Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcycle insurance

Options
  • 22-05-2001 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I'm renewing my insurance for the second time (making this my third year) - small moped (don't laugh, ba$tards wink.gif ), yamaha CW-RSV 50cc (49really..). I'm 18 since last september... and my premium is £265.53 eek.gifeek.gif

Its dropped a whole 47p since the first time I got insured. Surely there's something wrong here? frown.gif

- Munch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Lucky it dropped at all.
    Major drops are over 23s, over 30s, over 40s and when you get a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

265 is good
    i doubt thats fully comp but still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Neil, £265 is the normal premium for a scooter - unless you're in Dublin where they'll add another few quid on.

- Munch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I am in Dublin and believe me they do add a few quid on. if not a few hundred quid.

but is 265 fully comp or 3rd party fire n theft or wha?

Third party + Fire and theft, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well Stephen my bike insurance is £434.65 squids and i am 30 and its only a 100cc Suzuki jobbie, so don't feel so bad. The words daylight and robbery come to my mind. I used to cycle to work for years but now i'm fat and lazy and couldnt be arsed, so i'm on a provisional drivers license, maybe that why the premium is so high. smile.gif

Robbery indeed. I think for someone 18/19 years of age it costs about £900/£1000 to insure a knackered old 100cc Yamaha RXS.

- Munch

I got a VL125 last summer and fully comp costs me £795. I'm 20 and live in cork.. it was either this or pay about 20 grand for insurance on a 1 litre fiesta smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    Robbery indeed. I think for someone 18/19 years of age it costs about £900/£1000 to insure a knackered old 100cc Yamaha RXS.

</font>

I'm paying £500 for third party on an XV125, full licence though.
    Take the test, it's damn easy, *everyone* passes first time, you've
    no excuse :)

Edit: 19 year old & not in dublin :)

[This message has been edited by dogs (edited 08-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

I'm paying £500 for third party on an XV125, full licence though.
    Take the test, it's damn easy, *everyone* passes first time, you've
    no excuse smile.gif

Edit: 19 year old & not in dublin smile.gif

[This message has been edited by dogs (edited 08-06-2001).][/B]</font>

About the test, I got all the forms but whats the story with applying? You apply for a category A1 test right? then when (if) u pass it u get a category A licence? (for over 125cc I mean). Just a bit confused on that issue

Me has plans to *upgrade* somewhat to a 1500cc smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rymus:
    You apply for a category A1 test right? then when (if) u pass it u get a category A licence?
    </font>
    Nope, if you have a provisional A1 licence and take the test, you get a full A1 licence -- same restrictions as an A1 licence (except you're not a learner anymore). If you're over 18 there's no point in touching A1 anyway (afaics?), go straight for the A licence. Test is the same.

1500cc bike is pretty big to be restricted to 25kW output :) doable of course, just not exactly sure why you'd want to. You'll be restricted to 25kW (about 33bhp) for 2 years *after* you get your full A licence.

HTH.

Stop your whinning, I got an NSR125cc and live in a fairly quiet place and my insurance is £1800, frown.gif so justbe grateful!!!

sssssssshhhhhhhhhh some people smile.gif!

I have an xv 125 living in dublin 19 with 1 years no claims and it's costin me 1800!!!!

27, Provisional, Suzuki TS100, Galway, 3rd Party F&T, 1 years no claims, £230.

Why are you people paying so much?

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.
    Mail: jaden@eircom.net

Are you using Carole Nash, Jaden?

I'm with Carole Nash. £480 3rd party on a 125cc. I'm old.

I'm with Hibernian. They used to to Norwich.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.
    Mail: jaden@eircom.net

Every 1 stop there moanin, It £1100 4 a 16 year old on a 49.9cc moped fully comp and £640 3rd party

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    I'm renewing my insurance for the second time (making this my third year) - small moped (don't laugh, ba$tards wink.gif ), yamaha CW-RSV 50cc (49really..). I'm 18 since last september... and my premium is £265.53 eek.gifeek.gif

Its dropped a whole 47p since the first time I got insured. Surely there's something wrong here? frown.gif

</font>

Ring them up and complaine!! they will give you a cheaper price, My mate rang up and got it cheaper

Advertisement