Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where the hell did all you people come from?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But that's exactly what just about every other computer system is becoming: a PC. The DreamCast runs Win CE, X-Box uses DirectX, Apple Macintosh are partly owned by Microsoft and MacOS is slowly becoming closer to that which was originally imitating it - Windows. There's some very good articles and letters on it which I'd be happy to post whenever I have the time. But answer me this: can you name ANY current computer system (including X-Box) which hasn't taken some form of inspiration from the PC? In the early days (i.e. the late-eighties to early-nineties) when Windows 1.0 was launched it was just this: MacOS on PCs. But even by Windows 3.1/11 MacOS was being overtaken. Then it was overtaken. Then it came back by adding a few Windows-esque features. The only reason the Mac is still around (be honest, right now it is quite inferior*) is because it holds the design industry together. Even PC Magazines are made on Macs. PCs can do all that but all the designers are trained for Macs and really couldn't be arsed learning a new system**. Consoles nowadays: they are based on PC technology. OK a new programming language for each maybe but they all run on PC hardware with minor modifications***. Can you see where this is going: the PC is better. The reason why the console market is still alive is because many people love the simplicity**** of they're "Ready-To-Use" style (since when could you buy a PC, with a free game that ran off the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, with no registration, or awkward cables to plug in the back or damn Windows setting up or crashes?) and also the familiarity (Consoles worked before, why shouldn't I get this one too, and not a PC?*****). Also the expense of a full PC system, seen as it comes with so many things you'll never use (NetMeeting, anyone??).

These are my points. The other are non-rememberable at the moment. Check back when I've had some sleep.

iMP }:>

*I've nothing against Mac owners, one of our computers is an iMac.
    **I've nothing against designers, my mother is one. Although....
    ***Usually.
    ****Yes, simplicity. If it all works as it frequently seems to.
    *****No, I'm not like that as regards PCs. I do give consoles a chance and play them before passing judgement. Except X-Box. Dammit, I should'nt have said that...[dies]

[This message has not been edited in any way by imp 10-01-01]

I would like to point out that there is more to the computer history world than the PC and Mac. That's right, there were Amstrads (let us all laugh), Atari's (aw... poor Atari) and, of course, the Amiga. 32bit when the rest were a maximum of 16 (with the exception of a REALLY expensive Mac). It was possible to get harddisks and modems (it practically started the internet revolution in England). It was also more popular than the Macintosh and drew with the PC (PCs for offices, Amigas for home users). Then piracy became rampant and developers left the Amiga. Then, people soon followed as there was no future in a softwareless computer. Except in Europe (especially Germany) where it still stood proud. Then it was bought by Escom, who sold PCs and made some DREADFULL errors with the machine and its marketing and then liquidated, with the Amiga being bought by Gateway, who are currently trying to bring it up to speed with the industry in general, before launching a mass marketing scam... um... programme.

So, two lessons: Piracy bad;
    Amiga good.

Sven

(Buy it, it means girlfriend)

I agree with Sven here (thank you Sven, fo not ridiculing my points). The Amiga was and is great. And, yes, just about everything he said about it there was true (except the part about it getting girlfriends (??)). I had an Amstrad in the late eighties. I was able to use it back then. When I was four. But I didn't really use it 'cos none of the games worked so I got disinterested in computers for a coupla years 'til we got our 386! And then a 486*! And then a P166! And then we gave the Amstrad to our cousins who thought it was brilliant. And then we got our new PC, the day before I left for CTYI!

Anyway, enough about my computer history

*BTW, we had several 486s but they each lasted so short a time** that they're not really worth counting
    **I experimented. ***
    ***Well, sometimes I was just stupid. ****
    ****Like that time last year when I did something REALLY stupid to the P166, I was nauseous, tired and on antibiotics but its still too bad to print here. *****
    ***** i.e.: Sven, if I did tell you what it was, you are NOT TELLING THEM OR I SHALL TELL THEM YOUR BIG SECRET. ******
    ******Yes, I know THE BIG SECRET

Very true iMP, but note that a lot of PCs are also becoming more like consoles - there are purely games-based system which have top-of-the-range games equipment, and very little else. I acknowledge the fact that consoles are becoming more like PCs, but its working the other way as well, although maybe not as obviously.

A

Okay, I will agree that this is a two-way thing, and indeed PCs are becoming like consoles aswell. I suppose its all just evolution, and maybe I should stop complaining, then*.

On to gravity then....

iMP
    *I haven't lost the argument, I'm just not being a sore winner

• Advertisement

Amiga is the Spanish word for "friend", only the feminine. Hence, it means "girl friend".

Right, the sad fact is that when PCs were starting off, they were almost entirely for office use. They were rubbish at games and such. The best were midway options (eg. Amiga).

Then, people began to take their PCs home (at the start of that "home office" revolution). Then the kids started messing with the computers, looking for games. Then the companies began to realise that there was a large market out there and that's when the "gaming revolution" started.

So yes, PCs are becoming more games orientated, but they are still, at heart, systems for office work or art design, etc.

So, the argument is still open. I'm just giving those that are lost a chance to catch up.

Sven

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lordsippa:
    The best were midway options (eg. Amiga).
    </font>

eg Amstrad CPC in my opinion, but im not going to argue about that at this point.

A

OMG - this really must be the talented youths board if a thread about the origin of a group of ppl can turn into posts that are about 2 pages long...
    biggrin.gif

Although those threads usually involve someone or other going

'Well, you see, in the beginning there was this sort of primal ooze...'

biggrin.gif

A

Actually, I think if you link religion with theoretical physics, you'll find that in the beginning there was the word, which caused matter, which condensed and which then later exploded in the "Big Bang" (said as Dr. Evil says "Time Machine").

Hence, we came from that. Untill I have had time to think of a better origin!

RIGHT!?

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lordsippa:
    ...in the beginning there was the word ...
    Hence, we came from that.
    </font>

Are we to believe that the entire universe spawned from a single word?? What language was this word in? What was the meaning of it?

C++, of course.

biggrin.gif

A

Ah, but C++ isn't so much a word as it is a letter and a symbol repeated twice in succession. Ha.

Actually, the word was not in fact "C++", nor was it in C++, Assembly (well... maybe), or any other programing language!
    It was in fact "Hey You!"

And that's that!

Anyone care to argue?

No it wasn't. "Hey you" is two words you neanderthal.

Hey Adam, what the fuc|< is "Planetarion: The New Dawn"??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imp:
    "Hey you" is two words you neanderthal</font>

"Two words - nuclear fu(king weapons" - The ******* Song

Advertisement