Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming history and view

Options
  • 25-04-2001 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Ok i'm doing a project on the european gaming community so i need some info from u guys the gamers.

1.: where is a site with the history of games for the P.C and consoles (i need 2 different histories for each of them.)

2. what u think the european games market and community is like??

3. what would u like to happen if some offical notice was made of the internet games etc.

4. what is the best part of gaming and why do u play? (corny)

5. wha is different between the p.c community and console community and how do thier games deffer.

6. what is important for a gamer

7. anyoe here willing to do a intwerview with me and be sent in text to the EU??

8. are we anti-social or is there our own community

9. anywhere where i can see european support of gamers (like team france or some german or irish gaming tourney??)

10. what is it like to play?

anyone anna answer at least 1 of them??

BK the KK
    Fraggen with a smile:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Before i start these are just my opinions and dont represent those of any larger group wink.gif

1. I think you'd be better off looking for the history of the consoles themselves. The history of a console relies on it's games, the better the games, the more famous the console, the more historic it will be. Usually major fan sites are your best source, try a search in google.com.

2. I think that the European market is farsical in a number of aspects.

-Games tend to be released here last, and there usually is a long delay between the US market and ours. Notable exceptions that i can think of are MSR on DC which was released here first and the GBA, which SHOULD be released here only 11 days after the american release.

-A lot of our games are just re-hashes of older versions (e.g. the FIFA series). There doesn't seem to be as much innovation over here than in the japanese market. Publishers seem scared to release innovative new games due to the risk of failure. Developers and publishers (EA) take the safe route. This can be partly attributed to the fact that we have grown up playing games that all seem the same which has brought us into a routine which doesnt really allow for originality. That being said, there are those of us that scream for more original games.

-The community, gamer to gamer, is seemingly one of the most diverse communities in the world. This is due to the increasingly large number of people that are becoming able to go on-line. Developers and publishers have noticed this. The success of on-line games such as quake 3, unreal tournament and tribes 1 and 2 are dependant on their community. A strong community doesnt necessarily mean a large community however. Duke Nukem still has an incredibly strong following, despite the fact that there hasn't been a PC release of a duke nukem game in years. Compare the size of this community to the size of the Half-life community for instance. Just because the HL community is bigger doesnt mean that they are more devoted, it's just that there are more people involved in it.

-Communities are made up of people with a common interest. For instance we have an irish gaming community. This can be divided into sub-groups like the quake following of the HL following etc. The boards here is a focus point for all these, with different boards devoted for different parts of the community.

3. I think there has. More and more games are being developed to have on-line aspects to them, most notably PC games. This is changing tho, and consoles are now realising the potential of the internet. PSO on the DC for example.

4. Personnally i love games. There's something about sitting back in your chair as you watch the final credits of a game that took you donkeys years to complete. I also play games as a means of escapism, same as i go to the cinema or go to the pub. I'd imagine this is what a lot of people play games for.

5. PC games tend to be more complex. This is due to the bigger playground developers have to work with. Consoles are made from set specifications that go out of date within a year. therefore what a developer can do with a console is limited to what the console itself can do. This difference reflects in the games. Compare games on PC to games on the PS at it's time of release and then compare them today and the difference is obvious.

Console communities are different from internet communities in that you have communities dedicated to consoles, or communities devoted to games, or usually a mixture of the two.

6. Gameplay and price. Price of both the games and consoles. They have to be affordable. £380 for a console just isn't on in my opinion.

7. No, dont see the point really.

8. We are our own community but a line has to be drawn between real-life and escapism. that's something everquest and ultima players dont seem to understand smile.gif

9. Any of the major online gaming site e.g. barrysworld usually have references to international tournaments.

10. I answered it in Q. 4.

All usual disclaimers apply biggrin.gif

<edit> Bah fe<kin ubb code </edit>

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

[This message has been edited by Q_Ball (edited 25-04-2001).]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Check out http://www.pong-story.com , the story of the first video game ever. Plus alot of info in there on consoles over the years.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hey tx guys i like uer comments if any1 else out there have anything which thye like to say about games in general feel free to announce it

Thx for the site

and Q-ball i'll use uer words there for my interview smile.gif

(sucker) (jk)

anyone else??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Actually I didn't really answer all your questions.

1. See above. Check out www.classicgaming.com if you want to experience the classic gaming experience.

2. PC. From an Irish perspective on PC it has been quite good. It's hard to speak for the whole of Europe but prices have been pretty reasonable for the PC player up to now and released not too late in most respects. There are some exceptions as always but despite all this it's worrying that alot of new games are now appearing to be alot more expensive. This seems always to be down to the game ditributors. In the case of Championship Manager, recommended to be sold for £20 by the collyer bros., the game creators, distributed at full price here. Same goes for Serious Sam. Black and White was ridiculously overpriced and suffered from the hype. I don't play console games but they seem incredibly overpiced, not that I understand the complexity of the market involved.

3. Not sure what you mean by official notice of the games. I think it would be great of online gaming was more widely known. Not a 5 minute 'a poodle that can dance' section on the news but positive recognition of the huge community involved and explanations on how easy it is to get involved.

4. When I started online gaming it was a novelty. Hop on a server with amazing lag and try to frag. It was an amazing experience but I think I would have left it all if it wasn't for the community I came into contact with as a result. That and the advancements in the actual experience, Quakeworld being the first really major step. That aside a love of computers and from there gaming is why I do it. I'm older than pac-man for crying out loud.

5. I know very little about consoles but I imagine the big difference is that they don't play online as much. Alot of PS fans I know don't even seem that bothered with the idea. Perhaps console players are happy to have 2 gamepads and play their mates in the living room. At the end of the day I think I am a PC man and not a console man because there are alot of things I want to do besides gaming. Programming, web design etc.

6. All a gamer wants is to be dragged kicking and screaming into a game and to be completely engulfed in the experience. All an online gamer wants is broadband access to the net.

7. No problem.

8. Gamers are not anti-social. Alot of gamers are much more vocal and outspoken online than in RL but speaking for myself I'm pretty similiar in both worlds and I have a very healthy social life outside of gaming. I imagine this would apply to 80% of gamers too. I admit it does affect it slightly from time to time but I see it as a good way of cutting down on my alcohol intake anyway which can't be a bad thing.

www.theoga.com is a site for European players to register, post .plans, organise comps. etc.
    www.barrysworld.com is an English gaming site that covers Europe.
    www.eurogamer.net is a european games site that reviews games and is associated with the oga.
    www.quake.ie is the home for quake in Ireland and unless you didn't know it was home of the original boards that eventually became boards.ie.
    http://www.challenge-ie.com/ is the Irish version of a worldwide game playing network but is primarily geared to quake only or perhaps counter strike now.
    http://clans.quake.ie/team3.ie/ is home of the Irish International Quake team.
    http://www11.ewebcity.com/utireland/ is the home of the Irish International UT team and one of my babies.

10. You could write a book about gaming and what it's like to play or at the very least an article. Maybe I will some day. For now I'll just say it'll make you angry, it'll make you happy and you know you're caught when you keep coming back for more.

[This message has been edited by musician (edited 27-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Thx MUs i got 2 irish gamers from the P.C and now i need some console owners to give views our at least some one not from Ireland smile.gif

PLEASE!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement