Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurk

Options
  • 02-06-2001 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does it bother anybody else that there is most probably a ton of lurkers here in our beautiful little home (beautiful apart from the rats, that is). Don't you prefer knowing who you're talking to? I can't help but feel that over the past one, two, three, four... nine months, that I've probably made a fool of myself and said some incredibly embarassing things on these boards due to my not knowing who'd be reading them.

Well then, here's just a little excercise. If you know of a lurker, please post his/her name on this thread, so that they might be named and shamed and the likes. Also if you know what makes them tick please tell me as I am really quite baffled as to why they don't talk to me [sob].

And, if you are a lurker, what the hell is up?!? Have your fingers fallen off and that is why you don't type messages for us? If they have fallen off, was it because you used them too much to... uh... I won't go there. But please, just post *ONE* message here, to let us know who you are and why you do it. PLEEEEEEEASE!!! Then I'll let you get back to your lurkiness, or stay with us, whichever pleases you.

Absolutely nobody is going to reply to this, are they?

}:>

That is me. iMP. Ian PM Mulholland. So Ni.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe the lurkers, if they still exist (i know there used to be a couple), have nothing to say about the posts people write here... theyre generally not what you would call gripping stuff...

Funny enough.

A

Hi.

My names Sven and I have a problem...

I lurk.

<applause>

It all began when I ran over the neighbours snake with my lawn mower and then cooked it (so as nothing went to waste). I wanted to tell people about my eventful day, but I was just too ashamed on my squeaky keyboard... I began to lurk...

From then on things just got worse and worse - I was spiraling down a path of lurking, paranoia and substance abuse! I won the lotto, but didn't post it as I thought everyone would be out to get my money! I couldn't bring myself to look at the "post reply" option , let alone the "New Topic"!

But all that came to an end the day I met Bill. He helped me through it all. He was the best friend I could ever have imagined. Then he took me to meet his other friends and they told me they had this kind of "Guardian" that looked over them. He was some guy who sent out good vibes to his followers from his magic room in his house in Texas!

Anyway, cut a long story short - I joined the cult got a nifty robe, abandoned my family and lived happily. Until the other members tried to group rape me and I left. Now I have nothing. NOTHING!

Thank you.

wow, i didnt even know that this part of boards.ie existed...
    i just found it 10 minutes ago.
    its terribly interesting.
    why isnt this all in the other part?
    why is it all so hidden and secret?
    i dont understand
    and whats this board meant to be about anyway?
    thats all

we're a crowd of weird freaks that for some strange reason know each other and want to talk to each other and asuka thought this place was a good way to keep in contact-well thats the logical making sense answer but im sure if you ask iMP or Lordsippa person they will give you a much more interesting answer possibly invovling whips, baby oil and flashing lights.

i suppose that sounds reasonable
    but whats the CYTA
    or CTYA
    or whatever it is...
    what is it?
    some mad school?
    do you pay lots of cash to go there?

• Advertisement

CTYI is the Irish Centre for Talented Youth which has somehow been abbrieviated to CTYI. It is a place where happy intelligent people go over the summer (or sometimes at weekends). We do interesting fun courses, but during our social time we rub baby oil on one another, and if the people involved are such inclined, use whips on one another. Flashing lights are an excellent way of keeping ourselves occupied while bored.

iMP }:>

my story,like that of the lurker before me,lordsippa,is one of tragedy.

it all started when i received my first string instrument,a viola,an event i didn't realise at the time would send me down the road of lurkdom.
    i really enjoyed playing the viola,too much,for it sprouted in me an intense greed for more string instruments,a greed that will never be truly quenched from my soul.
    before i knew it,i was requesting a guitar for my birthday,and later a cello,both with harder,thicker,more dangerous strings.
    i attended counselling and SIA(string instrumentalists anonamous) meetings,but neither helped,i just went home from the sessions and played till my fingers bled.
    sometimes they bled so much i couldn't even hold a knife and fork to eat my dinner,let alone touch a keyboard to type a message.

i know there is no excuse for lurking,but there are explanations,and this is mine.

i hang my head in shame.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imp:
    CTYI is the Irish Centre for Talented Youth which has somehow been abbrieviated to CTYI.
    </font>

I'm "talented"!

<snigger>

centre for talented youth in ireland actually,hence the CTYI abbreviation

But when I say that a thousand people jump down my throat.

}:>

• Advertisement

I feel the sudden urge to confess my tragic tale of lurking and stalking.
    It all begins one dark and dreary day in the deep depths of the Irish summer. It was a Tuesday (a good day to die, by the way). The sun was splitting the stones (in Florida, not Ireland).
    I was hiding, well lurking if you must know, behind a large inanimate object, I'll not be more specific. So anyway, this large inanimate object turned out to be a box containing a unicycle....

ARGH!

I can't continue, it's too painful....

ARGH!!!!!
    clickclickclickclickclickclick
    clickclick

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by insanebadgergirljess:
    centre for talented youth in ireland actually,hence the CTYI abbreviation</font>

I'm sorry. It pains me to do it, but I must back up what Ian said. It is in fact "The Irish Centre For Talented Youth". I'm guessing it's abreviated the way it is so that foreigners (Americans) didn't start asking "What's the ICTY" which doesn't spring "CTY" to mind (it's one of things where if you add a letter to the end it is still recognisable whereas to the beginning it becomes something else completely)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lordsippa:

I'm sorry. It pains me to do it, but I must back up what Ian said. It is in fact "The Irish Centre For Talented Youth". I'm guessing it's abreviated the way it is so that foreigners (Americans) didn't start asking "What's the ICTY" which doesn't spring "CTY" to mind (it's one of things where if you add a letter to the end it is still recognisable whereas to the beginning it becomes something else completely)
    </font>
    I'm sorry. It pains me to do it, but I must back up what anyone who reads this is thinking - IT DOESNT MATTER!

A

No it doesn't matter but it is actually Center for talented youth, Ireland. the one in america (i am fully aware there is more than one)
    i presume is called ctya therefore jess was actually right.hahahahaha.
    shEp biggrin.gif

nope,as far as i know the american one(where the streets are paved with gold,i hear)is called CTY but this is a very very very very stupid argument and stuff so lets move on to the more pressing matters of this day and age:what makes the best sandwich(or sangwich or samidge) filling??
    i fink nuttella and cornflakes or turkey and cranberry sauce

Enough pointlessness and off-topicness!

A

Advertisement