Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undying Demo - Fileplanet

Options
  • 07-04-2001 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Out on fileplanet the 96mb demo of Clive Barkers Undying.
    Haven't played it yet myself but hopefully it's damn good.

Link

Nil Desperandum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

There was review in Edge magazine which didn't think it was up to much. Interesting idea though.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I've actualy played the game...

Ignore all the reviews, they never gave it a good score...

First off, the graphics are beautiful, with some lovely locations and generally good details, and the characters / creatures are well done too.

When my friend (Who owns the game) was playing, I was gibbering just by watching the ****ing game!

Some of the things that happen are just classic, and might have you ****ting more than bricks...

I'll give you an example, one area that scared the pants off me...

After you enter a location, there are two routes you can take - left or right.

My friend took the left route, continuously checking for creatures, because he was extremely low on health...

Half way through the left hall, the wind grows in sound, and got my friend a bit worried... Next thing you hear a deep whisper "Look around!" and the wind blows out the lights... Next thing this ****ing army of "Howlers" darting at you from behind, and you can barely fight them off because its so enclosed...

Telling you about it wont make it sound scary, but your guaranteed a jump or two if you play it biggrin.gif

Im out to buy that, and Black & White soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I heard it was ****in scary, but is it as badass as system shock 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

heard it was set in ireland.. , could it be the first mainstream pc game ever set in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

nope "Dizzy and the Leprachauns" was the first one smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Its all set in ireland, yes...

And the accents are just... bad... (Most of them anyway) but its great when your interacting with other NPC's, because you then have the liberty of watching their eyebrows raise and drop in time wih speech, and they all look great!

The atmosphere is tense, and the first level was amazingly done - looks really nice, and will get your heart rate jumping a good few times...

The levels are big, and one thing I found interesting was one of the spells you find early on... (Cue another example)

This particular spell allows sight into the other realm (Well, it traces spirit activity in your current realm). The story is based on some family, and strewn about the mansion are various paintings of this family... I wont tell you much except try looking at these pictures with the spell activated... Its quite interesting at times...
    wink.gif

Seriously... It's worth a try...
    It uses the Unreal Tournament Engine, and runs quite ok on slightly slow computers (But make sure you have a half decent video card... Sometimes a simple blood stain is enough to give you devestatingly low frame rates...)

I dont know what the magazine gave the game, but the least I would give the game (I emphasise least) is %85

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The magazines have been hard on this game and I can understand why. The expectancy level after the likes of Deus Ex is very high these days and so be it. I, on the other hand, like most gamers I'd say DO NOT expect deus ex every time I buy an FPS and in such a frame of mind I have to say Undying is an excellent game. Fear is what it's all about and if you turn out the lights and put the earphones on your hair will be standing on end, I promise you. The professional reviewers will point out how there is little interaction with the environment and not an inspiring story but I say ignore the higher brow that is being forced on us and play the game and enjoy it. They ar even lauding Serious Sam and Psycho Circus for the opposite reasons so if you like a scary story and being scared ****less get this game.

M

And there you have it biggrin.gif

Advertisement