Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where the hell did all you people come from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So what if he walked into a door. Sven fell over a parked car. He just kinda, well, walked into it and fell over the bonnet like in a Hollywood movie.

Not-So-Interesting fact of the day: The RPG from half-life is the same weapon used to attack MI6 a few days ago.

iMP

Originally posted by Mahotée:

Dance for me.

One two, turn, spin, tap-tap-a-tap, cartwheel, splits, bow.

Satisfied?

Susan

[This message has been edited by Shurikan (edited 22-09-2000).]

I would like to support 90% of what Cillian said... except Half-Life is fun... and Mario 3 was the best Mario game ever (possibly best GAME ever)... And Ultima 7 should be on the list.

As for the car... I was running backwards and... YOU WEREN'T EVEN THERE YOU...

Finally...

Um...

Ian... looks... funny?
    (I love you really)

Sven

MARIO 3 RULES! I've got that game on a Nes converter (thank you brother) and I've completed it three times since we got it about a month ago...it is so much fun. Hammer Bros costumes rule.

Originally posted by lordsippa:
    I would like to support 90% of what Cillian said... except Half-Life is fun... and Mario 3 was the best Mario game ever (possibly best GAME ever)... And Ultima 7 should be on the list.

As for the car... I was running backwards and... YOU WEREN'T EVEN THERE YOU...

Finally...

Um...

Ian... looks... funny?
    (I love you really)

Sven

Um, Eoin - your sexuality is your own business but I'm not that kind of person.

iMP

• Advertisement

um. hammer bros costumes are cool
    but mario 2 is still THE BEST
    anyone out there ever have a nes? i loved mine to bits
    and i dont care, half life IS TERRIBLE
    brutal even
    n e 1 see daphne & celeste on nevermindthebuzz****s tonite? rather funny how much they can embarrass themselves (although they do have some good "assets" hehheh) im such a man.
    hit me fiona.

I had a NES! Wait a sec, I still have a NES! Yay for the NES (although I still stand by my statement that the PC is the best gaming machine).

iMP

Oh right. Half-Life is f**king brilliant. OK?!? If you need proof look at the 100 Game of the Year awards it received and also PCG's no. 1 Game of All Time Award two years in a row. Have you even played Half-Life? It kicks ass.

iMP

Ian, I think Cillian is allowed his somewhat flawed views... MARIO 3 IS THE BEST MARIO GAME EVER! Anyone who disagrees shall have their... <ahem>... removed with improper proceedure.

And yes, my sexuality IS my business, but Ian is right really, I shouldn't talk about him that way.

Anyway, has anyone here played Ultima 7? It won't run properly (ie. it goes WAY too fast) on my computer! Even MoSlo won't help! I'm deprived of my addiction... DAMN YOU PENTIUM AND YOUR FAST CHIPS!

Sven

[This message has been edited by lordsippa (edited 23-09-2000).]

How can anyone not like Half-Life???

Its still one of the best single player games out (Only recently was it knocked off number one in my opinion by Deus Ex) and the Counter Strike mod is the best multiplayer game there is at the moment. And thats that.

TFC sucks donkeyb0llocks though.

A

• Advertisement

Anyone here remember the good ol' days of Quake Team Fortress? Those GREAT, GREAT days?

Anyone?

Sven

Me for one. Thank you Sven, I probably wouldn't have played it for many years more if you and Shane hadn't brought me to that Cyber Cafe back in the days when the internet was not in great supply...

iMP

Originally posted by Asuka:
    How can anyone not like Half-Life???

Kate doesn't like guns. But Sarah would love it (OP4 anyway), because it features the Desert Eagle, the mention of which..... oh never mind.

Ooh! you know what's a fun game? that thing we were playing at Noirins where I kept slapping people(both in the game and out)and RUAIRI KEPT KILLING ME!!! Evil ruairi *grumblegrumble*

Susan

Yes! The Desert Eagle is one of the most fu<king kick ass guns in the world. For list of all the most kick ass guns in the world, click here.

A

I don't remember editing that message...
    Funny (looks at Ian suspiciously)...

Anyone here ever have an Amiga (the memories! smile.gif )?

On the subject of weapons, goto www.tigerstrike.com for swords and stuff.

Sven

I had an amiga. Well, I shared one with my brother. I was quite good at Simon the Sorceror (one of the funniest games ever made...not in the comic sense, it was just really funny).

I had Simon The Sorcerer (for my PC, though). Was OK.

MONKEY ISLAND 2: LE'CHUCKS REVENGE is THE BEST GAME EVER!

Anyone ever read Amiga Power (the magazine of Champions)?

Sven

Yeah, LeChuck's revenge is cool. Anyone here ever play any of the Monkey Island fangames? I hear some of them were quite good. Can't wait for Monkey Island IV (Escape from Monkey Island) anyway...

iMP

Half-Life is a decent game, certainly the best shooter ever made. Still, it is a shooter, and still basically follows the "see bad guy, shoot bad guy" routine. Still, it did push the bar somewhat higher than the "see red door, find red key" DooM clones that were (and are) being churned out at the time. Half-Life did have key hunts, only their dynamic was more along the lines of, "see locked door, find scientist", which was at least something different.

