Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what's the verdict on Black&White

Options
  • 09-04-2001 3:21am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ignore the hype, ignore the bull, you've played the game. How good is it? How bad is it? etc...Here's my limited tack:-

1.What the hell am I doing trying to keep my people happy with food, wood, buildings, civic buildings etc. .. I mean a God can only do so much for crying out loud. Surely your people aren't all paraplegics.
    2. I need a hotkey to interect with my creature. I mean I see him eat a child so, having decided to take the good direction it's time to punish him big-time. Only one problem. I don't click on him fast enough. By the time I'm beating him to kingdom come it's just after he ****ted all over a bush and all I get is "Your creature will not poo there anymore."
    3. Too much resource management mean my creature is running wild. I was busy trying to get a village to behave like the proverbial rabbits only to see a message "The miracle has worn off." He had only gone picking a fight with an enemy God's creature the soft ****e.
    4. Will the Japanese love this or what?
    5. Arrgh I thought I was punishing my creature for eating a person but he was actually converting them to breeders as he had seen me do. But now he's confused. Dang he'll probably go **** on the temple.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

There is a hotkey, press L to toggle between the leash on/off, and afiak its V to toggle between the Leash types.

I'm still trying to get my creature back @ the mo tho,
    One thing tho, I hav'nd been that evil, @ times like if a new village wont convert fast enuff, i'll done some ligting bolts fire ball's ect, but clean up with water/heal straight after, (seems to be fairly effective ) all the silver scrolls i've done in the good way, but my temple/hand looks defo on the evil side a things....

If u want him to learn quickly, only use the leash of learning and bring him every where with ya.
    Have my Tiger trained to help the villagers by himself, casting food, wood ect when ever its needed. Takes abit of weight off my sholders smile.gif (esp if u leash him to the temple with a short leash, u wont need to keep placing food for the worshipers, he'll do it for ya)

Personally i think its a kewl game, bit annyoing @ times but overall it Ro><0rs smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

I think you're meant to share the micromanagement workload with the creature by teaching it to do stuff. But yeah, the villagers AI is too dumb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I know about the leash hotkey but what I think would help is a hotkey for interact. Interact is when you right-click on him and go to punish/reward him.

M

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I've only heard things about the game, and I really want it now...

One bloke trained his creature to lob his own shíte at the villagers...

rofl biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Has anyone tried out some of the creatures released onto the net? There's a Horse, Gorilla and a Mandrill or something.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Advertisement

www.bwgame.com - (which is the B&w site according to the lionhead site and the game manual) is'nd up for some reason !?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

so far i think its excellent.
    some things need to be worked on.
    one thing i have noticed, when you exit from a game etc, it saves all the creatures personallyity and abilities. so you really have to work hard to keep him on the right track. if you decided to be eveil in one gae and have a crappy animal, your creature will remain so after the game as well...
    the game is really hard thou. one thing ive noticed is sometimes it crashes at the most inoppertune time.
    but over all, the game is really good. im not a fan of micromanagement, so spending an hour or two to get your creature to do it is not only fun for all the family but the better you do it, you more work for you later on.
    if ou leave the leash of compassion on him and stick him on the store he will start doing all the chores.
    also, have you ever seen a tiger break dance before? hehehe, my creature rox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

What kinda spec will I need to run this acceptably?

Im running a p3 560 with a ge force 1 and 1 gb of ram, is this enough?

no, but it'll do.
    and you think im kinding?
    even my machine runs a bit slow
    when there was 2 creatures fighting last night and my creature was looking on, it went down to an amazing 2 frames per second. i **** you not...
    and im running a p3 700 and 512mg ram, tnt2

1.2ghz athlon k7, 512 ram, geforce 2 - runs like a dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

El_Pres I'm running it on a PII 400 128 Ram and TNT2 Ultra 32MB with hig detail graphics and its running fine. The only slow bits is starting the feicing game and going from temple to game and visa versa but then again I'm still on Level 1 so I dont know what it will be like with a big fight going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

IT KILLED MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!

It blue screens after the lionhead logo, now some dirver is fuped!?!?!?!?!?!

After paying £44 for it you think that it would work.

If i have to format I'll be sending it back WITH OUT EVER SEEING THE DAMN THING!!!!!!

