Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions about NTL Digital

• 07-02-2003 3:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

The main reason I'm interested in Digital at all is not channel choice but picture quality. I've got a Panasonic AE100 16:9 projector and although the picture quality from DVD's is great, the picture from analogue NTL leaves a lot to be desired what with grain and interference etc.

Can I assume that NTL Digital will be a marked improvement PQ wise over analogue?

As a result of the fewer channels available(which I'm not bothered about), does that mean that the bitrates are higher than on NTL in the UK or SKYD meaning no or fewer Mpeg artifacts?

If for instance someone is watching a DVD on the PJ is it possible for the NTL Digibox to be moved to another room and connected to the NTL RF Wall socket in that room (we currently have and pay for 2 extra tv points) in order to watch SKY Sports on that TV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Ive seen both Sky and NTL digital (i have NTL). The picture on mine is excellect (maybe even a bit sharper than Sky? might just have seen sky on some poorer tv's). Some have complained bout interuptions in the picture but i have found momentary black screen very rare (i watch quiate a bit too). Im not sure of the bit rate but i think i could find out in the engineers menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thanks Dotsie.

Am I going to see a noticable difference in PQ becuase as I said thats the only reason I'd want digital. Is the improvement anything like that between VHS and DVD for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

If you are going digital i'd personally opt for sky over ntl any day, which i'll be doing once the contract expires. The incessant 5, 10 second black outs are truly annoying,. They have destroyed many a good football game, for example the recent liverpool arsenal match i missed three of the goals due to those frequent black out which arise at the most unwelcome of moments regardless of time of day.

If cash is a burden, go with ntl but if you have deep pockets choose sky, much more channels with lots of regular new additions and features in comparison with ntl which changes the colour scheme once in a blue moon.

Picture quality is probably even

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The picture drop outs are annoying, but thankfully don't occour too often (although them occouring at all is enough to make me switch back to analogue for the evening). Picture quality in general is quite good, and definitely an improvement over analogue. On BBC ONE NI, BBC TWO NI, UTV, and Channel 4, you'll have a proper (16:9) digital widescreen picture on most programmes. Most of the other channels are transmitted in 4:3 though.

As for moving the box about - seems it depends. There should be no problem in theory, and I have recieved reports that it has been done. In practice, I have my box installed on a new NTL-branded wall socket which seems to use different connectors (they screw on and off) to that used on my old (1991 vintage) Cablelink-branded socket. I'm sure you can get adaptors though, but I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

Posted by ICDG
    There should be no problem in theory, and I have recieved reports that it has been done. In practice, I have my box installed on a new NTL-branded wall socket which seems to use different connectors (they screw on and off) to that used on my old (1991 vintage) Cablelink-branded socket. I'm sure you can get adaptors though, but I haven't tried it.
    All my sockets are cablelink branded rather than NTL but the 2 extra tv points we had installed a few years ago have the new screw on connectors while the original tv point has the old conventional type. I've rewired my own custom length co-ax cables with these newer connectors in the past and you can get them in your local woodies etc. I was just worried that maybe NTL would have to install proprietry wall sockets(with electronics inside etc) which would mean more expense if I wanted the other tv points converted as well. If its just a normal tv point then I don't think I would have a problem moving the box around.

Thanks for the responses lads, I think I'll go with NTL because as I said its PQ rather then channel choice I'm after. I'm prepared to put up with the occasional blackout rather then incur the extra cost with Sky and the hassle of Mirror SUBs(or lack thereof!) new Cabling, lack of all terrestrials(utv/C4) and thus having to keep NTL anyway...etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement