Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Vs Gameplay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sliotar:
    i wouldnt consider single player half life (if thats what you're referring to) as a truly great game....</font>

hmmm controversial, along with Deus Ex I found Half Life to be amongst the greatest gaming experiences of my life. Those and getting my score so high on Atari 2600 Pacman that it reset to 0.

In fact I think I'll drag the beast out and replay it for the umpteenth time *goes off searching for Pacman cartridge*

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Arguing about Graphics vs Gameplay is a bit pointless really. All modern games are so tweakable you can have it anyway you want. Now that I have an Athlon 1gig, Radeon Graphics card etc. I can play a single player game with all the frills because I want to be as imersed as possible. Deus Ex wouldn't be the gem it is if the environment had low texture detail, coronas turned off etc. but go online and you can turn these off. Online when fragging we religiously turn down all detail to get 100 fps instead of 60 with all detail at high because we like to delude outselves we will be king of the heap with more fps. Whatever the reason we can achieve the look and playability we pretty much desire without asking game designers to tone down on the T&L. And Amp got the order of preference slightly wrong. When online or even playing a sinlgle player game Sound comes before graphics so we can hear something and from whence it comes. And with games like Undying we can be frightened. Atmosphere folks. Oh how I wish I could have the atmosphere of Doom all over again.....

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by musician:
    And Amp got the order of preference slightly wrong. When online or even playing a single player game Sound comes before graphics so we can hear something and from whence it comes.
    M
    </font>

But graphics does have a very important effect on the gameplay, like sound...

You have to be able to see you opponents...

I can't play CS on my machine at home,
    at 400x300 in DirectX at 12fps (yes, twelve)
    I can't see other people until their right in front of me, and I'm dead.

Perhaps I'm just used to playing on a better machine in work...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Graphics
                     |
                     |
                 *GAMEPLAY*
                 /        \
                /          \
            Netcode       Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

gameplay of course

btw
    SICO
    u have waaaaaaaaaaay to much time in ur hands
    lol
    go shag that burd with the "large mammaries"
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[05:40] <Sico-wurk> jesus @ the knockers on some wan here</font>
    biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

• Advertisement
Advertisement