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

It's very good but I've got one qualm with it, too much boring everyday stuff that takes me away from more important things, like throwing stones. I can never keep my worshippers happy, they're always hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

It is not as good as it should be.

btw if you're evil, you can sacrafice villagers instead of making them worshipo by dropping them on your altar. I don't think it says so in the manual.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    It is not as good as it should be.

btw if you're evil, you can sacrafice villagers instead of making them worshipo by dropping them on your altar. I don't think it says so in the manual.
    </font>

you dont have to be evil to do it.
    besides, its stops them complaining about needing more houses if you 'cull' the populatin wwman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

cull the population - LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

LOL, good idea that smile.gif It'll save me feeding them too wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

i bought it on friday returned it on saturday, i didnt like it at all, its still a good game just not my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I think its pretty l33t, gotta love those fireballs biggrin.gif and on medium detail on my p3 550 128mb ram ati rate 128mb pro comp it works grand so far smile.gif (only on the 2nd island tho)

UP DA DUBS!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I may also return it. I love god games but man the whole things just a big pain in the árse. Look after creature, look after worshippers, do a forest miracle and then all the trees disappear. Wah! I'm starving! Wah! I need offspring! Bah! Sure, if I read the manual or something I'll probably get use to it.

Shoulda known, I hated The Sims as well. Too much damned work. If I wanted that amount of hassle I'd get married wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement

Be evil, sacrifice your children, train your creature to eat the little *******s, burn them regularily to show them who is boss. Do build more houses, it means you have more people to sacrafice and a larger area of influence. DO NOT FINISH THE GAME. There is a common bug that sometimes causes you're critters to shrink in skirmish and online games after you finish. Better to wait for the patch, I say.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Press the C key to centre the view on your creature if you need to give him a slap or whatever. I caught the ****er healing some villagers once and I beat the crap out of him for 2 minutes solid. **** was lying in a heap whimpering by the time I'd finished biggrin.gif

A good way to keep yourself in spells (especially that l33t lightning one) is to turn your village into nymphos, then sacrifice the hordes of children produced. You've probably guessed by now that I have a nice 3v1l hand and temple - mess with me and you'll get burned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

I'll tell u what I think of B&W .... - utterly overhyped.

After playing it for all of ..what... 3 days non stop, I'm a small turtle in the 4th level and fairly ****ed off.

It starts out with such promise... you actually think it's going somewhere, and then you realise it doesn't get better, just stays put.

Not enough mini quest things either...and the fact u have to download the extra creatures is stupid.

Maybe the patch will sort out some of the problems it has.... but after really wanting to play it for the first few days, I really couldn't be arsed now.

U spend hours clicking....this, that, the other...is this counted as fun? All the mags gave it savage ratings, but realistically they only played a couple levels b4 giving the final score.

Im annoyed at the moment anyway, maybe in a little while I'll want to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

yeah but i think it will be better multiplayer. way better.
    theres like 5 or 6 of us on the lan here playing it like mad, (only figured out how to spawn a multi there now, u dont run a server, its done like Duke3D etc, everyone says "look for a game" and its started then), but already we are mad to throw our creatures at each other and bust each other. should be well cool.

I was real ****ed off for a while, but if you take time to train your critter, it is far more rewarding.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

Yea actually..... I started all over again.

This isn't like a normal game... you actually need to spend lots of time just messin about doing little things. But thing is, they're worth it.

I'm spending ages on level 1, training the creature etc, and tbh, I do really like.

I think if you just head off and try to finish it, you're missing the point of the game.

Play around...spend time.. there is a brilliant game in here, it just needs some teasing out.

Oh, and I urge you to get the Leopard, he's class.... lazy **** though, just eats and sleeps... but funny none the less. He was 100% fat for a while too... kept falling over.

Yea, well.... its certainly getting better.
    Still doubtful bout multiplayer though.

Oh and aswell...I hear if you just start a skirmish game and leave it running, after ages (hours and hours i suppose) your creature grows tall. Just saying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Ah gway, nothing beats sending your creature into a neutral village on an agression leash. Mine casts loads of fireballs and lightning, then eats any villagers that aren't on fire biggrin.gif Then i put on the compassion leash and he uses the water miracle to put out the fires....You get loads of belief quickly smile.gif

UP DA DUBS!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

More than a little dissapointed really.

The game is beautiful to look at, that's for sure, but the progression in the single player game seems poor to me. There aren't enough different miracles and you get access to almost them all (execpt the megablast) almost immediately.

The pace of the game feels wrong to me too. Level 3 expecially felt like an awful slog. Hours seemed to slip by without any real feeling of progress.

Civ could make you sit there for hours too doing the same thing over and over but you always felt you were getting somewhere. Too often I feel like I'm just treading water in B&W. Miracle after tedious miracle to impress another vilage you couldn't really give a toss about.

I tried being really evil; burned, electrocuted, drowned, crushed and sacrificed to beat the band. Didn't find that any better really frown.gif

Still, I'll probably play it to the end, but it's not what I was hoping for.

Advertisement