On the multiplayer side of things, I get the feeling that I'm the only person on the face of the earth who likes Half-Life standard DM. Counter-Strike is nice, but still fairly simple gameplay-wise.

Thief, System Shock, and Deus Ex are all incredible games, which defy categorization. They have dynamic environments and wonderfully immersive gameplay, and Deus Ex even has a killer engine. I want more games like these; this isn't to say I want a bunch of Deus Ex clones, but rather, I want immersive, realistic games with rich open-ended environments (even more so than Deus Ex). Give me real physics in a dynamic world and true AI conversation over machine guns and blue keys any day.

Deus Ex doesn't come with multiplayer, but there are multiplayer mods being written. Think about a Deus Ex team assualt mode... ooh, the possibilities smile.gif

For all you Quake fans, I'm sorry, but id software has seriously lost their touch. Quake was a solid shooter, with good multiplayer. Quake 2's single player is a nauseating and boring mix of browns and olive drab. Its multiplayer is also similarly colored, but at least it's fun. Quake 3 is graphically fairly nice, but contains absolutely no gameplay. If you want multiplayer action, Unreal Tournament is a far, far better game (with nicer graphics, to boot).

Now id is remaking DooM. Again. Yay?

~~
    Ignie Ferroque,
    Ash. - "Non Facete Nobis Calcitrare Vestrvm Perinævm"

• Advertisement

Who gives a damn about Z-Buffering on the X-Box in two years time when we have it on a standard PC nowadays.

Do you know what a Z-Buffer is? Do you know anything about current and next-gen console technology? If the answer to both questions is, "yes", then I can only conclude that logic is, shall we say, not your friend.

Of course the X-Box has a Z-Buffer. My PC's GeForce has a Z-Buffer. The Sega Dreamcast has a Z-Buffer. The Playstation 2 has a Z-Buffer. The Playstation 1 has a Z-Buffer. And though I'm not certain, I'm fairly sure that the Nintendo 64 has one, too.

The X-Box will be a very powerful machine. The PS2 is a very powerful machine. Both are capable of doing things that your PC flat-out cannot. The PS2 has a polygon throughput of around 60M tris/sec. The most powerful chip available (nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra) for PCs is capable of 35M tris/sec. In a few months, of course, PCs will overtake the PS2 (the PS2's 16MB of memory already put it at a bit of a disadvantage). This isn't anything new; consoles are usually superior to PCs when they come out, but PCs rapidly overtake the static console architecture(s).

[ Aside: The Playstation 2's CPU, the Emotion Engine, is actually a [i]very[/i] powerful and scalable chip in its own right. Sony is developing a workstation that will use 64 of the chips. How fast will it be? It will be able to render the Final Fantasy movie with a small reduction in texture detail. In real time. If you've seen the Final Fantasy trailer, feel free to drag your jaw off the ground at any time now... ]

The X-Box is going to have a nVidia-designed media (graphics + sound + north bridge) system, which will be more powerful than the PCs available when it is released. That will change a few months after its release, naturally, especially since nVidia will probably release a chip for the PC more powerful than the nV2A (their X-Box chip).

The X-Box is capable of, in terms of raw, single-textured polygons, 300M polys/sec (if you do the math, that comes out to 16.2 polys/pixel at 640 by 480 x 60 fps, which means the XB has quite a bit of GPU power to spare [for texture passes]). Some of the great things about the X-Box's graphics system is its programmable pipeline. Per-pixel and per-vertex instruction pipelines can be uploaded into the GPU. This allows for some great effects, like dynamic BRDF lighting (for sparkly water, fuzzy velvet, shiny brushed aluminum, etc.), and vertex / control point manipulation (physics engine, here I come...). Partially to solve bandwidth issues, and partially because it's a hell of a lot easire on everyone involved (and it's just a better system), the GPU will also be able to render higher-order surfaces (like NURB meshes, Catmull-Clarke surfs, etc...).

In short, the X-Box will kick some graphical ass... for about two months, until the PC overtakes it. Of course, the X-Box has a slew of problems, too. It doesn't have a keyboard or mouse. Though this makes sense for a console (to use a KB and mouse properly, you need to sit down. At a desk. Which most people don't have in front of their TV), it makes it virtually impossible to control games even as complex as Quake; Deus Ex is right out. Also, the screen is a television, so you're limited in resolution to about 640 by 480. All those pretty, high-resolution textures are going to some serious waste.

I'm not sounding the death call of the PC as a gaming platform (as tends to happen every five years or so). The PC will, on average, be able to stay ahead of the console technology curve. Still, that's no reason to dismiss console technology out of hand. For those first two months, it's really quite advanced...

~~
    Ignie Ferroque,
    Ash.

[This message has been edited by G`Kar (edited 07-10-2000).]

The main flaw with the PS2 (apart from console lack of upgradeability) was that the actual engine it ran with was a BI+CH for programmers to use. Sure it can do pretty graphics, but gameplay wise, without SEVERE trouble for the programming team, all it could do was Move pretty graphic here and there, with very few other options available. So, if you want another Resident Evil - fine! Final Fantasy - Fine! Any game with at all decent AI... uh-oh... Hence, for those gamers who think (especially RPG & point'n'click fans like myself), those few months won't even exist.

