandalf
    Who cares what its called. People should be allowed to call it Londonderry or Derry and not have some bigoted idiot rant at them because they do.

Gandalf.

There is only one word I can think of to express my feelings on this subject: EXACTLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah but you cant be that reasonable in
    er..Derry/Londonderry so its best to take the ball off them.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Derry/LondonDerry Waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would always call it Derry. Most people call it Derry in everyday usage, including unionists. However, there is a tradition of it being called Londonderry.

By comparison quite a few places in the republic have been renamed over the last 80 years, Kingstown Queenston, Kings County, Queens County, Charleville / Rath Luirc / An Ráth (now changed to Charleville by referendum). Likewise some Dublin streets got renamed: Sackville Street became O'Connell Street, some didn't, We still have Londonbridge Road, Camden Street, Richmond Street, Bolton Street, Waterloo Road, Wellington Road and the likes.

Perhaps call the city Londonderry and the county Derry or vice versa? Or London-Derry? Or do a Buda-Pest on it, with one side caleld Derry and the other London?

Or perhaps show that nationalist are mature and leave it as Londonderry?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    Charleville / Rath Luirc / An Ráth

I wondered about that one (actually I wondered when it changed to An Rath and why)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by sceptre
    I wondered about that one (actually I wondered when it changed to An Rath and why)
    Probably in a bout of 1920s revisionism, but I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Please leave the subject alone, let the people of Derry figure it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement