Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton Personal Firewall, problems with msn messenger

Options
  • 06-02-2003 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Ok, my mate has just started using Norton Personal Firewall and ever since he's started using it he can't use msn messenger properly. He can't send files via messenger or use his webcam and microphone. I can't seem to see what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Killian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

He needs to configure the firewall to allow outbound connections from his msn messenger. As to how to do that, I haven't used norton myself but I'm sure if he goes through the help he could figure it out.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

port 1863 must be open both ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Ok, i added a rule for port 1863.
    So it's possible to receive files and to join webcam as long as the other person sends the request.
    But if i try and send the request it still doesn't work.
    Any more ideas, muck?

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

if messenger 4.6 then add port 1900 both ways too

there is a lot of weird crap with messenger and XP, I nearly wouldnt bother........sorry

personally I went over to yahoo messenger and never went back

for voice you may need to open h.323 (VOIP) ports to get it working

File sharing you need 6891 (to allow 10 simultaneous file transfers open ports 6891 through 6900)

Application and Whiteboard Sharing: 1503

also check the symantec site with specific OS and Version of Norton and Messenger....these problems move around from version to version

Thanks for your help muck.
    I'll have to wait til tomorrow to try it though.

Killian

• Advertisement

I tried opening up port 1900 but still no joy.
    Anymore suggestions?

Killian

Advertisement