I expect to be corrected.

Sven

Of sourse I know what I'm talking about. The PC is currently already more powerful than the upcoming Nintendo GameCube (awful name) AND the PSX2, and by the time the X-Box [which is, by the way powered ENTIRELY by PC technology] comes out, the PC'll be even better than that.

If you disagree, think for a moment:
    DirectX technologies: designed for the PC
    Intel Processor: designed for the PC
    Hard-Disk Drive: designed for the PC
    n-Vidia 3D card: designed for the PC
    3D Soundcard: designed for the PC
    DVD-ROM: designed for the PC
    Broadband/Modem/Ethernet ability: all designed for the PC

And the specs of these individual pieces of hardware (and the others) are equalled or exceeded by the average new PC today. Also, suggested reading is the article on the PC's future in PCG 87 (October 2000).

iMP
    Always right, seldom wrong.

And I agree with Sven. But FFVII was great, although in many ways the PC version was better than the PSX one.

iMP

Originally posted by Mahotée:
    He plays with his heavy weaponry

so many thing I could say about that comment...

Originally posted by The-Rev:
    so many thing I could say about that comment...

Go on then, say them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

No-one has told me what CTYI stands for yet.

And lads, anyone who's anyone knows that the PC is the gamers choice, Anything else is just pants.

biggrin.gif

Luc

Oh my GOD wink.gif

So much to say... smile.gif

Im not going to get involved with the PC/Consoles argument again, ive discussed it several million times before... The PC is good for multiplayer games and dynamic games. The console is better for some styles though, such as 3rd person RPGs. And Final Fantasy VII was the best game ever. Dont argue with this. I mean it.

Half-Life was a really good game. Ive already said that. Yes, Ashvin, you are the only person in the world who plays standard multiplayer half-life, how can you say counter-strike is anything like pure DM? Its team-based, its realistic, there are so many differences! No automatic respawn. Everything about how the game is played is different.

Doom clones can be good or bad. It depends on the quality. No one can deny Doom was a good game. The thing about Doom was that it wasnt as linear as half-life or other such games. The levels were puzzling, far better thought out than any quake levels. Searching for red key cards was fun, goddammit. Theres a new doom style game which i cant remember the name of coming out, but it is immediately reminding of doom... down to the power-ups. The most doom-esque thing about it though, is something a lot of later games lost in their search for superior AI... the AI is dead simple... enemy sees you, enemy attacks you, but the cool thing is you can have hundreds of enemies attacking you at once... smile.gif It reminds me sooo much of Doom 2.

iD is remaking Doom. Yay. No question mark. If they do a good job of it, itll be fu<king cool.

Thief, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex dont defy categorisation - they are First Person RPGs. They are all incredible though, agreed. Theyre not as linear as average FPSs and they involve character development and storyline. Deus Ex multiplayer? Sounds like fun, but again, only if its done right. And FYI Ashvin, the 'killer' engine of Deus Ex is based on Unreals engine. But im sure you knew that. Real physics in a dynamic world? All these games have real physics engines now. Check Tribes out, for instance. Tribes 2 will be cool, cos itll have the real physics engines without all the bugs which allow heavy skiing and the like, which kinda ruin Tribes 1.

iD have not lost their touch. They have good days and bad days. I hated Quake 1. I finished Q2 single player when it was first released, and i have to say i enjoyed it. And i played multi-player for years. It was really good fun. Q3 is also damn good. Its not realistic or anything, but its fast and its fun. Keep playing UT, Ashvin, and you'll find that the novelty does wear off. I played it for ages and yes, it was brilliant for a long time, but Q3 has a more solid gameplay basis. And its nicer graphically, so i dont know where you got that from...

Im so tempted to start on the consoles argument, but i wont. FF7 rocks. Defnitely better than FF8. The X-Box looks decent. The PSX2 is also decent. However, there is one thing which is guaranteed to make or break any console marketed - the third-party support. Thats where PlayStation beat Saturn. That is where the main competition lies, not in the hardware, which ultimately will be quite similar for consoles produced in the same time period.

And CTYI stands for the Centre of Talented Youth in Ireland. Im serious. The official website is www.dcu.ie/ctyi/ but that wont tell you anything about it. To know about what it really is, talk to anyone here on this board in person.

A

Originally posted by Asuka:
    iD is remaking Doom. Yay. No question mark. If they do a good job of it, itll be fu<king cool.
    Don't you mean iD is making Doom III? And the early screenshots of Return to Castle Wolfenstein look great.

[Quake III is] nicer graphically
    Yeah, but Raven beat iD at their own game with Voyager: Elite Force.

BTW, anyone here up for a game of Counterstrike??

iMP

[This message has been edited by imp (edited 03-10-2000).]

• Advertisement

Yes, Doom 3 is what i meant.

I havent played V:EF so i wont comment. Thats wasnt my argument.

Cant play CounterStrike at the moment, ill tell you when its back up and running on my puter.

A

Advertisement