Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with B&W

Options
  • 06-04-2001 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Im in a b1tchy mood at the moment with this game, after an hour of trying to finish level three it culminates in the game freezing as my creature was on his way to leveling the temple.

So now i feel, after a week of playing to list the problems i find while playing this fun game.

1. The camera is a joke, sometimes you can zoom and pan and other times while doing the same thing you only move miles away from what your trying to look at

2. The worshippers are pathetic, whether youre good or evil you still have to spend 95% of the game keeping these f*ckers fed. Plus i keep getting the message " ha, youre worshippers are working and dying for ya". Cmon im not supposed to spend the other 5% of my time doing worshipper rotation.

3. The area of influence is a joke. Sometimes you can go across the map doing stuff and other times you cant go 5cms outside the ring.

4. The enemy set-up. I was trying to convert the last village in level 3 for ages. Eventually i wiped them out but even with one villager left i needed 1300 belief to convert them. Plus if your creature goes anywhere near the blue stuff he gets fried by the god. The problem is his lightening can kill my guy in 2 seconds but i can waste 5 spells on his creature and hes still standing.

5. My creature is a dumb-ass. So much was made of the AI but they forgot the basic stuff. Over since the start ive trained my creature to eat all kinds of food. But when he is at 56% hunger he throws away anything i hand at him. Plus he cant seem to feed himself, unless its villagers hes gorging himself on. His "good deed" leash involves him watering the same plot of land all the time. Many times ive tried to get him to go someplace, i turn back to him and hes doing circles.

The problems go on (some of these could be my fault) but the biggest problem i find is with
    6. Lionhead have shafted us with the manual. Theres nothing in there. They have set the game up where you cant proceed without buying the guide, and that p1sses me off more than anything.

Dont let this detract anyone from buying this game ( as if it would smile.gif). My ramblings are meaningless really but if anyone else is having probs with the game please reply. Id hate to think the problems are just me being stupid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. The camera isn't the best but then if you have a three button mouse and bother to follow the full sub-quest instructions it's quite easy to use.

2. Just drop your totem pillar to 0 and they get back to work.

3. Again it explains that you are able to do things outside your sphere of influence for a short period of time based on how long you stay inside yours.

4. *shrug*

5. you need to teach him more then. I let him eat two villagers and then slaped the crap out of him and didn't do it again. Likewise if you want him to eat it then rub the creatures tummy while he's holding it then stroke the creature afterwards to remember.

Two problems teaching them to eat too much. (1) they eat more often, (2) they have to be retrained to bring food into villages outside your sphere of influence.

6. yea the manual really covers the basic. Most of what you need to know is in the first level.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

I must just be stupid so frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Vega

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

My creature has eaten one person so far and I beat him for a full 2 minutes, he was on the ground for a lot of that being hammered, he's never done it again. Firm but fair. Anoying thing is tho that the guy he ate was part of a subquest smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

like that piper lad on the first level, every time I told my creature to walk with him to the hut, he would walk a couple of metres, then pitch him the rest of the way, then in trying to get in and bat him, the leash gets all tangled, and u beat him for something else, cool game tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

On the whole I amn't much fond of my creature eating folk, but I did feed the annoying guy with the southern states of america accent from the first level to him. I got great satisfaction out of that smile.gif

There isn't any point in beating up your creature past the 100% mark Mills - although it can be fun :P

(Today's quote of the day, heard as an anguished shout across the office: "My tiger just ate the f*cking child molester! Ba$tard!")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Camera can be annoying at times , and it doesnt run great on my comp ... but i still like it otherwise.

And that annoying guy shinji was on about .. i just fúcked him over the mountains repeatedly until he died smile.gif

So far its a bit boring tho .. but i suppose im only on the second level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I know I didnt teach him any more but I jus got carried away that he'd eaten the drowning kids on the first level, I smacked him to 100% then I had that woman complaining about me eating her children, so I beat him into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

1. When i was doin the piper task, i caught the piper, my creature ate him.

2. when i was doing the drowning fishermen task my creature ate the girl who calls for help.

3. He wont learn anything, every time i try and teach him he just sits there eating his own crap and throwing it at people frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Muha, all your creatures suck.

My Tiger can

a) pick up trees and use them to stock up the wood reserves

b) feed himself from flocks of sheep around the place in level 2

c) walk through villages, pick up people and turn them into "disciples of breeding" by rubbing them against himself (don't ask me how he picked this trick up)

d) cast "create food" into the food reserves

e) kick the crap out of the Turtle and the Coyote on level 2 (PS, the Turtle is your allie's creature, so kicking the crap out of him is purely for fun and profit)

My Tiger cannot cast many good spells yet though, and the Coyote creature can fry him with lightning until I get close enough to smack the crap out of him.

And yes, it is really annoying keeping the worshipers fed. They should be able to go back and feed themselves, I am constantly running out of manna for casting spells with.

Also, tracing some of the more "complex" spells into the ground (like the house one, or the heart) seems impossible, and I haven't found any decent shortcut to do it yet. Tracing fireball is easy though, so I'm toasting a lot of people.

