Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the PS2 really worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Blitzkrieger -
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">ummmm, no they're not. It looks like MS are designing the X-Box with double the PS2's spec. Double RAM, chip speed, etc.</font>

You can't compare specs like that. The two machines are based on fundamentally different architecture; at the end of the day, what it comes down to is that the graphical effects which you can create on the two consoles are roughly the same standard. Xbox has the edge from the looks of current figures, but not by much at all. So it all comes down to who develops what on which console...

Ping Chow Chi - the games industry does follow that model to a certain degree; for example, EA decided to back the PS2 only (and got VERY badly stung as a result) at a corporate level, not a developer level. However, a LOT of developers are still independent rather than publisher-owned, and even the massive publishers get the message very quickly when they see milestones being missed, feature-sets being pared down and buckets of cash being spent on developer training for PS2 projects. Xbox tech represents the Devil you know, and that makes sense even to the suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

ps2 is definetly worth it think of it this way....ur gettin a dvd player,a cd player,a ps1 and the current most powerful console in the world thats a bargain the games will definitly pick up anyway star wars starfighter is absolutely amazing i tell u the best graphics iv ever seen
    btw the prestige of having one at launch was an added extra although thats somewhat gone now frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StarScream:

btw the prestige of having one at launch was an added extra although thats somewhat gone now frown.gif
    </font>

indeed frown.gif

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

StarScream and Megatron agree on something ??? I dont remember this happing before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, I am getting a PS2 for one reason only, and that reason is *drum roll*......SILENT HILL 2!!!

Hopefully by the time it arrives here the PS2 will be cheap. Oh yeah, and ff7 is getting a remake on PS2, so there's another reason!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Digital Tilmitt

I hate the Ps2 and the xbox but i have to get a Ps2 because Final Fantasy X is coming out on it. Wherever Final Fantasy goes I must follow! I still haven't figured out how to pay for it, I might get a loan from Bank of Ireland.....

A remake of ff7? Are u sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, what I heard from CVG's Web Site. Supposedly doin some others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Digital Tilmitt:
    I hate... the xbox </font>

What games have you played on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Digital Tilmitt:
    I hate the Ps2 and the xbox but i have to get a Ps2 because Final Fantasy X is coming out on it. Wherever Final Fantasy goes I must follow! I still haven't figured out how to pay for it, I might get a loan from Bank of Ireland..... </font>

Ah Seán yeh eejit... how can you hate it if you've no idea what it's like or have never used it?

I wouldn't recommend you buy a PS2, expecially considering you guys just got a new PC ... the Final Fantasies will come out on the PC platform also, albeit a good bit *after* the Playstation...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Ah, but I think they are re-hashing FF7 for the ps2. This is unlikely to come to the PC.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭TheWarden

Ah just get a PSX emulator for your PC and then rent out PSX games...

[and then Shinji snips that bit, dum de dum...]

..keeps me entertained... ISS Pro Evolution on my PC.... nice.

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 25-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

But only if you already have a playstation, and the games, isn't that right?

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭TheWarden

[la la la, we're not listening...]

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 25-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Question: Is the PS2 really worth it?
    Answer: No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

PS2....hmm, & in a few months PS3. Then what. It will probably be overtaken by the X-box, to be overtaken by the game cube. Whenever you descide to buy a console, it comes down to the same choice - fork out for a soon to be redundant machine, or wait god knows how long for the next overhyped release & end up missing out on your favorite game. I say - ******** to it. Rob a bank & buy yourself a PC, Deux Ex, Black & White, a months supply of Pot Noodles & never leave your house again HAHAHAHAHA.

Its not that I think the xbox is bad its just that I hate Microsoft because they are evil Monopolists and are in the way of my Communist Conquest.

Its not that I hate the Xbox its just that I hate Microsoft because they are evil Monopolists who stand in the way of my Communist Conquest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus:
    PS2....hmm, & in a few months PS3.</font>
    *cough* idiot *cough*

I can't wait for the PC realise of ffX I have to have it first. (sorry for double posting)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

I think the point Bob was making, Whitelancer u moose,
    Is that there will most likely be a new console released hot on the heals of the PS2, thus making it obsolete.
    From what I hear they wont hang around too long to bring out the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Might be a bit incorrect here , probably should go back and check it, but word was when square finally talked about ffX that it was to be playstation 2 only which sorta sparked off the talk of the sales of ps2's going thru the roof in japan come july 18th.

....goes off to try and find link to press conference thingy...

Advertisement