Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 2's DVD

Options
  • 17-04-2001 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

How come everyone thinks that the PS2's DVD is crap does it play films with great quality?Yes!So whats the problem?It's a great console with great potential to duplicate the sucess of Playstation One

Vega

Big Up To Da Refugee Camp!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

why did you have to create a new topic to express your opnion?
    why not refare back to your other topic about the "GayCube" while someone else was already talking about DVD with PS2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How come everyone thinks that the PS2's DVD is crap does it play films with great quality?</font>

No, it doesn't. The playback is very sub-standard compared to even low end (150-quid ish) players, and the list of incompatabilities grows day by day... Never mind the failure to provide RGB output, which is a very serious oversight in a "serious" piece of AV kit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yes - DVD playback on a PS2 is pretty poor, but I do think it's a nice wee console (I love the Starwars spaceship shooty shooty game and Z.O.E.)

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

well the PS2 is a gaming console, it was designed and built for games, so I wouldn't expect to have really good quility DVD on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

My tuppence worth, most DVD's play fine on mine but some people have had serious problems with the initial batch. I really think the console is going to come into its own with GT3 and Metal Gear Sold 2 as its killer apps. Oh and although not ideal and only for about .1% of the population is a quick 2 minute solder job and voila lovely RGB can be yours.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but given the failure rate of the console, do you REALLY want to invalidate your warranty like that?

About 1 in 10 of them failed within the first 3 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Should have expected it really , europe should be used to be shafted as per release dates , game speeds , and machine problems.

The original jap machine 10000 series is pretty much the safest and most reliable so far and it'll probably only get worse.

Onimusha has been censored ( and god knows why , its not like it was gory or anything ) stupid sh*t like this will only make more ppl annoyed.

Ah well..........

In my experience the failure rate is not as serious as most people think. I and a *lot* of my mates have ps2's and sure two of them had to replace them due to DVD playback but Sony authorised their replacement in store straight away. Not ideal obviously but I just think from my experience not as many people had problems as people think.

On the warranty issue I can see your point but I am an adult and my ps2 is now all the better for all the soldering that has been done to it ;-) If you know what your doing the risk is zero really.

Anyway go buy one, GT3 import is out on Apr 26th!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">GT3 import is out on Apr 26th!</font>

And you're going to play this HOW, exactly?

Given that there's no chip for the PAL PS2 yet, apart from the one that lets you disc-swap to play gold discs of imports.... Which isn't much good for games like GT3 which come on DVD smile.gif

Well I have pre-ordered the import version of gt3 which is out apr 26th. When I get it I will put it in my chipped jap ps2 and then play it;-) Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Aha, same as myself then, you have a Jap unit.

I know so many people who've imported games for their PAL unit on the basis that "there'll be a chip soon"... and er, oddly enough, there's no chip...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Not quite true , i've used a machine with a neo2 chip in it , it played armored core 2 jap version on a burned CD , basically because the game wasn't even over the size of a DVD but given time they'll have some form of useful chip out there.

That said , i am getting a little tired of ppl who automatically think they deserve a chip to play copies and what not.
    Its bloody hilarious when you tell 'em there isn't one to look at the bewildered expression.

Advertisement