Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the death penalty ever justifiable?

Options
  • 28-08-2000 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I hope that most of you agree that the death penalty is not a nice thing. If you don't, well we can argue about that too. I just presumed that it wouldn't take much arguing because most people in Ireland think it's silly. But is it ever a nice thing? For instance when someone has killed hundreds of people? Or perhaps Hitler .. should he have been sentenced to death if he didn't kill himself?

I feel that no-one's life should ever be taken away by someone else. Everyone has something nice inside them. Everyone is capable of being nice. You just have to find it. In some people it is hidden better than in others. But it's still there.

I don't know if anyone wants to discuss this, but I like to play with things like this, especially when they have pretty smilies at the top.

Everyone needs to be somebody, everyone needs to find someone who cares.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree. I won't say anything else, just play with the smiley faces. smile.gifsmile.gif

big up my homies
    ok here is my say:
    in a perfect community (ie one that is most efficient for the COMMUNITY as a whole) the death penalty is needed to kill those who are plotting against the community. Individuals must suffer to help the greater good.
    otherwise, death penalty is bad. Except for A1. If they ever cover A-Ha again I'll string 'em up myself. nih. what words does this board censor
    gay
    ****sucker

The Death Penalty is NEVER justified. It is completely inhumane and no matter what anyone has done they should not be killed. Murder cannot be justified, and the death penalty is just another way for the US government to kill more people.

iMP
    -aka- Ian Mulholland
    imp@comicwriter.com

Personally I don't believe in the death penalty because its basically the state taking life and death into their own hands and even though a person may have committed a crime no one else is justified in killing them.
    However, and I always have a however, victims, or families of the victims, do have a right to retribution and as opposed as I may be to the death I know that if some one murdered someone in my family I'd have no hesitations about giving them the death penalty.Yes I know that it will not undo what has been done neither will ocking the person up in jail for the rest of their life, or as in most cases for 25 years.
    Okay vultures go tear my ramblings apart.
    Jen

says cillian:
    >>in a perfect community (ie one that is most efficient for the COMMUNITY as a whole) the death penalty is needed to kill those who are plotting against the community. Individuals must suffer to help the greater good.<<

in a primitive community, the death penalty is often necessary, as there are often no adequate measures to prevent dissenting individuals from toppling a power structure that may well be undeveloped and fragile. in more developed sytems, among which i(possibly wrongly) rank ours, this is not necessary, as individuals who are are a danger to either other people or to the society as a whole can be confined. or so i think.

• Advertisement

In a perfect community, the death penalty WOULDNT be necessary. Because, by definition, in a perfect community, everyone would be happy and noone would do anythign warranting serious punishment of any kind.
    duh.

In real life:
    I think the death penalty is stupid. And kinda sickening. No-one has the right to take someone else's life, it's as simple as that. Life is a basic human right.
    lalala
    ifa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement