Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike Insurance

Options
  • 06-09-2001 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, i was looking for this already, but can you give me the name or website or even phone no. of the company doing motorbike insurance in ireland. I thought it was hiberian but they have no mention of it on their site. And mmm carl nash closed didn't it?

Anyway any help is apricated. i just can't think who it is.

Gideon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,
    There were two companies doing bike ins. in ireland up untill Carole Nash ripped us all off, now you need to go to Norwich Union.
    What bike are you looking at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Honda NSR 125cc 89

Someone in the same area same ages etc as me got a quote of £1800 a while back, its probally gone up now but i'm hoppin it won't be that expesive for me.

Got £1000 saved towards it.

Kinda need the bike as well now for gettin to and from college.

Gideon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ninja_Duck

From breaking news on www.msa-ireland.com

REDUCED INSURANCE PREMIUMS FOR MOTORCYCLISTS.

In an move certain to be widely welcomed throughout Irish motorcycling, insurance brokers AON and their underwriters AXA will shortly be unveiling a range of premium discounts for motorcyclists who undertake, and pass, appropriate courses of training with their approved instructors.

This scheme has been developed in response to widespread concern within the motorcycle world at the disastrous effect premium levels have had in recent years. Overall bike sales are down almost 30% and around twenty bikeshops have had to close. Young riders in particular are increasingly finding that premiums are unaffordable.

National rider training organisations and the Garda Síochána have been instrumental in helping to put together the syllabus and specifications for these courses. The entry-level basic course will be for those with little or no previous on-road experience. This course will aim to bring new riders to a standard where they can ride safely, on their own, in all normal conditions, without compromising their safety or that of others. Beyond that there will be an Intermediate course for the more experienced. It is expected that the discounts will be structured in such a way as to encourage motorcyclists to continue to develop their skills and proficiency. Discounts will also be available to those who pass the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents Advanced Course.

Until now, even though many riders have undergone proper training with recognised instructors no discounts have been available except for who have taken an Advanced test. These riders, numbering less that 250 in all, represent the lowest risk category.

Last year, in response to pressure from Hibernian and their threat to withdraw from the market if the Government did not act, the Department of Transport began to consider implementing Compulsory Basic Training for motorcyclists as is almost universal throughout Europe. Their plans are known to be proceeding slowly and it is now admitted that the necessary legislation could not be in place until February or March of 2006. As yet no budget provision has been made.

Hibernian Insurance announced two weeks ago, as reported in Irish Times Motors, have introduced a similar scheme for young car drivers. It is believed that they are also considering a similar scheme for motorcyclists.

It is understood that the basic course required to qualify for discounts, whilst broadly similar to that likely to become compulsory in the Department of Transport¹s plans, is expected to be of a higher standard. Only those instructors approved by AXA will be able to certify that the motorcyclist has achieved the required standard.

Advertisement