I'm currently on level 3 where some "interesting stuff" has happened so far.

And has anybody managed to convert the guy with the yank accent on level 1 who doesn't believe in you?

-Son of Blam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

got game yesterday ... did everythin but catch that bloody piper woman steeling kids how do i manage that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

something tells me that nobody managed to convert that yank...
    hes such a cheeky little *******
    i demolished his house and then smashed him into a mountain until he died...
    i love being god smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

attach the leesh to him

I taught mine to crap and throw it's feces at the villagers. Top that. tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

doesnt matter, got it..

[This message has been edited by WhiteWashMan (edited 07-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Mine dances on enemy villages

I'm not saying what Im saying, Im not thinking what Im thinking.
    "Then what are you thinking?"
    I think I need a drink

Jesus , my tiger does fúck all except get hungry and fight people .. I dont really get how ye teach him these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

You guys must all suck. I've had it one day and my tiger can cast 3 miracles, use the storage pit thing & the workshop, feed himself on anything, fish, raise & lower the totem and loads of other crap too. What ****es me off though is he doesn't think I spend enough time with him. Also, it says he eats villagers, but I never see him do it. confused.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ROFL.
    Hobbes you really are a god hahahha.

DeV.

ps:
    My Gorilla ate one of the people in the water and I beat the crud out of him. Then yer wan complains that I didnt save them all (like I saved 3/4 missus!) so I tossed her accross the island into a mountain.

That'll teach her to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

lol
    does neone have ne clue wtf u do in the multiplayer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It started off well, but now it KEEPS FSCKING CRASHING, and one time my tiger got stuck in another village, wouldn't respond to anything, etc. I can't get that b4stard piper either - the fag0t tiger just keeps throwing him away any time I catch him.
    And I couldn't stone those singer gimps after they sailed off frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Having problems running it? I found this on the bwgame.com forum. Copy the Audio folder from you're cd into the B&W folder and replace all. 'Tis a god send.

Trust me.

Nm , theres nothing really thats hard to understand ... i had a game online this morning its basically just a skirmish game against human opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I hate this game mad.gifmad.gif ( not really but it is enfuriating)
    Im now on the fourth mission and its killing me. I returned to the game this morning with a great idea on how to stop the fireballs (ive already stopped the lightening and rain).Ill post my technique on the bottom. Anyway i managed to stop most of the fireballs from smoking my village, so the logical thing to do would be to have your creature take care of any fires. However my creature (the cow) is the dopiest thing in the world. Now i have trained my creature to fix fires whenever they hit my village and to give him credit he does : about 50% of the time. The rest of the time hes either sleeping or can be found miles away from my village. The times he does put out the fires he does them all wrong. Whenever my village center catches fire my creature is found watering the fields mad.gif, of all things fields. The spiritual shield is next to useless- takes half an hour to charge and is wasted by one fireball. Speaking of fields ive discovered a (bug?) that whenever a field is razed by a fire if you water it the fire starts back up again. I still stand by my opinion that the version shipped is riddled with bugs that ****es me off. I spent $48 on a game, i expect it to be (bringing up the JC from years back) 1. Of merchentable Quality etc.

Spoiler: how i deal with the fireballs in level 4
    Dont know if this'll help much but if you position yourself above your village when the fireballs start you can make a pretty good effort at catching the fireballs and throwing them away from the village. shame the barrage lasts so long with little respite in between frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Winning Hand (edited 09-04-2001).]

Why don't you leash your pet and attach the leash to the center of town and make it so it can only move in the town by constricting the leash?

Also spirital shield you can charge up really quick by sacrificing children. I normally kill all the kids near the end of the level to boost my belief level up really high.

Oh yea don't sacrifice your priests.
    You get really good points for them but they had adverse effects.

Oh yea, put the leash of learning on the pet then train it to put out fires. Then change it to the leash of compassion. It will then be more prone to help the villagers.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 09-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

I dont know what level "number" im on, but its the one where your creature is captured and u have to follow that guru a$$h0le around half the map. All I can do here is lob fireballs at the next village outside my influence, or so it seems. WH, you are past that are u? how the hell do i get past it? its annoying the hell out of me. u can mail me instead of tellin the lads if they dont want to know, ronan@spinsol.com.

overall, the game seems to rock, its horribly addictive, but when ure creature gets captured and you have to rebuild all over again is extremely annoying, its like in starcraft when someone rapes you and u have to start with a single hatchery again. or somethin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

duh, figured it out, it's a bit silly. this game deffo gets a good 10/10 for frustration anyway.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Does lobbing shít at villagers do much? (lol)

It eats it's own shít? (double lol)

I think chucking villagers at mountains and into the sea would be oh so much fun (Triple lol)

The sheep is so ****ing cute - Pity it's as dumb as hell (Apparantly)

/me hasn't played the game yet, but is dying to buy it...

lionovergreekvillage.jpg

[This message has been edited by RopeDrink (edited 09-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It seems that if you copy the Audio dir from the CD onto your hard disk (220mb) it fixes quite a few of the crashing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

didnt work fer me

Advertisement