Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best games mag ever?

Options
  • 03-05-2001 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

for me it would be future publishing's N64 magazine it was really cool
    btw it would be funny to see if anyone mentions an official magazine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

One of my favourite mags was the multi-format Ultimate Future Games a few years ago; also obviously Super Play (although I have to say, I never liked Total much).
    I genuinely liked the first couple of years of the Official Playstation Magazine (not impressed with it at all at the moment though) and the Official Dreamcast Magazine is nice.

Did anyone read Future Gamer (email mag written by Future, merged with Daily Radar)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

yeah, i got future gamer. i really liked it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vialli

I think gamesmaters is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Superplay and Amiga Power were my favourites.
    I still have the very first issue of Superplay actually, I wonder if it's worth anything?

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It has to be Amiga Power - the funniest games mag ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

yeah Amiga Power was l33t :-)
    Amiga Format wasn't too bad either ...

just have to say PC Zone as Shinji really dislikes it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Super Play, by miles. Nobody has ever dared to be as brazen as them; nowadays when a publisher throws a mickey fit at a magazine and refuses to send them product any more, they lie down and take it. When a publisher did that with Super Play, the following month would have a full page article dedicated to "Why we won't be reviewing any more games from -publisher-", which summarised why this publisher was a bunch of c*nts. Quality... And given Super Play's market share, the publishers always came crawling back soon enough anyway smile.gif

Of course, G4 Ireland and CTW were/are also fantastic! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

ah ZZap!64. Long live Lloyd...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Personally I loved the old mean machines, before they split. Mean Yob kicked a$$. But that was the only one I was allowed buy ("You can only have one computer magazine, now which is it?") so my opinion in limited. Now id have to say PC Gamer is the best.

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm very sorry to say it, as I supported it faithfully, but G4, like The Player before it, did suck donkey balls frown.gif Also, the Irish OPSM is a pathetic excuse for a rag - it seems that Irish gaming journalism is doomed to the depths of trouser.

• Advertisement

G4 had its problems, I fully admit - I would have loved to be in a position to do more timely reviews and news, and to be able to do a lot more stuff with the mag and the brand... But it's bloody hard to do when all your staff are freelance (myself and Ben did a pretty hefty chunk of the mag between us, Ian was the editor but also had other commitments, the other freelancers were strapped for time...) and you're met with constant resistance and bloodymindedness from PR people and advertisers alike.

It was a labour of love while it lasted, and maybe someday it'll be ressurected and we'll be able to make a proper go of it.

I agree with your comments about OPSM Ireland though, it's a f*cking joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

i would have to say PC Gamer is my favourite.

smile.gif

Mikill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Ahh i remember it well the day shinji was on the den promoting G4...talkin to dustin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

omg cool! i dont remember that, and i never missed the den... ever.... and hey i bought every issue of G4 while i could, then my local newsagent stopped stocking it, yep got all 3 of 'em. actually i have a major complaint to make now that i have the chance- in issue 2 ye reviewed the holy triad of games that is metal gear solid, zelda ocarina of time and half life. MGS and zelda got 100% and big huge features, while half life got a measly 90% and a small article near the back?? what a wonderful oppurtunity to have the best of the 3 major formats of the time featured all at once, and ye spurned it. i demand an explanation or my £1.50 back!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

PCGamer is very expensive, but I can honestly say from experience (not neccessarily my own u understand biggrin.gif ) that if you are wondering just how good a game is, check their reviews, if its sh|te, they'll say so. If its good....well just look at how much Halflife as a singleplayer game is mentioned...
    Honest tough reviews and funny.
    Was funnier before, really ripped the p1ss out of bad games but the editor has changed a few times recently.......
    The Amiga mags were good to...CU and Format were my favourites.
    Amiga600 if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I quite like PC Gamer, but it costs more than £9 for the fooking DVD version. Its insane. I don't buy it any more because of the silly price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Nintendo Official Magazine RULES!!!!!!! my **** :P. It did actually start out well, but from issue 64 it went down, slowly at first, then it sunk to rock bottom.
    PC gamer is my choice, or total control for you multi-format anarchists.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">MGS and zelda got 100% and big huge features, while half life got a measly 90% and a small article near the back?? what a wonderful oppurtunity to have the best of the 3 major formats of the time featured all at once, and ye spurned it. i demand an explanation or my £1.50 back!</font>

Half-Life had been out for quite a while at this stage, which is why we ended up with a smaller feature for it. As for the review scores:

Looking back through the original text for the mag, Zelda was the only game to get 100%. MGS got 98%, and Half-Life got 94% - some of the highest scores myself or Ben have EVER given in reviews. We both subscribe to the EDGE school of review scores (indeed, Ben has worked for both Super Play and EDGE) which is that 50% is "average", not "bad", and the whole 1-100 scale is used...

The reason that the scores are skewed in the magazine is because someone (who shall remain nameless!) decided that it would be a good idea to round every score to the nearest 5%, or 10% where possible. We didn't know about this change - which was made at the last minute - until the mag came back from the printers. Needless to say we were slightly furious - especially given the hours we spent arguing over whether Zelda was worthy of 100%, only to see MGS bumped up to 100% without us knowing! - and this never happened again, thank f*ck. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I used to get Amiga Format and CU Amiga alot years ago. Ahhhh nostalga

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

ah i see, it was bit suspect they way every score was a multiple of 5 alright, and yes 94% is a nice score for half life, as i personally think its over-rated as a single player game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Best games mag ever? No contest! The hilarous, outspoken and well 'ard "AMIGA POWER"!!!!!

Jeez- I still have about 20 issues at least of it in a box in the attic- any time I look back through them I just crack up...

Remember Cam Winstanley? Funny guy...

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

yea super play was n64s predecessor so id agree with that

joey joe joe junior shabadu...thats the worst name i ever heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

im not as old as most of u so i haent ever heard of wat ur talking about but my best mag has to be the old version of computer and video games (CVG) it was class for £1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Amiga Power for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Computer and video games.

We seem to have the same tastes in games so i trust their reviews more than any other mag.

'cept pc gamer

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

PC Gamer for sure. I have about 40 issues sitting here in a cupboard, rarely buy it now though, I can get all my games news/reviews and demos online for free and I'd rather spend the money on a proper book that I can't get online. When I get chucked offsurf no limits I might start buying it again tho.

Advertisement