Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abadonware.

Options
  • 21-04-2001 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I was wondering whether abadonware is acceptable, by the boards.ie rules. I don't agree with warez, but abadonware is often the only feasable way to get an old(at least 4 years) game.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's ok by me. Shinji, your thoughts?

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i think it's ok.

- Ciaran
    smoke-me-a-kipper
    S-M-A-K bottom!!™

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its OK by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Abandon were is good, some classic games out there. More modern ones of course take to long to download (the phone connection costs more than the game is worth).

I usually go to www.theunderdogs.org who have a vast selection and regular updates and links to other legit abandon ware sites wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

That site underdogs do occassionally take down games that someone says there is copyright on but set up a reseller deal on those same games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

I find this a good place also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

is duke nukem 3d abandonware yet?
    Or any of the doom's?

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

cool!!! biggrin.gif
    i can finally download civ biggrin.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Technically no PC games are abandonware - Duke3d, DOOM et al are still sold commercially.

SNES ROMs and so on can be considered to be abandonware because nobody sells 'em any more.

I don't mind discussing genuine abandonware here, but anyone caught trying to stretch the definition to cover games that are just "old" (but still being sold on budget or whatever) will be taken out and shot smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yeah but doom and quake are open source right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The code for them is open source; the actual content (maps, weapons, graphics, sounds) is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Abandonwarez is in no way legal. The images, characters and names within those games and sometimes zealously copyrighted and you will have your ass sued off you if spread them around. For example duke nukem is not Abandonwarez even though its ancient.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up smile.gif

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Now, hold on, I've seen Duke Nukem on plenty of abadonware sites. Also doom is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

abandon warez are programs with companies no longer market/sell as they consider them no longer to be able to make a profit ... most are yonks old ... but still classics.

afaik there has never been any legal probs with abandon warez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Legality isn't the only thing to consider. Like I said, abadonware is often the only way to get Vintage classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Khan:
    afaik there has never been any legal probs with abandon warez</font>

Actually underdogs had a few problems some months back. IDSA gave them a long list of companies that no longer existed but because they signed into some special license or some such thier software can never be classed as Abandonware and they would sue the panties off underdogs if they caught them giving them out.

It's a shame really because as mentioned some of these games really don't exist anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    Now, hold on, I've seen Duke Nukem on plenty of abadonware sites. Also doom is.

</font>

Not sure about Duke, but Doom is open sourced, so it's free to give around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Now, hold on, I've seen Duke Nukem on plenty of abadonware sites. Also doom is.</font>

This means nothing.

Abandonware (as people have already pointed out) is simply software that you can't buy any more, and as such, is a very tricky legal situation (like emulators). In many of the cases, the publisher of the game has gone out of business. However, someone somewhere still holds the copyright for the game - it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to produce and sell the game. If they don't.. well, thats where the trickiness comes in.

I remember a couple of years ago, the IDSA started clamping down on abandonware and emulator sites. From their site http://www.idsa.com/
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Isn't it OK to copy games that are no longer distributed in the stores or commercially exploited?

No, the current availability of a game in stores is irrelevant to its copyright status. Unlike trademarks, copyrights are not considered abandoned if they are no longer enforced. Copyrights do not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available. Therefore, the copyrights of games are valid even if the games are not found on store shelves, and copying or distributing those games is a copyright infringement. </font>

ok, so any idea where i can get it?

I've also been looking in the shops but no-where seems to have it frown.gif

HIT IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The way I see it, if the official license agreeement says that it's now ok to distribute the full game then it's abandonware.

Just because a developer has released source code for a game doesn't mean the game can be ditributed. This is normally done so fans can create mods. CS is one such mod developed from the source code of Half-life but half-life is still copyrighted and illegal to distribute.

So official abandonware only kids wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

Advertisement